Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: But it is not all good news

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    disagree. reports are that luxury tax is anywhere from 2.5 -4 to 1 now. reports are also saying that salary cap is gonna be around 58 million. How does a team like the lakers get under the salary cap with nothing "major happening?" Kobe, Pau, Odom and Bynum combined make well more than that....
    That's the same cap as last year. Link me to a report on lux tax ratios. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, seriously, gimme a link. That's been a pretty big sticking point on my end. Either way, there's an amnesty (potentially 2 years worth of it), you can't get under the lux tax with 2 amnesties then your name is Otis Thorpe.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    That's the same cap as last year. Link me to a report on lux tax ratios. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, seriously, gimme a link. That's been a pretty big sticking point on my end. Either way, there's an amnesty (potentially 2 years worth of it), you can't get under the lux tax with 2 amnesties then your name is Otis Thorpe.
    I am hearing reports about the tax on tv.

Alan Hahn
    For those looking to already start fantasy roster-building, I've been told salary cap will likely be the same as last season: $58M. #NBA
    11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    here is the salary cap thing I found.

so the Lakers have to get rid of two all star caliber players. Goodbye to great teams, hello mediocrity!!

Banned

You can get under the cap and sign free agents, but there really have only been 2 superstars who have ever left there teams that way. Lebron and Shaq. Building up teams with tons of talent like LA has done is going to be impossible now. So yeah, players are going to leave their teams, but I don't think anyone expected they wouldn't. They just expect them not to have another 2-3 all star players around them when they do.

I am hearing reports about the tax on tv.

here is the salary cap thing I found.

so the Lakers have to get rid of two all star caliber players. Goodbye to great teams, hello mediocrity!!
    I know. That's the same cap as last year. The luxury tax threshold and the salary cap aren't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I know. That's the same cap as last year. The luxury tax threshold and the salary cap aren't the same thing.
    ok, haven't seen that yet. How high was it last year?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

The Knicks even with Amare and Melo are still 17 million below the cap after this season. It wont end up being that much with the rookie deals and roster being filled out but really...

With Chris Paul becoming a free agent can you see them signing long term deals this season with mid range free agents?

They will probably set up like Miami did and have guys ready to burn for cap space by just not picking up options.

The company that owns the Knicks generated over a billion in revenue. they are bigger than sports. Much bigger. If they want to make a superteam they can do it. It wouldnt even be difficult.

They had like a 120 million dollar roster in 2006 with nothing t oshow for it and a dollar for dollar tax that probably made the roster actually cost 140-150 million.

And that was to suck.

If they could sign chris Paul to pair with Melo and Amare...they could probably get the bosses to sign off.

Who knows though. I doubt the Knicks revenue is majorly impacted by how good the team is. Not compared to most teams. They sell out no matter what and will get people watching no matter what. So they may have less motivation to get people talking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    The Knicks even with Amare and Melo are still 17 million below the cap after this season. It wont end up being that much with the rookie deals and roster being filled out but really...

With Chris Paul becoming a free agent can you see them signing long term deals this season with mid range free agents?

They will probably set up like Miami did and have guys ready to burn for cap space by just not picking up options.

The company that owns the Knicks generated over a billion in revenue. they are bigger than sports. Much bigger. If they want to make a superteam they can do it. It wouldnt even be difficult.

They had like a 120 million dollar roster in 2006 with nothing t oshow for it and a dollar for dollar tax that probably made the roster actually cost 140-150 million.

And that was to suck.

If they could sign chris Paul to pair with Melo and Amare...they could probably get the bosses to sign off.

Who knows though. I doubt the Knicks revenue is majorly impacted by how good the team is. Not compared to most teams. They sell out no matter what and will get people watching no matter what. So they may have less motivation to get people talking.
    You don't think New Orleans would trade Chris Paul before that point?

Banned

And that was to suck.

You don't think New Orleans would trade Chris Paul before that point?

And that was to suck.

Knicks 11/12 = Melo (18.5), Amare (18.2), Billups (14.2) and some scrubs totaling around 6 mil. Knicks are FAR from under the cap, let alone 17 mil under.

ok, haven't seen that yet. How high was it last year?
    If the cap's still 58 then I assume (which, makes sense? I dunno) the lux tax would remain the same, which was about 70.3.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DaPerceive
    I would much rather watch a league with a superstar or an all-star in every team than a league with 4-5 superstars or all-stars in 5 teams and every other team is filled with scrubs.
    History shows that you are in the minority. Basketball is most popular when it has a handful of really good/great teams. Not a bunch of mediocre teams.

