Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain's Tall Tales

jlauber, do you believe the things OP listed?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I have read many other myths on Wilt, as well. Only a complete idiot would come with some of these...

He scored 100 pts in one NBA game. He averaged 50 ppg over the course of a full season. He averaged 40 ppg over the course of his first seven seasons...combined. He grabbed 55 rebounds in a game (and to make it even more unbelieveable, it was against Russell, who had 19.) He averaged 27 rpg in a season...TWICE. He averaged 23 rpg over the course of his career, and then 24.5 rpg over the course of 160 post-season games. He, a center for chrissakes, led the league in assists (and finsihed third in another year.) He supposedly shot .727 in one season, and .683 in another. He had the three highest "perfect" games in NBA history, with games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18 (all in supposedly the same season.) He has even been credited with making 35 straight FGAs. And, like anyone is going to believe that he had a game in which he made 28 of 32 FTs. Some crackpot claimed that he had SIX of the entire total of TEN 70+ point games in NBA history. Or that he scored 60+ points in 32 games...which would have been more than all of the rest of the entire NBA players who have ever played the game...combined! Another buffoon claimed that Wilt had 55 40-30 games in his career...which is completely out of the realm of possibility, considering that the rest of the NBA combined, only had six. He/she alos claimed that Wilt had 103 30-30 games, while we know that the rest of the NBA, in it's entire history, had a total of 28...combined. Some moron eevn said that Wilt had FOUR 50-40 games in his career (yeah right...including a 78-43 game.) And how could anyone have TWO scoring streaks of 14 straight games of 40+ point, and then average 53 and 54 ppg in those two streaks. Or that he scored 351 points in a five game stretch. Another goober claimed that Wilt had a 20-20-20 game (sure, like a center is going to get 21 assists in a game.) That same goofball claimed that Wilt had 19 assists in a playoff game, too. One clown claimed that Wilt anchored two title teams that went 68-13 and 69-13...and then to add to the crap, he also said that one of those team's won 33 straight games (where do they get these "facts" from?) Another simpleton said that Wilt had seasons of 48.5 mpg, and that he had TWO post-seasons of 48+ mpg. He even stretched those myths by claiming that Wilt averaged 47.2 mpg in his 160 post-season games, and that he has the SEVEN highest mpg seasons in NBA history. Another popular myth was that Wilt won scoring titles by 18.8 ppg; rebounding titles by 4.8 rpg; and FG% titles by a .162 margin over the next guy. Then that same myth carries on that Wilt outshot entire league's by margins of .271 and .244. One basketball "historian" had Wilt with 25 blocks in a game, and even claimed that Wilt had SEASONS of over 10 bpg. Even SI was not without their "lies", as they had an article which claimed that Wilt RECORDED 23 blocks in a game in 1968.

My god, Harvey Pollack, of all people, claimed in 2009, that Wilt held some 130 NBA records.

Where do these clowns come up with these totally unbelieveable numbers and facts?
    Are you gonna cry yourself to sleep?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    jlauber, do you believe the things OP listed?
    Let me put it to you this way...

Wilt was widely regarded as not only the strongest basketball player of his era, but among the strongest in the entire world. SI ran an article in 1964 which claimed that Wilt could easily bench 425 lbs...and this was well before he would become a 300 lb. benemoth. There is a documented eye-witness account of Chamberlain benching 465 lbs ...at age 59! Furthermore, just google Wilt's bench press. You will find the internet is plastered with claims of 550+.

Leaping ability? Wilt was a PART-TIME college HIGH JUMP champion (with poor technique BTW.) He was also a LONG JUMPER at KU. I also found it interesting that Wilt's COACH at KU set up an experimental 12 ft rim (and there were claims that Wilt was dunking on it.) AND, because Wilt could supposedly dunk FT's starting with a movement from just inside the FT circle, the NBA banned the practice.

Speed? Wilt was considered by MANY as the fastest player in the NBA early in his career. Hank Stram invited him to a Chief's tryout in the mid-60's, and Wilt outraced their fastest running back.

Furthermore, we have all read these supposed feats by Chamberlain...many of them EYE-WITNESS accounts, and the vast majority NOT started by Wilt, himself. But, think about this. Wilt played in the NBA for 14 seasons. He played with and against HUNDREDS of players. He played for, and against, dozens of coaches. He was heavily tracked by members of the media. And he was not a hermit, either. He was seen out-and-about, and in gyms, by many others. YET, we do not have ONE LEGITIMATE account that DISPUTES his legendary strength, leaping ability, and speed. Surely you would think that someone, of the many, would have seen Wilt's max bench press, and if it had been less than 500, or even 400, don't you think that they would have said something? We had an eye-witness account of Wilt touching the top of the backboard, and it was widely known at the time, that he could. Yet, why is there not one person who actually watched him try it, and if he failed, come forth?

Beyond his bench press, the internet is littered with amazing eye-witness stories of his incredible strength. Where are those that dispute them?

550 lb bench press? Very possible.

50" vertical? If you google Wilt's vertical, you will get hits of over 60". I personally don't believe them, but I think that 42" was easily within the realm of possibility.

