Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default should a successful charge count as a steal?

Former Bulls Fan.

Default Re: should a successful charge count as a steal?

I think it should.

Also how about hockey assists counting as .5 assists?

Probably not, because a steal is a live-ball turnover (so they can start fast breaks), a charge is a dead-ball turnover. Charges should be in the box score, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    I think it should.

Also how about hockey assists counting as .5 assists?
    No, however I think they should start to track that as a separate stat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Probably not, because a steal is a live-ball turnover (so they can start fast breaks), a charge is a dead-ball turnover. Charges should be in the box score, though.
    Good point. A charge/failed charge % would be nice.

NBA Legend

They don't make distinctions among blocks based on whether it causes a turnover or just an inbound, or even goes right back to the other team in play. So I don't think that logic should apply to the steals category.

I'd personally support charges being included as steals. It's an automatic change of possession every time. That makes it statistically more valuable than a block. Why not track it as a mainstream stat (by including it within 'steals')?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    They don't make distinctions among blocks based on whether it causes a turnover or just an inbound, or even goes right back to the other team in play. So I don't think that logic should apply to the steals category.

I'd personally support charges being included as steals. It's an automatic change of possession every time. That makes it statistically more valuable than a block. Why not track it as a mainstream stat (by including it within 'steals')?
    A block is a different type of event though. It's just a forced missed FGA which may or may not be rebounded by either team.

NBA Legend

A block is a different type of event though. It's just a forced missed FGA which may or may not be rebounded by either team.

So what's the point of including blocks as one of the "main" stats? Why not just count it as a missed FGA for the opponent? I mean it doesn't tell you whether or not the possession actually ended with a basket or not.

I'm just saying that if we include something as uninformative as 'blocks' as a main stat, then why would we nit-pick about charges not allowing fast breaks? It's a direct turn of possession caused by a specific player's defensive effort. Rather than add yet another separate category to the stat sheet, I'd just as soon include it with blocks, and help get a better cumulative picture of which players force turnovers effectively.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    So what's the point of including blocks as one of the "main" stats? Why not just count it as a missed FGA for the opponent? I mean it doesn't tell you whether or not the possession actually ended with a basket or not.

I'm just saying that if we include something as uninformative as 'blocks' as a main stat, then why would we nit-pick about charges not allowing fast breaks? It's a direct turn of possession caused by a specific player's defensive effort. Rather than add yet another separate category to the stat sheet, I'd just as soon include it with blocks, and help get a better cumulative picture of which players force turnovers effectively.
    Bitch you're dumb as **** or trolling. A steal is a specific event. If charges were tracked it would be a completely different stat. It is not a steal I'm any way. It's a forced turnover, however, which is not the definition of a steal. A charge and a steal are two different things. I'm sure an elementary school student can understand the difference and needs no further explanation. Why do you?

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

nah

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

No. I can't really support any reason for it, but just for kicks if it did...then it would be Pippen who would by far have the unbeatable steals record and not Stockton. With all the balls Pippen jacked through his career (which equates to 2spg more or less for his entire career), and all the charges he took throughout his career...he'd have averaged 3-4 steals almost every single year he was on the bulls and 2-3 on the Blazers if they they both equated to a steal.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 04-16-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    Bitch you're dumb as **** or trolling. A steal is a specific event. If charges were tracked it would be a completely different stat. It is not a steal I'm any way. It's a forced turnover, however, which is not the definition of a steal. A charge and a steal are two different things. I'm sure an elementary school student can understand the difference and needs no further explanation. Why do you?
    Ok let's come up with a 'Forced turnover' stat where it accounts for steals, blocks that result in turnover, and charges.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Ok let's come up with a 'Forced turnover' stat where it accounts for steals, blocks that result in turnover, and charges.

If you're serious about this all you have to do is create a website and start tracking it. Could catch on eventually if you have enough people checking it out.

Time consuming though

Getting the ball and drawing a foul is a huge play. Often stops what would be an offensive bucket most the time too.

Ask any Raptors fan how huge some of Lowrys charges have been during tight games. They might not lead to fast break points- but, they do get the team and home fans (if that's the case) into the game.

What good is a block if it results in the team or even the guy who
    got blocked still getting the ball and scoring? A charge is a definite change in possession. To have blocks as a main stat but not charges is just another example of the many piss poor decisions made by the NBA. Just accept it.