Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default When in the hell did the BerenstEin Bears become the BerenstAin Bears

WTF is going on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenstain_Bears

Does anyone remember these books as they appear now as Stain and not Stein? Seemingly they've all been changed to BererstAin, but I had always know these books as BerenstEin. I guess that I could have made a simple mistake as a child and misread the A for an E, but jesus christ I could have sworn that it was Berenstein Bears

Summary: Anti-semitism is at work in the future/an alternative dimension and just changed Stein, well known as a part of the jewish surname, to Stain symbolizing that Jew's are stains
    Last edited by Joyner82reload; 02-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Default Re: When in the hell did the BerenstEin Bears become the BerenstAin Bears

cry more

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Default Re: When in the hell did the BerenstEin Bears become the BerenstAin Bears

Always was Berenstain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    Always was Berenstain.
    Shutup Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    WTF is going on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenstain_Bears

Does anyone remember these books as they appear now as Stain and not Stein? Seemingly they've all been changed to BererstAin, but I had always know these books as BerenstEin. I guess that I could have made a simple mistake as a child and misread the A for an E, but jesus christ I could have sworn that it was Berenstein Bears

Summary: Anti-semitism is at work in the future/an alternative dimension and just changed Stein, well known as a part of the jewish surname, to Stain symbolizing that Jew's are stains
    Stan and Jan Berenstain's younger son Michael Berenstain (born in 1951) is a writer/illustrator and also illustrated many of the books written by his parents. He continued to work with his mother on new projects until her death in 2012, with a focus on promoting Christian religious practices.[4] Stan Berenstain was Jewish and Jan Berenstain was an Episcopalian.

The Bears themselves are Chritians.

Last edited by KevinNYC; 02-23-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Stan and Jan Berenstain's younger son Michael Berenstain (born in 1951) is a writer/illustrator and also illustrated many of the books written by his parents. He continued to work with his mother on new projects until her death in 2012, with a focus on promoting Christian religious practices.[4] Stan Berenstain was Jewish and Jan Berenstain was an Episcopalian.

The Bears themselves are Chritians.

The husband is actually jewish, he converted to christianity for his wife

Good college starter

I always remember it being Berestain bears, but I dunno. Maybe he changed it from Stein when he stopped being Jewish.

   

OP there's plenty of debate on this all over the net. check out how archive.org records it with both spellings but at different dates.

i definitely remember it as "E" and i'm a bit older than most on here. there are probably plenty of ppl who correctly remember it is "A" who are also unaware that it (apparently) changed at some point.

btw, "stein" means "stone" in german. it's a common part of german surnames, but since a big percentage of german-named ppl in the states are in fact jewish-germans (or descended from), that's where the assumption comes in that it's a jewish name. there were several waves of jewish-german immigrants to the states across the years... most probably fleeing persecution.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    OP there's plenty of debate on this all over the net. check out how archive.org records it with both spellings but at different dates.

i definitely remember it as "E" and i'm a bit older than most on here. there are probably plenty of ppl who correctly remember it is "A" who are also unaware that it (apparently) changed at some point.

btw, "stein" means "stone" in german. it's a common part of german surnames, but since a big percentage of german-named ppl in the states are in fact jewish-germans (or descended from), that's where the assumption comes in that it's a jewish name. there were several waves of jewish-german immigrants to the states across the years... most probably fleeing persecution.

There can be non-jewish Germans with the surname Stein but it is far more common among jews I believe because the connotation of "stone" is the jewel trade, which jews dominated in the days when peoples last name was their occupation.

Anyhow, I definitely remember the eponymously named Bears as Bernstein. I could nearly swear by it. I remember wondering why people pronounced it bern-steen when it shouod normally be pronounced bern-stine. In any case I remember it written as Bernstein.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 02-23-2015 at 06:09 PM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    There can be non-jewish Germans with the surname Stein but it is far more common among jews I believe because the connotation of "stone" is the jewel trade, which jews dominated in the days when peoples last name was their occupation.
    well, i think professions as surnames generally predated the recent diasporas.

not to mention, people's surnames also commonly referred to the area they came from or whom they were descended from. "steinberg" for example means literally "stone mountain" which one might guess referred to a large mountain without much vegetation. in fact in comes from an old saxon family and region.

"stein" alone also referred to the brewing trade and masonic trades, so we're probably talking about a lot of different professions that had that word in their name, both germans, jewish-germans and other settlers to germany or countries with strong german influence, like norway.

"bernstein / berenstein" also seems to be a made-up name altho it does have a jewish connection.

Serious playground baller CP343's Avatar

This is a super important issue. I cannot function until it is resolved.

   

Quote Originally Posted by CP343
    This is a super important issue. I cannot function until it is resolved.
    what blows my mind is that there's just enough info (and ppl who remember) to suggest that the name changed, but at the same time you won't find a single image online of a book with the original spelling.

obvious illuminati is obvious.

then again maybe i didn't look deep enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Anyhow, I definitely remember the eponymously named Bears as Bernstein. I could nearly swear by it. I remember wondering why people pronounced it bern-steen when it shouod normally be pronounced bern-stine. In any case I remember it written as Bernstein.
    I felt absolutely certain that it was spelled stein to the point of it borderline bothering me. Who the fvck would pronounce stain as steen or stine? And apparently it's never been changed, this was ALWAYS how it was spelled. Hell I'm under 25 and I feel like I'm losing my sanity.

Local High School Star Dr Seuss's Avatar

i believe they changed it to 'STAIN' once brother bear started having his night emissions.

cool guy

It never was "Bernstein"

Look it up