Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or as

it's just a pass.

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or assist

It really shouldn't be counted as anything.

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or as

See Bob Sura against the Hawks when he tried to get a triple double.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Default Re: When you throw the ball off the board to yourself for a dunk/layup..rebound or assist

It's really more at the discretion of the scorekeeper. You either get the missed fg and rebound then made fg, or just nothing at all but the fg.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    It's really more at the discretion of the scorekeeper. You either get the missed fg and rebound then made fg, or just nothing at all but the fg.
    Not really. All scorekeepers do that. It was explained many times by annoucers during games. Do you think they hire scorekeepers without teaching them rules?

[Chad]: Come on SON! [Ocho Cinco]

I guess not everyone knows the rules because the team they support don't have an athletic monster like Kobe that does this at least twice a season and therefore making the announcers explain.

I usually hit open layups

Dude, give it up. It counts as neither. And the play doesn't happen that often so if the scorekeeper records it as a miss and rebound, then they are wrong.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Section XI-Field Goal Attempt
    A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into his basket for a field goal. The act of shooting starts when, in the official's judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position. It is not essential that the ball leave the shooter's hand. His arm(s) might be held so that he cannot actually make an attempt. The term is also used to include the flight of the ball until it becomes dead or is touched by a player. A tap during a jump ball or rebound is not considered a field goal attempt. However, anytime a live ball is in flight from the playing court, the goal, if made, shall count, even if time expires or the official's whistle sounds. The field goal will not be scored if time on the game clock expires before the ball leaves the player's hand.

straight out of the nba rulebook. what kobe did was not a field goal attempt. therefore there can't be a rebound. whether or not a stat keeper made a mistake on that game is irrelevant. understood?

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Scorekeepers rarely go by the rule book verbatim. Look at the home/road splits of a lot of players. There was a big writeup about it awhile back from someone with contact with a former scorekeeper, I think for Seattle.

I believe its a violation in FIBA. I'll check the NBA rule book.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I believe its a violation in FIBA. I'll check the NBA rule book.
    I'm pretty sure it is. FIBA has some ridicilous rules like being able to touch the ball and snatch it off the rim when a player shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Scorekeepers rarely go by the rule book verbatim. Look at the home/road splits of a lot of players. There was a big writeup about it awhile back from someone with contact with a former scorekeeper, I think for Seattle.
    Is that about the guy intentionally padding Nick the quick's assist numbers? Yeah, it's all up to the scorekeeper as to what he feels like that night.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Is that about the guy intentionally padding Nick the quick's assist numbers? Yeah, it's all up to the scorekeeper as to what he feels like that night.
    You have no say in this. People that get laughed off messageboards and threaten posters about beating them up through PM's should never be taken seriously. I everytime I see your name. What a coward

Pretty sure it's actually traveling when you do that.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Pretty sure it's actually traveling when you do that.
    Dumbest reply goes to....

Knicks 2010 Champs

In order for something to count as a missed shot, you have to actually attempt a shot. Throwing it at the rim doesn't always count as a shot.