Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Big Bobcats salary cap space this summer

Charlotte Observer:

The No. 2 voice in the Charlotte Bobcats hierarchy says free-agency isn’t a big fish-or-bust proposition.

Curtis Polk is the team’s vice chairman. Formerly a player agent, Polk oversees Bobcats owner Michael Jordan’s businesses. Polk advocated the rebuilding process that now could leave the Bobcats as much as $21 million under the salary cap this summer.

To fans, all that money sounds sexy because it would be the means to sign a superstar. Except NBA superstars seldom hit the open market, and a team coming off a 7-59 season wouldn’t be all that attractive to a game-changer.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Big Bobcats salary cap space this summer

Yeah that article goes on to say that adding a veteran role player/mentor on a 1 year deal is what the cats are probably looking at.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Gerald Wallace is an unrestricted FA. We should bring him back. JK.

Just looking over the FA list, I'm not seeing anyone I really want. And the idea of bringing a veteran in is highly unlikely, since 99% of wanted veterans want to go to a winning team so they can get a ring.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Gerald Wallace is an unrestricted FA. We should bring him back. JK.

Just looking over the FA list, I'm not seeing anyone I really want. And the idea of bringing a veteran in is highly unlikely, since 99% of wanted veterans want to go to a winning team so they can get a ring.

What they want and what they can get aren't always the same thing.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Honestly, I think guys would retire before they came here.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

My targets are Jamison (said he would like to finish his career here but it could have been just speak) and Farmar. The Nets need space and some of their fans think he can be had for just taking on his contract.

Another mention I've seen somewhere is Grant Hill. I'd love to get him too but I question whether he really would come here.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
My targets are Jamison (said he would like to finish his career here but it could have been just speak) and Farmar. The Nets need space and some of their fans think he can be had for just taking on his contract.

Another mention I've seen somewhere is Grant Hill. I'd love to get him too but I question whether he really would come here.

Between Jamison and Maggette we might actually get 20 games out of them.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Imo it's a two man free agency: Goran Dragic and Ersan Ilyasova. I know they are some of the most coveted this FA, but why not give it a shot?

Goran Dragic might be the type of guy who appreciates coming to a team where he could command more opportunity. He spent the last 5 seasons in situations where he really hasn't had a fair share of minutes, but he averaged 18 and 8 in his limited starts last season and looks like a very dynamic player. Since I have no confidence in Kemba or DJ I wouldn't mind bringing in Dragic.

Ilyasova is a good rebounder and a great shooter, and he's been playing in Milwaukee which couldn't have been that fantastic of an experience. He'll never be a world beater, but I figure he can be a dependable and useful player for many more seasons.

But I'm sure they won't even be pursued and the Bobcats will be looking to hand out a couple of 2 million / year contracts at most. Reggie Williams type signings, we have enough of those guys on the team.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
liverpooty
Local High School Star

If Im not mistaken per the new CBA rules teams have to spend atleast 90% of the salary cap for that particular season, so it isn't as if the Bobcats can just wait, and wait, and wait for a group of free agents they like.

Which basically means as previously stated that they will sign 3 a bunch of Reggie Williams type deals.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
If Im not mistaken per the new CBA rules teams have to spend atleast 90% of the salary cap for that particular season, so it isn't as if the Bobcats can just wait, and wait, and wait for a group of free agents they like.

Which basically means as previously stated that they will sign 3 a bunch of Reggie Williams type deals.

85% this year, 90% next and beyond:

Quote:
The salary floor, previously 75% of the cap, will increase to 85% in 2011–12 and 2012–13, and 90% in future years.

85% of 58 million is only 49.3 so let's say 50 million. If we let all RFA/FAs walk and just sign the #2 we'll be around 46 million.

The next year is when we have the real money to spend.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

You know what I just read there...

We're getting the 2nd pick again next year.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
You know what I just read there...

We're getting the 2nd pick again next year.

Hopefully we get the 1st overall, but I have no doubt that's part of the plan. So long as we're competitive (and it looks like we're going to be) I'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I know it seems like I'm in an "I want it now" position, but this draft sees like its really deep, and I feel like we could assemble a pretty decent team if we added one more lottery pick in this draft.

Something like MKG with the 2nd, and Meyers Leonard or Drummond with a lotto pick and we sign some FAs and BOOM. Tough Actin' Tinactin we've got a decent team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: