Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    코비=GOAT

Default High fat diet starves the brain.

[QUOTE]A high-fat diet of three days in mice leads to a reduction in the amount of glucose that reaches the brain. This finding was reported by a Research Group led by Jens Br

   

Default Re: High fat diet starves the brain.

do you think this is true across the board for fats, or could it differ by type?

the reason i ask is, i have a diet fairly high in 'healthy' fats, such as avocado, seeds, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    do you think this is true across the board for fats, or could it differ by type?

the reason i ask is, i have a diet fairly high in 'healthy' fats, such as avocado, seeds, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.
    It doesn't matter, like it says in the article the problem is the lack of glucose(carbs) and it's not about the type of fats you're consuming.

But as long as you have atleat 100-150 grams of carbs per day I think there shouldn't be any problem.

   

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 23
    It doesn't matter, like it says in the article the problem is the lack of glucose(carbs) and it's not about the type of fats you're consuming.

But as long as you have atleat 100-150 grams of carbs per day I think there shouldn't be any problem.
    thanks; i read the quoted portions. i'm curious what shlver might think.

as for carbs-- well, there are carbs and there are carbs.

i imagine that most people on shitty american high-fat diets (for example) are probably getting those 100 - 150 grams of carbs and STILL developing insulin resistance. in fact, likely augmenting it, based on the type of processed carbs that typically are involved in such a diet.

   

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    코비
    btw is that schapelle corby?

코비=GOAT

[QUOTE]Within only 3 days of HFD feeding, expression of proinflammatory cytokines increases in the hypothalamus of rodents as the key regulatory center in energy and glucose homeostasis (Thaler et al., 2012). These acute changes are later accompanied by a whole array of cellular responses, including gliosis, alterations in brain vasculature, and blood-brain barrier (BBB) integrity (K

코비=GOAT

btw is that schapelle corby?
    I don't know who that is. It's Kobe written in Korean.

Undefeated

Carbs cause diabetes, cancer, inflammation of the digestive tract, dysbiosis, and obesity.

A clean paleo diet is the healthiest diet on the planet. OP wants any reason to justify his oreo addiction.

"fats starve teh brain!"

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    Carbs cause diabetes, cancer, inflammation of the digestive tract, dysbiosis, and obesity.

A clean paleo diet is the healthiest diet on the planet. OP wants any reason to justify his oreo addiction.

"fats starve teh brain!"

Yeah a paleo diet doesn't have carbs at all.

코비=GOAT

thanks; i read the quoted portions. i'm curious what shlver might think.

as for carbs-- well, there are carbs and there are carbs.

i imagine that most people on shitty american high-fat diets (for example) are probably getting those 100 - 150 grams of carbs and STILL developing insulin resistance. in fact, likely augmenting it, based on the type of processed carbs that typically are involved in such a diet.
    Last part is especially true. You should be deriving your carbs from fruits and vegetables.

   

thanks much for the breakdown!

I don't know who that is. It's Kobe written in Korean.
    ah, google translate came up with "corby" and i just ran with it. :P

Last part is especially true. You should be deriving your carbs from fruits and vegetables.
    a typical meal for me is a spicy legume-veggie stew, guacamole with pico de gallo, or salad with egg / salmon. i snack on stuff like carrots, radishes, nuts, berries in season. and ramen / rice noodles with veggies (see below).

i don't eat enough fruit in general, but i have plans to get a vitamix blender so i don't have to waste the pulp as an average juicer does.

i sometimes add whole grains to my stews, like quinoa or wild & brown rice. but i have a weakness for noodles. i'm going to try substituting spaghetti squash noodles and see how that works. i'm also curious about trying shirataki noodles, as they're zero-cal, made from yams, and indigestible.

biggest problem for me is alcohol-- i like to drink after a workout, and that happens about three times a week. usually about 3-4 mixed drinks. i'm trying to cut down, but alcohol is devilish in temporarily relieving various health issues, plus some social phobia.

what's your diet like, if i may ask.

OP go have this argument with Lyle Mcdonald at his forums. PLEASE I BEG YOU. This man is arrogant as fck and is a nerd. Go prove him wrong.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG

"fats starve teh brain!"

This dude doesn't even ****ing know what Paleo is

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

For every article that says high fat diet is bad there will be an article arguing it and saying it's healthy. Same with carbs and same with anything diet related. Even sugar majority say it's bad but I've read studies that says its also good!

To me the the best diet is one that is mainly centered around plants and nuts with small amounts of meat.

Eat, not alot, mostly plants (Michael Pallin)

   

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    For every article that says high fat diet is bad there will be an article arguing it and saying it's healthy. Same with carbs and same with anything diet related. Even sugar majority say it's bad but I've read studies that says its also good!
    but as i understand it, that wasn't just an 'article'... more like an expanded abstract of a published study, with concise summations of the biochemical mechanisms involved.

not some wannabe-nutritionist or even registered dietitian opining their views.

btw, i'd like to see those articles advocating for a high-processed carb or high-sugar diet. sounds like some hilarious reading!

To me the the best diet is one that is mainly centered around plants and nuts with small amounts of meat.

Eat, not alot, mostly plants (Michael Pallin)
    i mostly agree with that.

about pallin- what he says about whole foods and avoiding preservatives makes a lot of sense to me, but his idea that 'anything prepared freshly should be okay to eat' still sounds like rubbish to me.

yea sure... eat as much bacon and cake as you want, as long as you freshly cooked it. (i'm paraphrasing from a long radio interview with him from a couple years ago)