Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ramnifications of a new Salary Floor?

Minimum payroll requirement -- known as "the floor" -- of 85 percent of the salary cap in Years 1 and 2, increasing to 90 percent thereafter.
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...box/index.html

The NBA's salary cap is $58 Million. 85% of $58 Million is $49 Million. That leaves the $9 Million in cap space.

That means each NBA team under the Salary Cap will have to spend money each season in order to reach the Salary Cap "floor".

So the choice is either signing guys to longterm deals they may not deserve or signing role players to 1 year deals for $7 Million or $9 Million to preserve cap space for the following year(2012 or 2013).

Free Agency is about to be a lot different going forward.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Ramnifications of a new Salary Floor?

There's going to be a lot more "overpaid" players that people will complain about.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...box/index.html

The NBA's salary cap is $58 Million. 85% of $58 Million is $49 Million. That leaves the $9 Million in cap space.

That means each NBA team under the Salary Cap will have to spend money each season in order to reach the Salary Cap "floor".

So the choice is either signing guys to longterm deals they may not deserve or signing role players to 1 year deals for $7 Million or $9 Million to preserve cap space for the following year(2012 or 2013).

Free Agency is about to be a lot different going forward.
    That's a 3 week old article. The topics it discuss are quite a bit off from the current agreement they reached.

90%....wow, that's a very small window........that's a little baffling

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

You'll just see more crappy players signed as roster filler to bigger deals to reach this floor. A salary floor is a stupid idea because it just forces rebuilding teams to waste money on veterans that might take time away from their young players.

[QUOTE=B

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    You'll just see more crappy players signed as roster filler to bigger deals to reach this floor. A salary floor is a stupid idea because it just forces rebuilding teams to waste money on veterans that might take time away from their young players.
    Yep.

I saw the hypothetical situation of Washington using the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis' contract. Apparently, if they did make that move they would have to spend $33 Million this offseason to get to the "Salary Floor" for this season. That would be a lot of money to upgrade their team, but this isn't a good crop of Free Agents. They would rather have $33 Million to spend in 2012 and entice Free Agents to join up with John Wall.

However, if they dont use the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis then they will be unable to make a play for any Free Agents in 2012. That is because Lewis will be on the books for the 2012-2013 season at $23 Million and they will not have any cap room to spend with Nick Young & Javale McGee expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    No no no......you NEED a salary floor....I thought 75% was a good compromise. With no floor, teams could spend nothing just to make a profit, compromising the integrity of the league.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

The salary floor is probably just a concession given the players. I'm sure a lot of the owners wouldn't necessarily want it, but will give it to players as a concession.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    No no no......you NEED a salary floor....I thought 75% was a good compromise. With no floor, teams could spend nothing just to make a profit, compromising the integrity of the league.
    word

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

The salary is a player benefit, because there will almost always be a team with some serious cap space.

Only problem is that it doesn't address all the bad contracts out there, an actual will contribute to even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Yep.

I saw the hypothetical situation of Washington using the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis' contract. Apparently, if they did make that move they would have to spend $33 Million this offseason to get to the "Salary Floor" for this season. That would be a lot of money to upgrade their team, but this isn't a good crop of Free Agents. They would rather have $33 Million to spend in 2012 and entice Free Agents to join up with John Wall.

However, if they dont use the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis then they will be unable to make a play for any Free Agents in 2012. That is because Lewis will be on the books for the 2012-2013 season at $23 Million and they will not have any cap room to spend with Nick Young & Javale McGee expiring.
    Might be wrong, but before this new amnesty clause I remember hearing Washington was planning to buy Lewis out after this season.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Might be wrong, but before this new amnesty clause I remember hearing Washington was planning to buy Lewis out after this season.
    I wonder how would that work though?

His last year of the deal, 2012-2013 is performance related.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    I wonder how would that work though?

His last year of the deal, 2012-2013 is performance related.
    Yeah, I don't know, not even sure where i heard it, just liked it cause it would give them a ton of cap space for Dwight.... wishful thinking.

Very good NBA starter

I think it's a good idea since there will be a more extensive revenue sharing program. It will force some of these perennial losers to sign veterans or trade for veteran contracts and start putting a product out there that fans will actually want to pay for.