Building up teams with tons of talent like LA has done is going to be impossible now.
    Nah.

I suspect the Lakers/Celtics to fall off soon and people will claim its the new system doing it but they are just due to fall off again. Getting old. The mavs are old.

The Bulls/Thunder/heat should have their run. By the time things really switch up we will be talking about the next lockout.

Look into what people were saying the last deal was gonna do and how it fixed this problem and that one and secured the longterm blah blach blah of the league.

And all of a sudden....worst deal ever its gonna destroy the NBA. NFL says it cant continue al lthe big deals and this and that....giving guys so much up front...all that nonsense. 20 minutes Later fitzgerald gets 120 million to be on a team that isnt gonna win with or without him and Chris Johnson gets 9 billion dollars and stopped caring.

Same problems as always.

Ive learned from these lockouts now...no matter what results when its due to run out everyone is pissed saying things have to change.

But nothing ever really changes.

The Brooklyn Nets will somehow have Blake, Steph Curry, and Andre Drummond in 2015 with people pissed off that the Nets owner with 18 billion dollars just bought a great team because hes looking to boost his teams status for his overall real estate dealings in the area and sell his new arena as a major destination.

Fans are pissed, owners demand changes or no season, and the bitching resolves nothing just like in 95, and 99, and now 2011.

Banned

So you think LA is continuing going 15 million over the cap when they're going to pay 60 million to do that? I highly doubt it. There will still be stacked teams, but I doubt the same teams are going to go as much over the cap as they want to every year just to stay a step ahead of everyone else. The same teams will still pay, but they won't get as much out of it. At least I'd be really surprised if they did.

Knicks 11/12 = Melo (18.5), Amare (18.2), Billups (14.2) and some scrubs totaling around 6 mil. Knicks are FAR from under the cap, let alone 17 mil under.
    Not now. end of the season. They only have Amare and Melo with douglas as a team option after this year. Fields was a second round pick so he has a 2 year deal that runs out this summer. Turiaf and Walker expire.

They wont lets everyone go...and as I said have to deal with the rookies.

But they are capable of being under the cap. Landry has to be resigned but hes the only one id say they have to get back.

But they have wiggle room.

Remember...Miami wasnt supposed to even be a player on the level the ywere in free agency. They just pulled it out of their ass down the stretch.

The Knicks have the ability to get some room to work. Really...

Melo/Amare/Rookies aside...

What keeps them from being 10 or more million under a 58 million dollar cap(which I assume could rise...they tend to do that)?

Anyone with proof otherwise feel free to provide it. Im just looking at the teams cap listings online.

Amare/Melo and their 40 million...Douglas team option....

3-4 for the rookie.

Is it not possible they end up well under the cap if they let everyone else walk other than Fields? Say they give Fields 5 million a season.

48-49 million in salary. Cap stays 58 or gets near 60.

Wouldnt leave room to fill out the roster if they used the 9-10 million.

Perhaps let fields walk or dont resign him till after they get another FA then use his bird rights to go over the cap?

Someone into CBA issues help me out.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 11-26-2011 at 06:42 AM.

The biggest thing to look at from this agreement is the lux tax ratio and TV broadcast revenue sharing. Especially the local broadcast revenue, that's a massive reason why every NFL franchise is so profitable. Obviously with 16 games every single game is on broadcast TV, which means HUGE money. Clearly not possible for the NBA. We've seen the local TV deals Boston and LA have signed, no one could legitimately say when certain markets are able to reap rewards like those it doesn't turn the league into haves and have nots.

Not now. end of the season. They only have Amare and Melo with douglas as a team option after this year. Fields was a second round pick so he has a 2 year deal that runs out this summer. Turiaf and Walker expire.

They wont lets everyone go...and as I said have to deal with the rookies.

But they are capable of being under the cap. Landry has to be resigned but hes the only one id say they have to get back.

But they have wiggle room.

Remember...Miami wasnt supposed to even be a player on the level the ywere in free agency. They just pulled it out of their ass down the stretch.

The Knicks have the ability to get some room to work.
    Billups. Though the last year of his deal is only on the books if he's on the roster 5 days after the 10/11 season, which...I have no idea how they'll decide when that was.