Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default Where Are All of the Great "Non-USA" Players?

I posted this question in another topic, but it is worth revisiting...

For those who claim that the game of basketball has grown exponentially since the 60's, 70's, and 80's...due to the popularity of the game in the rest of the world...

I ask you...where are all of the great players from Europe, China, India, and the African and South American continents?

Aside from Dirk, Parker, Peja, Manu, Vlade, the Gasols, a prime Yao, and certainly a prime Sabonis, as well as a few other players that I am forgetting at the moment...where are of the other greats from the rest of the world?

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Default Re: Where Are All of the Great "Non-USA" Players?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS

For those who claim that the game of basketball has grown exponentially since the 60's, 70's, and 80's...due to the popularity of the game in the rest of the world...

I ask you...where are all of the great players from Europe, China, India, and the African and South American continents?

Aside from Dirk, Parker, Peja, Manu, Vlade, the Gasols, a prime Yao, and certainly a prime Sabonis, as well as a few other players that I am forgetting at the moment...where are of the other greats from the rest of the world?
    There are not as many american players as good as those you mentioend mind, all of them besides Yao have a ring, or multiple rings whilst being center pieces to their teams.

As for your question, it's a pretty stupid question don't you think? Do you want an actual answer or is this just a feel good thread were you tell us about your patriotism with some sort of hidden message no one is going to give a **** about?

How's spending Christmas alone?

It's not just the greats though. The world has produced a lot of mid level players that can make NBA rosters. Thereby this, in effect, reduces the no. of jobs available for Americans on NBA rosters. There are already more non-US players on NBA rosters than there has ever been. So in past years, some of those Americans would have made these rosters today, if not for the internationals..

It's not just the players themselves too. It's also the new style of play they have brought in. Many internationals play a style that's more fundamental. They have certainly brought a fresh approach and flair to the NBA game.

Some don't like it, but I think overall, it has been for the good of the game.
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 12-20-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Not to mention most of the role player NBA ready guys playing in Europe rather play in Europe than have to work their way up in the NBA with no real guarantee of success and lots of precedented failures through history.

But this is slowly changing, the more open NBA coaches and in general lose the prejudices et al, and european players become more confident in said move (regardless of them being just good squad players) you'll see more and more european role players. Specially if "spurs-ball" is the answer to the actual NBA rules, kids in europe are coached better fundamentals from young age, at least, to play said style even though they're not as good in other aspects of the game, like finishing, handling the ball, or athletic abiltiy, **in general**

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    Not to mention most of the role player NBA ready guys playing in Europe rather play in Europe than have to work their way up in the NBA with no real guarantee of success and lots of precedented failures through history.

But this is slowly changing, the more open NBA coaches and in general lose the prejudices et al, and european players become more confident in said move (regardless of them being just good squad players) you'll see more and more european role players. Specially if "spurs-ball" is the answer to the actual NBA rules, kids in europe are coached better fundamentals from young age, at least, to play said style even though they're not as good in other aspects of the game, like finishing, handling the ball, or athletic abiltiy, **in general**
    This is where we can agree

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    There are not as many american players as good as those you mentioend mind, all of them besides Yao have a ring, or multiple rings whilst being center pieces to their teams.

As for your question, it's a pretty stupid question don't you think? Do you want an actual answer or is this just a feel good thread were you tell us about your patriotism with some sort of hidden message no one is going to give a **** about?

You didn't answer my question, either. In the last THIRTY+ years, aside from Dirk...give me a list of truly GREAT NBA players that have come from outside of the U.S. (And yes, technically Duncan was "non-USA", but his game was certainly developed in the U.S.)

I have read countless claims here that the game has EXPLODED in the last 30 years, due to the spread to the rest of the world. Yet, while the entire rest of the world has produced SOME very good players, where are their GREAT players?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    It's not just the greats though. The world has produced a lot of mid level players that can make NBA rosters. Thereby this, in effect, reduces the no. of jobs available for Americans on NBA rosters. There are already more non-US players on NBA rosters than there has ever been. So in past years, some of those Americans would have made these rosters today, if not for the internationals..

It's not just the players themselves too. It's also the new style of play they have brought in. Many internationals play a style that's more fundamental. They have certainly brought a fresh approach and flair to the NBA game.

Some don't like it, but I think overall, it has been for the good of the game.
    Again, you didn't answer my question. I KNOW that there are, and have been, many "foreign" players on NBA rosters, but where are their GREAT players?

I will give you Dirk (and I suppose a case could be made for Duncan), but that it is IT in terms of truly GREAT players.

Yes, there have been quite a few GOOD "non-U.S" players, like Manu, Yao, the Gasols, Parker, Vlade, Peja, and some I am forgetting.

And even the most rational Sabonis fans have generally conceded that even a prime Sabonis, was not on the level of the truly GREAT NBA centers. But, even if we were to concede that he might have been, that still doesn't answer the original question, does it?

You seem to have forgotten Hakeem, a pretty big omission.

Again, you didn't answer my question. I KNOW that there are, and have been, many "foreign" players on NBA rosters, but where are their GREAT players?

I will give you Dirk (and I suppose a case could be made for Duncan), but that it is IT in terms of truly GREAT players.

Yes, there have been quite a few GOOD "non-U.S" players, like Manu, Yao, the Gasols, Parker, Vlade, Peja, and some I am forgetting.

And even the most rational Sabonis fans have generally conceded that even a prime Sabonis, was not on the level of the truly GREAT NBA centers. But, even if we were to concede that he might have been, that still doesn't answer the original question, does it?
    You're right. There have not been a lot of truly great international players, just a handful really.

But so what? What are you getting at?

NBA All-star

busy being an wrapped talent

Drazen Petrovic was a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    You seem to have forgotten Hakeem, a pretty big omission.
    True.

Hakeem and Dirk. GREAT NBA players.

BTW, Hakeem was nowhere near even a good basketball player until he was developed at Houston U.

He certainly didn't step off the plane and immediately begin dominating in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    You're right. There have not been a lot of truly great international players, just a handful really.

But so what? What are you getting at?
    Just the FACT that with all of this "world-wide expansion" in the last 30 years, it's overall impact has not been dramatic. Where are the MJ's, the Shaq's, the Magic's?

You could make a case that Dirk is close to "Bird-level", but you could also argue that so was Barry.

With a world population that has far exceeded the U.S in the last 30 years, shouldn't there be a long list of truly GREAT "non-U.S." players?
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 12-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.

How about the last FIVE years?

Where are the KD's, Lebron's, and AD's?