Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Why SA gave Scola to the Rockets

Buck Harvey: Spurs lose Scola; they aren't alone

Web Posted: 09/02/2007 10:53 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Luis Scola held a trophy Sunday night, and the Spurs will hear about that.

They will hear more if Scola ever holds one in June.

At least the Spurs have an excuse for trading the MVP of the Olympic qualifying tournament. They are the champs, after all, with a set rotation.

But what about the rest of the league?

Shouldn't another team have out-bid Houston for this super-sized version of Manu Ginobili?

Scola wasn't really the best player in Las Vegas these past two weeks. Scouts would rank every player on the U.S. team higher.

But he was clearly the best player in the Olympic qualifying tournament not in the NBA. He's a smart, bullish scorer, and even the Spurs admit he's been more effective than Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick.

Scola was more effective Saturday, too. Then Scola outscored Splitter and Brazil, guaranteeing Argentina an Olympic berth, impressive because both Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto weren't involved.

Last edited by insidehoops : 09-05-2007 at 11:18 AM.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Why SA gave Scola to the Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Buck Harvey: Spurs lose Scola; they aren't alone

Web Posted: 09/02/2007 10:53 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Luis Scola held a trophy Sunday night, and the Spurs will hear about that.

They will hear more if Scola ever holds one in June.

At least the Spurs have an excuse for trading the MVP of the Olympic qualifying tournament. They are the champs, after all, with a set rotation.

But what about the rest of the league?

Shouldn't another team have out-bid Houston for this super-sized version of Manu Ginobili?

Scola wasn't really the best player in Las Vegas these past two weeks. Scouts would rank every player on the U.S. team higher.

But he was clearly the best player in the Olympic qualifying tournament not in the NBA. He's a smart, bullish scorer, and even the Spurs admit he's been more effective than Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick.

Scola was more effective Saturday, too. Then Scola outscored Splitter and Brazil, guaranteeing Argentina an Olympic berth, impressive because both Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto weren't involved.
\

I could name a few players on the US team that Scola outplayed. Miller, Billups, Chandler, even in the game Howard and Amare had their hands full with Scola.....

I believe Scola will be the biggest addition to any team, even over Oden. He knows how to play the game, he's been around...
YaoMacBat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

He'd make a great backup C in the NBA.

He cuts, gets into position. He does everything a center should do on offense.

Personally I think he needs to focus on D and rebounding in the NBA.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
jbot
Future D1 Dad

i wasn't all that impressed w/ him. i only watched one game of his though. still, i wasn't impressed.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
eeeeeebro
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
i wasn't all that impressed w/ him. i only watched one game of his though. still, i wasn't impressed.
considering scola had no team compared to team usa and he did what he did is very impressive put him in a good situation and good things will happen.
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
considering scola had no team compared to team usa and he did what he did is very impressive put him in a good situation and good things will happen.

don't get me wrong, i hope he has success in the nba. maybe i just didn't look at it the way you mentioned.

still not impressed.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

He's going to get those little pansy ass layups and flips around the rim thrown back in his face by NBA 4's and 5's. Ask Rasho Nesterovic and Shareef Abdur Rahim and Malik Rose, all guys who try to be finesseful and clever around the rim rather than go to the power dunk. That's the only beef I had with him though.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Make It Rain
Banned

Most international players make perfect role players. Nobody's expecting Scola to put up 20 and 10. They just need him to do all the dirty work. Rebounds, dive for balls, take charges, hit the open mid-range jumper when Yao's double-teamed. If Scola averaged 10 and 6, I'd be satisfied.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
He's going to get those little pansy ass layups and flips around the rim thrown back in his face by NBA 4's and 5's. Ask Rasho Nesterovic and Shareef Abdur Rahim and Malik Rose, all guys who try to be finesseful and clever around the rim rather than go to the power dunk. That's the only beef I had with him though.

Well looks like you havent seen Scola play much because he can finish strong at the rim..He knows when to use his power..Of course when playing dumb defensive players like Amare and Melo in the post you go to your skill finese game..

And if you wanna look at Argentian players scoring layups, why not check Oberto who isnt half as good as Scola..He does just fine scoring around the rim...

Scola is going to be a good starter and is a great passer and understands the game of bball...Unlike a lot of stars he knows what it takes to win..
IGOTGAME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
el_locoteee
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

How about this dunk over nene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptCd4RvqLs

BTW neither Duncan or Yao dunk that much and look how their games translate to the nba.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: