Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Dan Gilbert and Robert Sarver killed CBA deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Right. So good management > market size.
    yes but if both are well managed then market size is the determining factor. and most teams are well managed, its just that the SOFT CAP makes it possible for other teams esp the big market teams to inflate the value coz they can offer anything they want. Thats why there are overpaid players which you blame it to the owners when in fact the soft cap system is the one inflating the values of players. With the hardcap, these big market teams cannot outbid knowing they dont have the capspace to sign him.

3-time NBA All-Star

Because baseball has a minor league system which takes away from the talent pool for college. If the NBA had a minor league system, the interest in NCAA basketball would wane.
    Its just that basketball is really more fun to watch than baseball. But the nba was just mismanaged with lack of parity.

Most of Boston's titles came when there were only 8 teams in the league. Chicago only has more because they were smart enough to draft Michael Jordan, who brought them 6 titles. Outside of Jordan's years, the Bull's history has been awful.
    We can also say that spurs got lucky with duncan. Without duncan, then there would be no rings for them too.

Aside from Amare, who else is joining them? Amare would have signed with Phoenix if they offered him a max deal, but they were too cheap. So who else has left their small market team just to play in NY?
    melo who forced his way and chris paul too. maybe deron too if not for chris paul reserving first.

And in the past, shaq to lakers, tmac to rockets, kobe and magic forcing their way to LA.Kareem to LA too and now dwight to LA too. Thats a lot.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    yes but if both are well managed then market size is the determining factor. and most teams are well managed, its just that the SOFT CAP makes it possible for other teams esp the big market teams to inflate the value coz they can offer anything they want. Thats why there are overpaid players which you blame it to the owners when in fact the soft cap system is the one inflating the values of players. With the hardcap, these big market teams cannot outbid knowing they dont have the capspace to sign him.
    You do know teams over the cap can't actually sign max contract free agents right?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Its just that basketball is really more fun to watch than baseball. But the nba was just mismanaged with lack of parity.

We can also say that spurs got lucky with duncan. Without duncan, then there would be no rings for them too.

melo who forced his way and chris paul too. maybe deron too if not for chris paul reserving first.

And in the past, shaq to lakers, tmac to rockets, kobe and magic forcing their way to LA.Kareem to LA too and now dwight to LA too. Thats a lot.
    Actually the NBA had it's best run when it had very little parity in the 1990s with Jordan. Prior to that in the 1980s, it was the Lakers vs Celtics that brought the league up in the first place. The NBA actually had TONS of parity in the 1970s, when 8 different teams won the title. The NBA couldn't even get on live TV when it had that parity, and I would bet that most people could barely even name the teams that won in the 70s.

Carmelo Anthony was traded to NY. The Nuggets didn't have to trade him, but by most accounts they got the better end of the deal when they got to deplete NY's entire roster.

Since when is Chris Paul a Knick? That's news to me, but I am ecstatic that it finally happened.

All the other situations you are talking about were through trades. It's also funny that you didn't bring up Barkley forcing his way out of Philadelphia (big market) to Phoenix (smaller market) in order to chase a ring. In his case it seems the player wanted to win, and market size didn't matter. He wanted the better organization that gave him a chance to win.

Very good NBA starter

I'm still trying to figure out where all these big market teams over the salary cap have signed stellar players just because they're a large market. LA got Ron Artest and Steve Blake??? New York were horrible for ever and they only got Amare because they had the cap room and they still overpaid for him.....Which game changer did Dallas sign? How about Boston? 2 broken down O'neals. I'm not seeing it...........

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    I'm still trying to figure out where all these big market teams over the salary cap have signed stellar players just because they're a large market. LA got Ron Artest and Steve Blake??? New York were horrible for ever and they only got Amare because they had the cap room and they still overpaid for him.....Which game changer did Dallas sign? How about Boston? 2 broken down O'neals. I'm not seeing it...........
    That's because it's not there. You can go up and down through all the greats in NBA history and almost all of them made their names with team that drafted them. Shaq is one of the only ones that got drafted and left his team for a larger market and got rings.

3-time NBA All-Star

Actually the NBA had it's best run when it had very little parity in the 1990s with Jordan. Prior to that in the 1980s, it was the Lakers vs Celtics that brought the league up in the first place. The NBA actually had TONS of parity in the 1970s, when 8 different teams won the title. The NBA couldn't even get on live TV when it had that parity, and I would bet that most people could barely even name the teams that won in the 70s.

Thats why the league sucks after him. Fans from small market teams are already abandoning nba. Why would they support a league that doesnt give them a chance? Thats why nfl and mlb have higher revenues coz theyre fanbase is the whole country while the fanbase of nba is just the big markets. The problem with the nba is that arenas are empties. And thats because they dont have hopes for their teams.

Carmelo Anthony was traded to NY. The Nuggets didn't have to trade him, but by most accounts they got the better end of the deal when they got to deplete NY's entire roster.

Since when is Chris Paul a Knick? That's news to me, but I am ecstatic that it finally happened.
    I dont think they got the better deal. Time will tell but its not yet time to judge. Chris paul may not be a knick but it is where his interested. Did you hear him wanting to be in phoenix, san antonio,milwaukee?

All the other situations you are talking about were through trades. It's also funny that you didn't bring up Barkley forcing his way out of Philadelphia (big market) to Phoenix (smaller market) in order to chase a ring. In his case it seems the player wanted to win, and market size didn't matter. He wanted the better organization that gave him a chance to win.
    but still they forced to be traded there or to be drafted by the lakers so its still like free agency. And Barkley had a conflict with management. Much more funny if he remains on that team.

Where my announcement! Zackmorris's Avatar

Oh...the parity argument...

Decent playground baller

But this is only one point (revenue sharing) the real problem is the soft (hard) salary cap, they can agree on everything except that it seems.