20,000 women? That story actually was NOT started by Wilt, himself. A friend who owned a resort in Hawaii claimed that he witnessed 23 different women going to Wilt's room in a ten day stretch. Wilt was nearly 50, at the time, so he used the math of 2 women per day x 30 years. Is is believeable? Perhaps not, but those that hung around with Wilt would attest that he was swarmed by women.

Personally, I don't get hung up on these so-called "myths." We do know that Wilt was widely acknowledged as one of the strongest athletes in the world (and even well into his retirement), as well as an amazing leaper (here again, even after he retired and coached the Conquistadors, there was a story of a ball stuck up high in a guidewire...and ONLY a 37 year old Wilt was able to reach it), and speed, which has been DOCUMENTED.

AND, as I posted previously in this thread...there is the ACTUAL RECORD BOOK, as well (even though ESPN rarely cites it when it comes out with THEIR records.)

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiu
    Then he fvcked it
    While dropping 45 and 20

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    He killed a mountain lion bare hands and can bench press 550+
    In Chamberlain's autobiography, he describes a feat of endurance - driving his car from coast to coast, stopping only for gasoline and rest rooms. Ramsey told Cartwright that Chamberlain often toured across the country on a whim.

"He had this big Buick that could fly," Ramsey said. "One time Wilt turned right over in it but he got out without a scratch and just kept driving."

"Another time, Wilt was driving across Arizona or New Mexico and stopped by the side of the road for a minute when he was attacked by a mountain lion. Wilt says the mountain lion jumped on his shoulder, and he grabbed it by the tail and threw it into the bushes."

Cartwright looked as if he didn't quite believe it.

"Well, I wasn't there," Ramsey said. "But Wilt says it happened and I'm not about to say it didn't. Besides, he showed me these huge scratch marks on one shoulder. I don't know any other way he could have gotten them."

http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...g=4827,1508950

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3lDEUw2ik

- 50 inch vertical
    - Average 70+ ppg in the Jordan era
    - Slept with 20,000 women

I'm sure there are more.. but which one is most absurd? and does anyone buy these statements from Wilt?
    They are equally absurd

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    In Chamberlain's autobiography, he describes a feat of endurance - driving his car from coast to coast, stopping only for gasoline and rest rooms. Ramsey told Cartwright that Chamberlain often toured across the country on a whim.

"He had this big Buick that could fly," Ramsey said. "One time Wilt turned right over in it but he got out without a scratch and just kept driving."

"Another time, Wilt was driving across Arizona or New Mexico and stopped by the side of the road for a minute when he was attacked by a mountain lion. Wilt says the mountain lion jumped on his shoulder, and he grabbed it by the tail and threw it into the bushes."

"Well, I wasn't there," Ramsey said. "But Wilt says it happened and I'm not about to say it didn't. Besides, he showed me these huge scratch marks on one shoulder. I don't know any other way he could have gotten them."

Mountain lions often hang around the highways of Arizona and New Mexico. It's a well known phenomenon. Can't stop for a piss in the southwest without having to fight off one or two at least.

College superstar

- Average 70+ ppg in the Jordan era
    He actually could have done that.

The 90s was the weakest era in NBA history besides maybe the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1

No he couldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by gilalizard
    Mountain lions often hang around the highways of Arizona and New Mexico. It's a well known phenomenon. Can't stop for a piss in the southwest without having to fight off one or two at least.
    Lol

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

I was actually gonna award someone else for the most stupid post in this thread, but hands down: You did it. Go ahead and light a candle for your mamba messiah.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    I was actually gonna award someone else for the most stupid post in this thread, but hands down: You did it. Go ahead and light a candle for your mamba messiah.
    The 90s were a soft era.

The 60s was a far more physical and brutal defensive era. You didn't have all the p[FONT="Arial"]u[/FONT]ssy foul calls and superstar treatment like in the 90s.

The only reason I say the 90s was even better than the 50s because the 50s didn't allow blacks.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 02-20-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilalizard
    Wilt died at age 63.

If he meant 20,000 individual women, than that is an average of one new woman per day for over 54 years.

So if Wilt averaged a new woman a day (accounting for occasional nights off where he had none and thus needing to have days where there were more than one), he'd have to have started around the age of 9.

For every full year he started later than the age of 9, he'd have to had an additional (approx) 180 times where he had 2 women in the same day. Or 120 times where he had 3 women in the same day. Etc.

And all this doesn't account for repeats with the same women.
    His average was 1.5 women per day or so he says.

Also I think it is impossible to average 70 per game in the 90's I can believe he would be able to do it in one game at least.

Also the myth that Jordan could make a 100 in one game with today's rule, there is no way I won't believe that seeing as he just destroy the competition at will in his time. Heck he made all those 50 point game where he came back to the Wizards and he was out of shape.

Banned

The 90s were a soft era.

The 60s was far more physical and brutal defensive era. You didn't have all the p[FONT="Arial"]u[/FONT]ssy foul calls and superstar treatment like in the 90s.

The only reason I say the 90s was even better than the 50s because the 50s didn't allow blacks.
    How original. Troll somewhere else bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9

I've read this myself, and I wonder: Is this the only source concerning the puma attack? Because it definitely doesn't mention anything about him killing it. If so, part of this myth/"myth" is made up by storytellers themselves.