Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dirk is a noble man.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Staying in your own franchise, demanding less money than a player of his stature deserves, all for the reason of helping the team and franchise improve is not noble?

What should he do, sign with another rival contender like Ray Allen, maybe that's noble for you? Or demand to be paid max and cripple his franchise? What he's doing is the best for the franchise at the expense of himself. I don't know why it even needs explanation. The new generation of fans are ruined by the Heat, soon these 90/00's loyal stars will be extinct.
    It isn't noble or not noble.

It just is.

He's taking a pay cut so that he can get more help around him to win a ring. He isn't doing it for some "noble" reasons... he wants another ring, and he wants help to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrush25
    If Dirk was so noble why didn't he take a paycut years ago so they could keep Steve Nash?
    I don't have the figures on me, but I'm pretty sure Dampier and Terry got paid more at the time than what Nash got in Phoenix. Dallas didn't want to give Nash a long term deal, there was nothing Dirk could do about it.

I really hope Dirk gets one of the big FA to come to Dallas. CP3 is a crapshoot but I think Howard is possible.

Da Mavs

If Dirk was so noble why didn't he take a paycut years ago so they could keep Steve Nash?
    that has nothing to do with Dirk.

wiki:
    [QUOTE]After the 2003

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Also he never wanted Charlotte from the beginning.
    Not true.

The deal was actually done a day ahead of time, and it was Vlade for a player to be named," said Bill Branch, the Hornets' head scout at the time who still operates out of Charlotte as a scout for the Seattle-now-Oklahoma City Sonics. "If I remember right, they didn't even tell us who they wanted us to pick until about five minutes before the pick was made. So it was never a matter of us actually drafting Kobe."

The trade was more about the Lakers' pursuit of Shaquille O'Neal in free agency and the Hornets' need to acquire a center than it was about Kobe Bryant.
    So basically, the Hornets agreed to swap the 13th pick for Vlade before they even knew the Lakers wanted Kobe. The Lakers told the Hornets to draft Kobe 5 minutes before they made the pick.

Another quote
    [QUOTE]
    what chance did John Calipari and the Nets have of getting him to New Jersey vs. skipping off to Italy, which was the threat by agent Arn Tellem?

i think CP3 would fit great in dallas. no salary tax plus playing a lot of your away games in texas where there is no salary tax helps too.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    It isn't noble or not noble.

It just is.

He's taking a pay cut so that he can get more help around him to win a ring. He isn't doing it for some "noble" reasons... he wants another ring, and he wants help to do it.
    Of course. Anyone can see that.

OP is on this board to bait and rabble rouse. That's it.

Might as well ask why he doesnt take minimum pay too

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    i think CP3 would fit great in dallas. no salary tax plus playing a lot of your away games in texas where there is no salary tax helps too.
    Ye taxes are a big issue. In Califoria I believe it's over 10% for millionaires. But I guess that could be offset by endorsements...

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Yep, might as well.

You're the one that started this thread based on a ridiculous premise that in some instances it's ok to take less to win and in others it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Derrick Rose is getting paid 5 years / $94.31 million. Bron's market value is a little bit more than that. Yes, he did take a paycut.
    Rose's contract is irrelevant. His contract was a product of the new CBA.

But market value =/= pay cut.

He saves at least 200,000 a year in taxes just in the regular season. Did he leave salary money on the table in Cleveland? Yes...but that's not taking a pay cut, that's him taking less than he's worth in terms of NBA salary.

With his income tax benefits from living in Miami and endorsement deals from living in a major market, Lebron is making more money now than he did when he was in Cleveland. How can you take a pay cut when you're making more money?

based on your great moral standards, name me 10 players who are top 40 players all time in the league who played for a club that has not won any rings in their history and stayed in those places for their whole life.

If he had actually played in that uniform and left as soon as his contract is over, then obviously I wouldn't respect the guy as much, although that act is pretty much the norm today.

It's a free market afterall, and that's why it makes guys who stay with their own teams, such as Dirk in this case, and willing to make it better much more respectable.
    This is the problem. You don't understand or respect the difference of market between LA and Charlotte for example. They are massively different. LA has a rich tradition of winning, it offers an inticing life, money, fame and everything else.

Or you can become basically a Reggie Miller and starve at the same shitty organisation for your whole career. However, no matter how stacked the teams he wins with may be, LeBron's career with rings is better than one without. That is undeniable. He probably wouldn't crack the top 10 without rings even if won 10 MVPs.

Yep, might as well.

You're the one that started this thread based on a ridiculous premise that in some instances it's ok to take less to win and in others it isn't.
    When Bill Gates donate $20 mill to charity is he not noble? Then some dumbass like you would ask, "if he's so noble, why doesn't he donate $200 million? Or all his money?"
    It'll never end if you view it that way, so how about you just appreciate the single act and gesture.

Dirk is doing it for the good of his franchise, that's why it's great in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Rose's contract is irrelevant. His contract was a product of the new CBA.

But market value =/= pay cut.

He saves at least 200,000 a year in taxes just in the regular season. Did he leave salary money on the table in Cleveland? Yes...but that's not taking a pay cut, that's him taking less than he's worth in terms of NBA salary.

With his income tax benefits from living in Miami and endorsement deals from living in a major market, Lebron is making more money now than he did when he was in Cleveland. How can you take a pay cut when you're making more money?
    why don't you reply to my posts when i say that texas has no salary tax and mavs play 2 Texas teams in their division. the best part is that it is much cheaper to buy a big house in dallas than in miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    based on your great moral standards, name me 10 players who are top 40 players all time in the league who played for a club that has not won any rings in their history and stayed in those places for their whole life.
    Why should 0 rings be part of the criteria? A lot of guys won a ring because they stayed and eventually got rewarded, e.g. Dirk. Those guys earned their ring, instead of bolting, why shouldn't they be included?

There's plenty of guys in the top 40 that stayed on the same franchise from rookie til the end of their primes.