Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Red face Tim Duncan's letter to Dwight Howard.

Big Brother: Dear Dwight
    A letter from Tim Duncan to Dwight Howard.

Dear Dwight,

It’s me, Timmy (it’s OK get the South Park jokes out now). I don’t talk much publicly, but I do greatly enjoy crafting handwritten letters. However, I don’t know your address and you may not even live in the same city by the time I finish so I’ll just type an email. We bigs have to stick together. Most of the media has forgotten me and embraced you as the NBA’s best big man but that’s OK. Anyways, I’ve been following your celebrity trade demands through the media. You’ve been more of a diva than Aretha Franklin making lunch demands on tour with the Supremes. However, that’s part of your problem. You should follow my example. I played four years of college ball while you came straight from high school. The simple truth is that I could teach you some things.

You could have been remembered differently than these other superstars that were more worried about their Q-rating and endorsement dollars than their ring totals. Orlando is a great franchise and a classy organization. But you should know that forming a championship nucleus is like dating on E-Harmony. Sometimes you meet in person and find out the profile photo your date used was taken 20 years ago.

Eleven years ago, I nearly flew to Florida so I could sign with the Orlando Magic. To a kid from St. Croix playing in San Antonio, Orlando was a major market. I guess we can agree to disagree on that point. I didn’t think David and I could win another title together because he was getting older and I was in my prime. I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace. This was before Tracy became a perennial All-Star and future scoring champ. Unfortunately, Grant’s ankles forced him to sit out 235 games over a five year span and he was never the same again. T-Mac and Hill never won a playoff series together while I won three more titles by staying in San Antonio.

You need a mentor. A slightly smaller Big Brother— if you will. As you may know, I learned from a true professional in David Robinson. Robinson was in a position much like you are now. After spending two years in the Navy after his college basketball career ended, Robinson could have chosen to become a free agent and play in Los Angeles with Magic or Chicago with Jordan. Instead, he honored his commitment to the Spurs. He spent nine seasons with San Antonio before we won an NBA championship together. We eventually won two and he’s hailed as a hero throughout Texas. He taught me everything including how to handle the NBA life, how to play the position and even which shaving gel to use. On the floor we played with military precision and discipline. You can thank Coach Pop for that.

You’ve never had these things, Dwight. You clown on Stan Van Gundy in the media and call out your teammates, but people are beginning to stop taking you seriously. You’re too good for that. You’re a blend of David and Hakeem “The Dream”. I’ve never watched Saturday Night Live but how you’ve never hosted it is beyond me. You don’t have to act like Charles Barkley for attention, though. I remember when you first came into the NBA. Tim Tebow reminds me of a young Dwight that had his head on his shoulders and had the Ten Commandments by his side. Somewhere along the road, you lost your way and ended up with a baby mama on Vh1.

I think you wanted Shaquille O’Neal to pass the cape along to you and be the Jor-El to your Superman. Unfortunately, it never happened. Instead, you two have been fighting like General Zod and Kal-El (I thought you’d appreciate the DC Comics references). Whether you realize it or not, you’re following in almost the exact same footsteps as Shaq and you’re also turning into him. After the immature way he’s behaved towards you and the melodramas Shaq has been a part of, do you really want that to be your legacy? Or do you want to be remembered as me and David will be? I want to pass the torch down to you Dwight as the Elder Statesmen of Big Men.

Life is cyclical. I’m getting older and averaging career lows in points, rebounds and minutes. However, last season we were the West’s No. 1 seed and despite Manu playing only 13 minutes of basketball this month we are currently first in the Southwest. You see, I was never a DC Comics guy but I do love Terminator. I’m like a T-800 cyborg and San Antonio is my Sky-Net. All we do is win down here without all the glitz, glamor or drama. Winning the dunk contest has its perks but winning NBA championships promises immortality.

I’ll likely be signing a more cap-friendly deal in the off-season and you’re the premiere defensive player in the game. Gregg Popovich is the best defensive coach in the League. You should come to San Antonio. Tony Parker told me to ask you, “Comment

Default Re: Tim Duncan's letter to Dwight Howard.

Not gonna lie, Dwight on San Antonio...

That could be scary. San Antonio gets so much out of its non-superstars, precisely the opposite of what happens in Orlando.

The ? to All Answers TheAesirsFinest's Avatar

That was a great read. Duncan tutoring Dwight

This would be a very nice turn of events.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Howard-Duncan, and Splitter-Blair of the bench

So, at the sametime he would rather have him build his legacy the professional way but if he were to make a decision, "go to the Spurs". Contradictive there on Timmy.

Decent playground baller Apogee's Avatar

Tim is classy

38th pick to Rockets!! ChandlerParsons's Avatar

nvm now I did

Banned

Is it really by Tim Duncan?

I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace.
    I know Tmac/Hill was possible. Was these other two? I dont remember that.

I am your soldier!

Dwight should listen. Even if Duncan can't hand around for a few more years, the front office always makes great moves.

B-Eazy Mike Beasley MichaelCheazley's Avatar

LOL Is that actually a letter from Duncan? He calls out shaq,VC,arenas and says alot of stuff that seem out of character. Regardless I think it could be good for dwight.
    interesting proposal by MR. Duncan.

Edit:Upon further review its clearly done by an author. Makes sense.
    Last edited by MichaelCheazley; 02-03-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS

Is it really by Tim Duncan?
    No lol... it's not

It was kind of cool, and I agree with overall idea of Dwight coming to SA, but it doesn't really read/sound like Duncan. I picture a letter like this coming off as more dry, intelligent.. and not so kiddish... but hey, it IS Slam.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

If you click on the link, it has an author. Tim Duncan didn't write it.

Banned

Lmao that was epic. Funniest thing I've seen or read today. Thanks for posting this