Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Has Lebron set the precedent for the next type of free agent moves for superstars?

Basically, instead of signing for the big market teams or a contender you should look towards the teams with the most assets. Being with a contender probably means no assets, very limited amount of years to do something and most likely capped out as well. Also, there is no chance to change things except signing minimum vet guys.

Instead, go to a lottery team with a lot of talented young players, plenty of good trade assets, bunch of cap space and no long time contract commitments. Just like Cleveland did with Love, they'd even have the pieces for a blockbuster trade to bring another star into the team.

If struggling superstars are smart, they should look to sign with the 76ers. Melo should have signed a smaller contract and then went to Philly. Imagine Melo, Embiid, Noel, MCW + another star that Philly could acquire through all of their draft assets, next years 1st round pick and somebody like Saric.

Instead, Melo is stuck in New York with no real future, no assets to make any movements for Phil Jackson. Maybe they'd get a free agent or two but honestly it will again be something like Tyson Chandler type of signings with rest of roster being min. vet guys.

Default Re: Has Lebron set the precedent for the next type of free agent moves for superstars?

Lebron has set many things for the future in a very negative way.

Default Re: Has Lebron set the precedent for the next type of free agent moves for superstars?

Well, here's to hoping the next wave of superstars aren't afraid of competition like he was and leaving when the going got tough.
    Here's hoping the next wave have a pair of balls.

#TakeTheEasyWayOut

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Well, here's to hoping the next wave of superstars aren't afraid of competition like he was and leaving when the going got tough.

#TakeTheEasyWayOut
    literally every free agent star looks to sign in the best situation.

Interesting pauk

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    literally every free agent star looks to sign in the best situation.
    Counterpoint: Melo.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

James signing with the Cavs is unique in a few ways. Coming from Ohio and then having started his career in Cleveland he had special ties to that area and the team reaped the benefit. His desire for rings is the reason why he signed such a short deal as it gives him the option to find a contender in his prime if it's looking like Cleveland can't get it done. Superstars don't normally have their hometown team (or something close to their hometown team) having max cap space and 3 consecutive first rounders to create a good supporting cast.

James is also a little freer to sign a short deal because of all the money he makes off the court. Guys like Melo and Bosh have endorsements but not like James. At any given time there might be three or four players in his stratosphere commercially. Most stars still make most of their money from their team so sacrificing guaranteed years or 5-10 mil per year is a bigger deal to them. And even James says he's not playing for less than the max any more. I don't know if he's said it directly or if he will ever say it directly but Anthony's decision was about the money. We've attached a stigma to that because society has decided that star athletes that make business decisions are bad people but lots if not most of them are still going to want those guaranteed dollars. They are all at risk for a career-altering or ending injury on any given play. And even if it doesn't happen they only have 10-15 years when they can make this money. With all the sad stories we have of millionaire celebrities that go broke it only makes sense to capitalize when you can.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

We've attached a stigma to that because society has decided that star athletes that make business decisions are bad people but lots if not most of them are still going to want those guaranteed dollars. They are all at risk for a career-altering or ending injury on any given play. And even if it doesn't happen they only have 10-15 years when they can make this money. With all the sad stories we have of millionaire celebrities that go broke it only makes sense to capitalize when you can.
    I agree. Players who take all the money arent somehow...worse people. Or less worthy of respect.

I ask only one thing...

Dont take all the money and release statements talking about winning.

Guy like Kobe takes a massive deal on the decline.....**** it. Lakers had it to spend. He makes them more money than they can pay him back. Hes a man looking to setup generational dynasty money...for the future of his family.

Fine by me.

Take all the money.

Just dont BS me and talk about winning.

You cant take 50 million at his age...coming off your first major injury...on a team that was already just average...and then claim to care more about winning than anything else.

You knowingly make it less likely your team can contend over several years....in return for the most money you can get....on a team trying to rebuild....

You arent about winning first.

Dont claim otherwise and I have no issue with anyone taking all the money they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    It is bs but I don't blame them for it. They say these things to placate the idealistic, judgmental (and perhaps a tad stupid) segment of the fanbase that just can't take the truth without losing their minds. They show up at games with signs, shout obsenities, troll them online with all kinds of excessive, uncalled-for nonsense, etc. A diehard Knicks fan may choose to believe that Melo chose them over Chicago because he really thinks Calderon and whoever they replaced Chandler with are better than Noah and Rose but most people with accurate info about the money know why Melo made his decision. No one is being fooled that doesn't want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It is bs but I don't blame them for it. They say these things to placate the idealistic, judgmental (and perhaps a tad stupid) segment of the fanbase that just can't take the truth without losing their minds. They show up at games with signs, shout obsenities, troll them online with all kinds of excessive, uncalled-for nonsense, etc. A diehard Knicks fan may choose to believe that Melo chose them over Chicago because he really thinks Calderon and whoever they replaced Chandler with are better than Noah and Rose but most people with accurate info about the money know why Melo made his decision. No one is being fooled that doesn't want to be.
    Chicago didn't make Melo any type of competitive offer. If you look at the threads after Melo signed, I find it funny that Chicago fans kill Melo for taking the Knicks instead of them but the fact is they didn't offer him shit. There are rumors they offered him 2 years with the "promise" of upping him later. Go back to those threads, I was always the one arguing Melo stayed because Chicago refused to pay him, the general (non Knick) board consensus was Melo stayed with the Knicks even though Chicago would pay him.

I'm not sure why Knick fans are getting killed for being delusional. What fanbase is realistic in terms of free agency? Boston?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'm not sure why Knick fans are getting killed for being delusional. What fanbase is realistic in terms of free agency? Boston?
    Well, actually, yes. We expected nothing and we got nothing.

Slightly more serious answer, NY got picked because of Melo. No other particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I agree. Players who take all the money arent somehow...worse people. Or less worthy of respect.

I ask only one thing...

Guy like Kobe takes a massive deal on the decline.....**** it. Lakers had it to spend. He makes them more money than they can pay him back. Hes a man looking to setup generational dynasty money...for the future of his family.

Fine by me.

Take all the money.

Just dont BS me and talk about winning.

You cant take 50 million at his age...coming off your first major injury...on a team that was already just average...and then claim to care more about winning than anything else.

You knowingly make it less likely your team can contend over several years....in return for the most money you can get....on a team trying to rebuild....

You arent about winning first.

Dont claim otherwise and I have no issue with anyone taking all the money they can get.
    or maybe Kobe is really just that delusional

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

#TakeTheEasyWayOut
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...e-to-be-traded

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    This argument always make me laugh my ass off. As if Kobe actually left the Lakers and didn't end up staying (and winning championships) once the organization got off its ass and stopped surrounding him with trash.

There's a difference between forcing their hand to acquire talent and making empty promises, then bolting.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    This argument always make me laugh my ass off. As if Kobe actually left the Lakers and didn't end up staying (and winning championships) once the organization got off its ass and stopped surrounding him with trash.

There's a difference between forcing their hand to acquire talent and making empty promises, then bolting.
    Like Cleveland didn't do the same thing to LeBron for 7 years?