Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Default Phil Jackson: "Dynasty Put to bed because of Shaq's Clown Role"

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/phil...bryant-lakers/

That Ether.

“Shaq didn’t work at it,” Jackson said. “Michael was able to succeed despite all kinds of limitations in his game. He couldn’t hit an outside shot. He couldn’t defend. But all of that went away because of his work ethic. Kobe saw that as a pinnacle that he had to reach, and he took it to a whole new level.”

“Shaq had a clown role he had to play,” he said. “So that was part of the rift.”

If this doesn't put the Kobe ran Shaq out of town rumors to bed, idk what will.
    Last edited by HOoopCityJones; 03-01-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Default Re: Phil Jackson: "Dynasty Put to bed because of Shaq's Clown Role"

not contradictory imo. Im not one of the believers that kobe ran shaq out of town, but i do believe that they could have four peated, if not more had the duo stuck together.

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

phil still mad ?

Phil is just finally speaking the truth.

Instead of taking up for a man child because he was the face of the League at the time.

Well yeah, that was one of the reasons Kobe chased Shaq out. He saw Shaq was not dedicated to greatness. And he couldn't really bully Shaq since Shaq outweighed him by 150. I'm sure another reason Kobe chased him out was because he wanted to prove he could win without him. Kobe, a true alpha

Not buying it. Kobe ran shaq out town. Period.

The great Leadership of Shaq:

“I got hurt on company time, so I’ll rehab on company time.”– Shaq before the ’02 season began. He had a bad toe and instead of getting surgery early in the summer, he waited until the Lakers’ pre-season began in ’02 to get the operation. That phrase he uttered showed his attitude and work ethic. It proves Shaq only considered basketball a seasonal job, not a year-round one.

“Pat Riley is the best coach I’ve had”– Said by Shaq in June of 2006 when hehelped the Heat win their first title. It’s one thing to praise your coach, which Shaq did, but he was making a point to tell the world Riley was better than Phil Jackson. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that, but it’s the timing of his announcement. Saying it privately to a reporter is one thing, but announcing it to the world the moment you win a title just makes you seem like you have a major vendetta. Clearly Shaq harbored a lot of hate in his heart and it manifested itself in many classless ways.

“Pay me, Pay me”– Yelled by Shaq at Lakers owner Jerry Buss during a 2003 preseason game in Hawaii. It shows that Shaq’s motivation is money, that he didn’t have the tact to handle things off the court, and it just shows his utter lack of class. Can you imagine any other player scolding his owner and demanding that the owner pays them in the middle of a game? Nobody else would pull off a stunt like that.

“Kobe, tell me how my ass tastes”– June, 2008, Shaq said this in a rap song he performed on stage. The rap was caught on camera and shared around the internet. Once again it shows that Shaq needs to get the last word, that he’s always in attack mode, and that he can’t let things go. He also looks foolish because Kobe ended up winning two rings without him and has more titles: five to four.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    "Kobe saw that as a pinnacle that he had to reach, and he took it to a whole new level."
    So Phil's saying Kobe took MJ's work ethic to a whole new level then?

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Because you can't read.

Shaq is a tough character to deal with. Same could be said for young Bynum, who Kobe (needed to) put in his place.

Why did Kobe and Howard clash? Still not see a reason/explanation for that. Maybe Kobe didn't respect his work ethic? The way he approached the game, not taking their craft as serious ala Shaq?

Like said, Kobe seems like someone where he'll get your back through anything if he likes you but if he doesn't he's one of the worst people possible to be around.

Basketball is Kobe's life. I'm sure he loves the Game, the Court, the Hardwood more than his kids and wife. Remember how Kobe never wanted to join his teammates late 90's/early 00's when they went out? Of course that's not being a great friend/teammate, but then again he felt like he didn't need that. No drinking, partying, drugs.

Kobe grew up in Italy, constantly on the run, and never really had friends for his entire youth.

Simply put, Kobe is a lone wolf, he doesn't give a fcuk about anyone&anything else but the one thing that he has sticked with, and has sticked with him, his entire life, Basketball.

Edit: Got to respect his dedication and love for the Game.
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 03-01-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Shaq is a tough character to deal with. Same could be said for young Bynum, who Kobe (needed to) put in his place.

Why did Kobe and Howard clash? Still not see a reason/explanation for that. Maybe Kobe didn't respect his work ethic? The way he approached the game, not taking their craft as serious ala Shaq?

Like said, Kobe seems like someone where he'll get your back through anything if he likes you but if he doesn't he's one of the worst people possible to be around.

Basketball is Kobe's life. I'm sure he loves the Game, the Court, the Hardwood more than his kids and wife. Remember how Kobe never wanted to join his teammates late 90's/early 00's when they went out? Of course that's not being a great friend/teammate, but then again he felt like he didn't need that. No drinking, partying, drugs.

Kobe grew up in Italy, constantly on the run, and never really had friends for his entire youth.

Simply put, Kobe is a lone wolf, he doesn't give a fcuk about anyone&anything else but the one thing that he has sticked with, and has sticked with him, his entire life, Basketball.
    Wish I could rep ya.

And ya , Dwight's proven himself to be an even bigger Clown than Shaq, not as destructive , but every bit the attention whore.

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

How much did Kobe pay Phil to say that?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

If this doesn't put the Kobe ran Shaq out of town rumors to bed, idk what will.
    Nothing ever is. They had issues. Well reported issues. Kobe stays Shaq goes after months of talk about if they could coexist going forward and all. Kobe signed a 7 year 130 million dollar deal literally the DAY AFTER Shaq was traded to Miami. The very next day.

Plenty of Laker fans were on here saying Kobe had run shaq out of town at the time. And even more when Kobe later demanded to be traded. The Kobe trade demand topics were a good place to see how people really felt.

I doubt Kobe told them to get rid of shaq. I believe him when he says they did what they had to do....but it always seemed pretty clear he no longer wanted to play with Shaq. And them doing what they had to do...was putting the team in his hands and ending the drama.

They got rid of shaq...he signed in the morning. Maybe its not running him out. But it had run its course. He doesnt have to say the words "Get rid of him" for that to appear to be how he wants it to go.

You can blame whoever you wish. But the Shaq/Kobe thing was over. Kobe was a free agent. Shaq wanted 100 million.

They made a call.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 03-01-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Because you can't read.
    Oh yeah? Keep that up and this thread will be reported as an agenda thread. You have been warned.