Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Go Spurs Go

Default injured again once my athleticism starts to peak

sometime ago, finally dunking after about 3-4 months of intense gym and workouts... break my wrist on a fall and no ball for a few months.. goodnight gains

last year starting to get mad hops again, badly sprain injure knee out for 2 months, 6 months later im still very cautious about my knee...

today i was feeling SO FUKKIN JUICY on the court.. been on creatine, lots of water, multi, eating good, good workouts.. i went up BIG for a rebound, lots of people crashing around me, couldnt find my feet and landed on my tailbone/lower back GOT DAMN IT HURTS

very frustrating everytime my athleticism is peaking i get hurt . this is good timing for me though because midterms are going on sorry just wanted to vent to my hoopin bros

NBA Superstar

Default Re: injured again once my athleticism starts to peak

How did you break your wrist?

Learning to shoot layups

I know how you feel, injured my ankle for the 2nd time in 7-8 months. It's frustrating but, all you can do is do what you gotta do to get back out there.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    I know how you feel, injured my ankle for the 2nd time in 7-8 months. It's frustrating but, all you can do is do what you gotta do to get back out there.
    Oh man. I was just in that same boat last July through November. Rolled an ankle in the summer, rehabbed and rested until I felt more than healthy, sprained it again my first night back. Awful.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Oh man. I was just in that same boat last July through November. Rolled an ankle in the summer, rehabbed and rested until I felt more than healthy, sprained it again my first night back. Awful.

Ouch, yeah mine was was pretty much just as swollen. I'm going to start doing some wobble board at the gym tomorrow, and I've also never been a huge fan of ankle braces, because of how bulky they feel but these look pretty good.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...oogle-_-470600

NBA Superstar

Ouch, yeah mine was was pretty much just as swollen. I'm going to start doing some wobble board at the gym tomorrow, and I've also never been a huge fan of ankle braces, because of how bulky they feel but these look pretty good.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...oogle-_-470600
    I am unsure as to how I feel about ankle braces as well. After my initial sprain in July, I decided to just take my time, wait until I thought it was fully healed, and then wait a little while longer.

Still, I re-sprained my ankle almost immediately after returning, so I bought an ankle brace out of principle thereafter. After recovering, I used the brace a few times but as you said, it was tough to get over the bulkiness and allow myself to feel free on the court. I'm sure that's an issue thousands encounter and overcome each day, but I opted for laced up high tops and slowly reintegrating the ankle into action.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

www.ektio.com

i feel like a rep with how much i promote these on ISH, but i truly stand by the ektio - breakaway shoes, if you have chronic ankle issues

stability/support - phenomenal. the shoe is basically an ankle brace in shoe form. it really holds your foot in place, while the outriggers keep your foot from rolling over. (really, the only way to turn your ankle in these is if you land of someone elses foot pretty bad. and even then, chances are the shoe will keep your ankle from rolling)

traction - some of the best ive played with. on par, if not better than the cp3

comfort - the shoe does indeed look bulky, but it honeslty feels like a pillow on your feet. the insoles kind of wore out quickly, but no other issues beyond that.

check them out if you want to keep ballin, but always have the fear of hurting your ankle in the back of your mind. been wearing them for a year(just bought my 2nd pair) and have not had 1 ankle injury since. and i use to injure my ankle every 3 weeks or so. however, i did pull my groin the other week. but in no way was that the shoes fault.

Learning to shoot layups

Yeah, those shoes look interesting. First time I've seen them or heard of them.
    Are those ektio's online only? Or can i get them in store somewhere.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Yeah, those shoes look interesting. First time I've seen them or heard of them.
    Are those ektio's online only? Or can i get them in store somewhere.
    sadly, i dont think youll find them in any store. online stores like eastbay, footlocker and finish line have them, but only in there wherehouse i believe. it took a video review from kicksoncourt.com and rick barrys video testimonial (him and john starks are supporters of the shoe) to get me to bite the bullet and buy the shoe, and im thrilled i did.

so if you find yourself debating whether to get them or not just based on what youve read on different sites, its worth the investment. id say get a half size larger though. im usually an 11.5 and went up to a 12 in these and they felt perfect.

Learning to shoot layups

Gotcha, will def look into it. In the future

Serious playground baller

For you guys looking into braces and shoes I would work on strengthening instead of bracing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru49.htm

If you brace and take a bad fall then the strain will move up to the next joint which recovers a lot slower

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    For you guys looking into braces and shoes I would work on strengthening instead of bracing.

If you brace and take a bad fall then the strain will move up to the next joint which recovers a lot slower
    Great read and I advise anyone to do these exercises, they are very easy to do and are very effective in enhancing your athletic performance & avoiding injuries. People with weak ankles will continue to injure them no matter the braces or shoes they wear.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Great read and I advise anyone to do these exercises, they are very easy to do and are very effective in enhancing your athletic performance & avoiding injuries. People with weak ankles will continue to injure them no matter the braces or shoes they wear.

Another good read

http://spartanpt.com/the-truth-about...yourself-more/

i bruised my tailbone in HS. probably the most painful injury i've ever had. I've broken toes, my thumb, torn my rotator cuff, partial tear in my MCL, blew out my ankle. Nothing compares to a bruised tailbone.

My advice: get it checked ASAP. Tailbone injuries can lead to pinched nerves, as there a few major nerve endings in and around your lower back. If at any point you feel numbness go to the doctor immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv

very good advice. I've been telling people this for years. Braces are not a substitute for strength/stability. Relying on them will inhibit your muscles/body from learning how to protect itself from injury.

There is little a brace can do when you land on someone's foot for a rebound, and more often than not, you end up hurting something else, potentially even worse. If you are going to use support, use tape. There are really good instructional videos on YouTube on how to tape your ankles.