Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: North Carolina gave athlete's A's and B's in classes that didn't exist.

I'm not saying the athletes have it as bad as slavery. I'm saying the owners profit it off of it like slave owners did. Who else gets to pay thier employees nothing. I know they're giving out schollys but they're targeting players who arnt interested in school. That's getting away from the "student athlete" idea

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: North Carolina gave athlete's A's and B's in classes that didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Yet they still will not be punished as severely as USC was. ****ing NCAA
    Probes by both USC and the NCAA found that football star Reggie Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, and basketball star O. J. Mayo had effectively forfeited their amateur status (in Mayo's case, before he ever played a game for USC) by accepting gifts from agents. In addition, the women's tennis team was cited in the report for unauthorized phone calls made by a former player.[1] As a result of the ongoing investigation, which progressed well into the 2010-11 seasons for both USC and Reggie Bush's New Orleans Saints, Bush voluntarily gave up his 2005 Heisman Trophy, which the Heisman Trust decided to leave vacant.[2][3][4]
    USC dared give stuff to players.

Obviously you cant pay student athletes. All NC did was help them improve their GPAs.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    I'm not saying the athletes have it as bad as slavery. I'm saying the owners profit it off of it like slave owners did. Who else gets to pay thier employees nothing. I know they're giving out schollys but they're targeting players who arnt interested in school. That's getting away from the "student athlete" idea
    The truth is unless you succeed as a pro athlete, you should probably avoid mentioning you went to school on an athletic scholarship attached to major revenue sports (eg. mens basketball and football).

It gives a negative connotation about how rigorous your classes were.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    the analogy he used is crude, I will give you that. But I think he brings up a valid thread in this discussion.

Most of the athletes would prefer to take these classes if it means being in the gym longer and having a chance to compete for their spot on their teams.

If they major in "something real" and can't put in as many hours it may be difficult to put up the same level of competitiveness in practices/games.

While I won't liken it to slavery, the end result, swathes of athletes, a very large portion of them who are black, end up not getting a legitimate education and as a result are left without any skills to make any worthy contribution to society outside of professional/organized athletics. If there wasn't that culture that prioritizes their spot on the team over their education, then maybe it wouldn't be happening.

This for me brings it back to the whole "student-athlete" or "athlete-student" debate. Pay them if you want to make a gajillion dollars off them.

If they weren't so thirsty for stardom and wealth, maybe this wouldn't be happening. And this time I'm not talking about the players.
    Lets be honest no wants these kids to work hard getting a science degree or a business degree. You want them to get something bullshit in sports science or a communications degree.

They're at that school to earn money for the school. The time it takes to get a BBA in accounting or higher would not allow them to put the time in the gym

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Why can't people follow the rules and why do people allow these things to happen. I have no respect for these schools and the athletes..all are a bunch of lowlifes.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Why can't people follow the rules and why do people allow these things to happen. I have no respect for these schools and the athletes..all are a bunch of lowlifes.
    Money

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    These were basketball players who got to skip class.

Actually it was mostly football players. A couple of dumbshit basketball players like Rashad McCants took advantage of it but that pretty much stopped once Roy caught on. The real question for me is: If this was going on for 2 decades why did our football team still suck?

Funny thing is after the investigation has ended and the results have been published no one that went to Carolina will admit that they did anything wrong. Just yesterday my Facebook feed was filled with pissed off U NC alums bitching about the news coveragr girlfriend (who was an Af-Am major at UNC from '05 to '09) went on a 5 minute rant yesterday about people not being able to "let this go."

And the sad thing is as long as ESPN is led by a UNC alum I doubt that changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Funny thing is after the investigation has ended and the results have been published no one that went to Carolina will admit that they did anything wrong. Just yesterday my Facebook feed was filled with pissed off U NC alums bitching about the news coveragr girlfriend (who was an Af-Am major at UNC from '05 to '09) went on a 5 minute rant yesterday about people not being able to "let this go."

And the sad thing is as long as ESPN is led by a UNC alum I doubt that changes.

Carolina alums, me included are having a hard time with this. The current president and chancellor are right to attack this mess head on and expose all the ugly parts. The university will be better off in the long run.

There is talk of the dreaded "death penalty" coming down from the NCAA. I've heard whispers of Carolina having to void the 2005 basketball championship.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out because it goes to the crux of the problem with the current relationship between academic institutions and big time revenue sports. Some big changes need to be made, not just at Carolina but across the board, including the NCAA.

I was looking for this thread in the College BBall forum

They should vacate their 93 championship... but then Michigan vacated theirs because of Webber... wonder who would be crowned

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I was looking for this thread in the College BBall forum

They should vacate their 93 championship... but then Michigan vacated theirs because of Webber... wonder who would be crowned

Apparently the academic irregularities didn't start until the late 90s, early 2000s.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Carolina alums, me included are having a hard time with this. The current president and chancellor are right to attack this mess head on and expose all the ugly parts. The university will be better off in the long run.

There is talk of the dreaded "death penalty" coming down from the NCAA. I've heard whispers of Carolina having to void the 2005 basketball championship.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out because it goes to the crux of the problem with the current relationship between academic institutions and big time revenue sports. Some big changes need to be made, not just at Carolina but across the board, including the NCAA.
    Death penalty would be way too far. Penn State covered up child rape and didn't get that. UNC's violations are different but not worse.

College superstar

"African and Afro-American Studies department"?????

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Relax they didnt pay the players. the NCAA isnt going to death penalty here. This is not like SMU where players got paid

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Death penalty would be way too far. Penn State covered up child rape and didn't get that. UNC's violations are different but not worse.
    Death penalty is reserved by the NCAA for the heinous crime of paying "student" athletes