Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why is Kobe considered inefficient?

So many haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Lol

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Kobe was more efficient than Duncan (compare their TS%) so it's pretty clear you don't know anything.

I love how you forgot to mention Tmac as inefficient when he was more inefficient than Carter.

TS% is GARBAGE.....it gives brownie points for those who get an abnormal amount of FT's vs. FG attempts. it doesn't measure FLOOR SHOOTING in any way.

Banned

if-you-look-at-kobe's-box-scores-there-are-a-ton-of-times-he's-taking-20+shots-and-making-a-low-percentage-of-them.

even-if-kobe-is-great-at-making-tough-or-clutch-shots,it-kills-me-how-he-seems-to-make-shots-harder-and-how-individual-he-plays.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The league average isn't shot under the pressure of a double team or being the guy that takes the bail-out shot when the clock is running down. This is partially Bryant's own fault for taking shots against double-coverage and it'd be easier for him if he played off of his bigs more. But regardless you shouldn't make the mistake of judging a player just based on a statistic.

Great college starter

Here's a prime example how FT's (officiating) affects TS%:

2005 Kobe Bryant = 56.3% TS%.

2009 Kobe Bryant = 56.1% TS%.....

2005 Bryant = 43.3%FG, 33.9% 3's, 81.6%FT..
    2009 Bryant = 46.7%FG, 35.1% 3's, 85.6%FT..

Now who here would argue that Kobe was better during the 2005 season vs. 2009?? I would hope NO ONE, if your smart.

How does Kobe shoot better in every aspect of shooting, but have a WORSE TS%??

Easy, FT's.....2005 = 10.1 FT's a game....2009 = 6.9 FT's a game.

This more than proves how TS % is absolute GARBAGE when judging a players scoring efficiency....

If your shooting better in every aspect of scoring across the board....you were a better shooter that year, PERIOD>

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The league average isn't shot under the pressure of a double team or being the guy that takes the bail-out shot when the clock is running down. This is partially Bryant's own fault for taking shots against double-coverage and it'd be easier for him if he played off of his bigs more. But regardless you shouldn't make the mistake of judging a player just based on a statistic.
    Shot selection is part of being a great scorer. LeBron and Durant rarely take the shots Bryant does because they're sub 40% shots that just hurt their teams.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    TS% is GARBAGE.....it gives brownie points for those who get an abnormal amount of FT's vs. FG attempts. it doesn't measure FLOOR SHOOTING in any way.
    I believe getting foul shots are even more of an efficient way to score because it puts the other team in penalty and changes how they must defend you. Creating contact while shooting is an art and those who have the ability to finish after contact are generally the most efficient players in the league.

Learning to shoot layups barnett114's Avatar

It's because he can't do this.

Jordan: 1987-88 - 35.0 PPG / .535 FG% / .603 TS% / .537 eFG%
    Jordan: 1988-89 - 32.5 PPG / .538 FG% / .614 TS% / .546 eFG%
    Jordan: 1989-90 - 33.6 PPG / .526 FG% / .606 TS% / .550 eFG%
    Jordan: 1990-91 - 31.5 PPG / .539 FG% / .605 TS% / .547 eFG%

via basketball-reference.com

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Shot selection is part of being a great scorer. LeBron and Durant rarely take the shots Bryant does because they're sub 40% shots that just hurt their teams.
    I have no real criticism for Durant's approach. James, however, has gone overboard in the opposite direction in the past. I like him more than Bryant but I can't defend some of the things we've seen from him in the clutch and justhope for his sake it's a mental thing he can get over. Bryant just has an unrepentant scorer's mentality. It means he'll never shoot 50% but he's got five rings and was the best player for two of them. Hard to argue with those results. If James had Bryant's mentality Miami would have beat Dallas.

Had Kobe not taken all of those last second end of quarter shots, he would have averaged almost exactly the same but shot about .025 better.

He took 22138 shots in his 1135-game career. He probably takes 2 of those shots every game, but let's just say he takes 1. That means he could have averaged the same number of points by taking 22138-1135= 21003 shots while making the same amount of baskets, which is 10052. His FG% goes up to .479, which is very good for a volume scorer.

That would have also increased his 3 point % to .440, assuming 90% of those last second shots were 3 pointers, which is very likely.

Don't even tell me that he hasn't taken those shots throughout his entire career, and you damn well know there are certain players who won't take those shots even if their lives depended on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I agree.

People think we can judge who is a superior scorer simply based on who scores more ppg, higher TS%, higher FG%, higher eFG%, but the truth is that it goes beyond that. There are a numerous of other factors to determine who is the better scorer and why some players stats are like the way they are.

LeBron has never been the best scorer in the league to me despite the fact that he has led the league in scoring at some point and is efficient. The reason why he was never the best scorer in the league to me was because I could never depend on him in the clutch like I could with Kobe back in his prime ('06-'09) or Durant today.

There are too many factors that people love to ignore because of the amount of numerical data we have access to. Sadly, the numerical data does not give us all of the information.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

I think he takes some of most ridiculous and stupid shots i have ever seen.Its a joy watching him when he makes those kind of shots however he takes so many of them.This is why he is by far the least efficient scorer in top 20 of all time.His IQ in this regard is so overrated.However this is what makes him kobe.Some of the shots he takes and makes its unbelievable.However sometimes he chucks chucks and chucks this is when it becomes very difficult to watch him.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Here's a prime example how FT's (officiating) affects TS%:

2005 Kobe Bryant = 56.3% TS%.

2009 Kobe Bryant = 56.1% TS%.....

2005 Bryant = 43.3%FG, 33.9% 3's, 81.6%FT..
    2009 Bryant = 46.7%FG, 35.1% 3's, 85.6%FT..

Now who here would argue that Kobe was better during the 2005 season vs. 2009?? I would hope NO ONE, if your smart.

How does Kobe shoot better in every aspect of shooting, but have a WORSE TS%??

Easy, FT's.....2005 = 10.1 FT's a game....2009 = 6.9 FT's a game.

This more than proves how TS % is absolute GARBAGE when judging a players scoring efficiency....

If your shooting better in every aspect of scoring across the board....you were a better shooter that year, PERIOD>
    Wow, great post wink. This should put the TS nonsense to bed

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Wow, great post wink. This should put the TS nonsense to bed

There's a reason why you will never hear analysts and announcers talk of TS% and stick with the %'s individually....cuz the individual %'s are far more practical and accurate in judging player and team shooting.

TS % is just some crap that Hollinger put together to lump all scoring aspects into one formula, without taken the WEIGHT of each metric into account.....much like what he did with PER, which is also a complete joke of a stat.
    Last edited by bwink23; 02-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.