Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
oh the horror
NBA Legend

Default Re: any chess players?

I recently have gotten into chess so I’m not very good yet. I do enjoy the strategy involved for sure. I do have a board but online I use an app called Chess with Friends

Last edited by oh the horror : 01-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #17
pastis
Dirk top 15 all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
My USCF rating was just under 2000 back when I played. You really have to play a shit ton of chess to break into the 2100+
damn elo 2000 is damn good. isnt that already fide master title? i like to play chess from time to time but i lose on a regular basis against the 1400+ player. these are already players who are far beyond the casual player like me
pastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #18
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastis
damn elo 2000 is damn good. isnt that already fide master title? i like to play chess from time to time but i lose on a regular basis against the 1400+ player. these are already players who are far beyond the casual player like me

You need a fide score of 2100 to be considered a fide master.
A fide score of 2000 is considered a candidate master.

Keep playing and learning from mistakes and you'll be destroying a 1400 in no time.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
pastis
Dirk top 15 all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
You need a fide score of 2100 to be considered a fide master.
A fide score of 2000 is considered a candidate master.

Keep playing and learning from mistakes and you'll be destroying a 1400 in no time.

tbh, as i watched the tatachess tournament via stream, i was amazed (or rather shocked) how they literally talked about the opening (like the 3 or 4 firstt moves) about an hour. sicilian defense karokan etc.... crazy
pastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
GimmeThat
NBA rookie of the year

chess is best enjoyed with limited players and narrowing down the unlimited amount of counters beyond the fundamentals

my 2 cents
GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #21
moongaze
Astronomical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I wanna learn how to play chess

Today I was at 5 below an wanted to pick up a board

The best way to learn is online. Start off by playing against the computer on easy .

About the tournament, dr.drunkenstein ended up being Magnus. He comes up with some ridiculous usernames. I watched the tournament and thought it was better than the first one. Magnus and Andrew tang, penguingim1, played a lot better this time around.
moongaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongaze
The best way to learn is online. Start off by playing against the computer on easy .

About the tournament, dr.drunkenstein ended up being Magnus. He comes up with some ridiculous usernames. I watched the tournament and thought it was better than the first one. Magnus and Andrew tang, penguingim1, played a lot better this time around.

I assume Magnus won?

I hope he’s not actually takin the prize money every time. Would be cold blooded af if he is
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
moongaze
Astronomical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
I assume Magnus won?

I hope he’s not actually takin the prize money every time. Would be cold blooded af if he is

https://lichess.org/tournament/WfvjOFkB

he destroyed the field with a 85 percent win rate. He donated the 500 to lichess last tournament to up the first place prize of this tournament to 1000. I'm not sure if he donated the 1000 he won in this one, though. I dont think he did

and yeah, the world number 2 , Fabiano Caruana IS indeed the user bombegranate. He came in second in the first titled tournament but struggled this time, finishing outside of the top 10.
moongaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongaze
https://lichess.org/tournament/WfvjOFkB

he destroyed the field with a 85 percent win rate. He donated the 500 to lichess last tournament to up the first place prize of this tournament to 1000. I'm not sure if he donated the 1000 he won in this one, though. I dont think he did

and yeah, the world number 2 , Fabiano Caruana IS indeed the user bombegranate. He came in second in the first titled tournament but struggled this time, finishing outside of the top 10.

Fabi is in Deep Cover mode, not playing any lines that could reveal his prep for the Candidates tournament. Hes tanking in Tata Steel right now too, hes like on 1.5/7

He is a prep monster tho, so hed better make it pay off in March.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: