Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default You never really imagine taking layup for the game do you?

All the times you have done the "%....4....3....2....1..." thing in a back yard or shooting around with friends....

How often have you envisioned driving down with nothing to stop you and the layup right there for the W?

Almost never right?

But it happens...and when you miss?

Is that the lowest moment a basketball player can experience? Missing the game winning layup?

What could be worse? Losing the game on a turnover is close...but to have it there...in the palm of your hand? No longer a skill issue. Just you and a shot you have made 90-95% of the time once you reach even high school level.

And you blow it.

I feel terrible for those guys. Usually at least. This one feels like karma:

....because of the absolutely brutal travel.

But most of the time you feel bad. Everyones missed a layup under pressure of course. It happens to the best. Literally.

The best:

So im not asking to pick on anyone in particular......not even Ewing and his missed layup to win game 7. I suspect someone will mention Duncans too but it was with 50+ seconds left trying to tie so not exactly a game winner.

But like I said its not about anyone in particular. Im just wondering...

That has to be rock bottom right?

The floor for basketball performance? The ultimate pain?

Default Re: You never really imagine taking layup for the game do you?

Nick Anderson missing 4 straight FT's to clinch a Finals win is the worst thing I've ever seen happen to a player. At least in a game of that magnitude

I have imagined/practiced game winning layups.

End of ballgame with tired body running at near full speed with someone trailing makes this tougher than people would think.

More embarrassing for a tall person to get blocked by a short person, I did this once and never heard the end of it.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Nick Anderson missing 4 straight FT's to clinch a Finals win is the worst thing I've ever seen happen to a player. At least in a game of that magnitude
    Kawhi missed two BIG free throws in 2013 and so did Manu

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

The only thing that could compare is the unforced turnover. Down by 2, 20 seconds left. Guys bringing the ball up the court, he's pointing to his teammates where they should go as he gets ready to put the play in motion, and then he bounces the ball off his foot and it rolls out of bounds.

Sorry, no fancy gif to illustrate, but we've all seen it happen. No one within 20 feet of the player, and he fumbles.

https://youtu.be/BT55zpjT0v4?t=97

This OKC - Clippers game ending...

nevermind the bad call to give it back to OKC.. Crawford blows the easy layup, Paul turns it over twice. That's just brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

Nick really is kinda the light speed of choking. Hes the wall. I almost dont even count him because nothing compares.

Yeah blowing an open layup is embarrassing even when it isn't for the win so imagine the chokery at play. I can just imagine the guys in the gifs saying to themselves "don't miss don't miss don't miss.....****!"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I never liked missing a lay up period....
    When I did it in the finals , I felt like bearing myself.

The worst one I can remember is Ewing, either in the Finals or the ECF. I can't remember the exact circumstances but he made a good move to get free and hit the back rim.

That was game seven of I believe the second round because it was vs the pacers who didn

Local High School Star

I was fortunate enough to hit a gw lay up in a fairly competitive rec league playoffs a few years back, in my early 40's. Tie game, about 7-8 seconds left. I got the inbound and drove the length of the court, was able to cross over the final defender and finger rolled off the glass on the right side. One of the last competitive games where I actually played quite well (by my relatively modest current standards).

Now I'm in my mid-40's, running my own business, wife/kids, bills, etc. I shoot before working out several times a week, but hardly ever have enough time to play a game of 21, or 3 on 3, much less a full court five on five. I see all the 20 somethings running great games, and remember what I used to be able to do...

I was a pretty good small town high school player in the 80's, and played in some really good intramural leagues in college and grad school in the 90's. THAT GUY could hit game winning lay ups. Even a few years ago THAT GUY could do it. THIS GUY who I see in the mirror at 45 years old? Rusty as sh*t. I'd never trust THIS GUY to hit a gw lay up! Don't know if THAT GUY is ever/could ever be coming back...
    Last edited by Elosha; 03-20-2019 at 12:36 PM.