Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Who diserves HOF/retired laker#? Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Vlade Divac or Eddie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAmazing
    16points/10rebounds/4assists/2 blocks on 50% fg's in 94-95

he was the lakers mvp... best passing big man in the league

vlade is pretty underrated

and in 93 he was the leader in ppg on a balanced scoring team

Banned

Default Re: Who diserves HOF/retired laker#? Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Vlade Divac or Eddie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    16points/10rebounds/4assists/2 blocks on 50% fg's in 94-95

he was the lakers mvp... best passing big man in the league

vlade is pretty underrated

and in 93 he was the leader in ppg on a balanced scoring team
    A team that went where exactly?

NBA sixth man of the year

didnt i just get done saying "well if you say close to 20 is only 19 then yes he wasnt close."

but 17 is like 1-2 shots away from being 20

if someone put up 97 points in a game... you would say " well he basically got 100 points

you wouldnt say "no ... you would need 99 points to say that.. it was closer to a 95 point game IMO."

lol seriously... who cares if he wasnt close to 20ppg

he was a pg averaging 17points and 8-9 apg at the same time while winning championships
    I care because you said he was. He wasn't. There's a big difference in a 17 PPG scorer and a 20 PPG career scorer.

And the single game comparison is stupid. Of course you could consider 97 points "basically 100" in a single game. There's a much greater difference in 3 PPG than there is 3 individual points for just one game.

You re-write history if you consider every guy that averaged 16-17 PPG to be a 20 PPG scorer. It devalues the feat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sagr32
    A team that went where exactly?
    the 95-96 lakers won 53 games and had the 5th best record in the league
    the 94-95 lakers won 48 games and made it to the 2nd round

they werent that bad before shaq got there

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    I care because you said he was. He wasn't. There's a big difference in a 17 PPG scorer and a 20 PPG career scorer.

And the single game comparison is stupid. Of course you could consider 97 points "basically 100" in a single game. There's a much greater difference in 3 PPG than there is 3 individual points for just one game.

You re-write history if you consider every guy that averaged 16-17 PPG to be a 20 PPG scorer. It devalues the feat.
    and didnt i just get done saying 2 times that your right

so you basically said the same thing 3 straight times?

and now i'm posting for the 3rd time that ok.. fine.. 17 is not "close" to 20.. but its 17ppg, 8-9 assists on a few championship teams... which is verry good considering he had to share with allot of guys

are you just looking to argue?

The Lakers only retire the number of all-time greats. As much as I like them, none of these guys fit that desription. I hope they don't soften that stance and start letting role players in that club.

17 to 18 ppg is not 20ppg

Byron Scott wasn't the leading scorer on a few championship teams. The best I can find is that he lead us once in regular season ppg by a slim margin and once in playoff ppg also by a slim margin. He was a spot up shooter that couldn't defend and couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs.

Divac was a solid but not great player for us and his teams never got anywhere in the post season.

Eddie Jones

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    The Lakers only retire the number of all-time greats. As much as I like them, none of these guys fit that desription. I hope they don't soften that stance and start letting role players in that club.

17 to 18 ppg is not 20ppg

Byron Scott wasn't the leading scorer on a few championship teams. The best I can find is that he lead us once in regular season ppg by a slim margin and once in playoff ppg also by a slim margin. He was a spot up shooter that couldn't defend and couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs.

Divac was a solid but not great player for us and his teams never got anywhere in the post season.

Eddie Jones

you dont have to be an alltime great to make the HOF

have you seen the type of guys theyve been letting in lately?

and incase you didnt notice... i didnt say any of these players were worthy of the HOF

i said they were boarderline at best

i was looking for opinions.

but nixon would be the closest thing to a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i
    Eddie Jones.
    You MUST be joking, Eddie "I disappear in the playoffs every year" Jones, on talent yes, on accomplishments, hell no. I said that the Lakers would NEVER win a title with him on the team and I was right. The guy had all the talent in the world...as much as even Kobe but absolutely NONE of the heart to go with it.
    He was a horrible underachiever just like Lamar Odom.

I'd love to see Michael Cooper's jersey retired, he was HUGE for the Lakers Showtime teams. Larry Bird said he was the toughest defender for him to score on. Coop would run down guys on fast breaks and swat them from behind like Lebron, he would hit big 3 after big 3 and throw down crushing dunks......like I said, he was the guy who would always take on the opponents best scorer.
    I like Nixon, Scott and Vlade too but none of them deserve to be honored.

BTW, I was at every home game and some road games during the time.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 07-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.

you dont have to be an alltime great to make the HOF

have you seen the type of guys theyve been letting in lately?

and incase you didnt notice... i didnt say any of these players were worthy of the HOF

i said they were boarderline at best

i was looking for opinions.

but nixon would be the closest thing to a possibility
    I'm not sure what it was that I said to piss you off. I was only responding to the Lakers possibly retiring the numbers. That said, I don't think any of these guys belong in the HOF either. Those are my opinions

I agree that nixon is the closest but I wouldn't put him in the HOF or retire his number in LA. If any role player should have his number retired it should be Coop.

and didnt i just get done saying 2 times that your right

so you basically said the same thing 3 straight times?

and now i'm posting for the 3rd time that ok.. fine.. 17 is not "close" to 20.. but its 17ppg, 8-9 assists on a few championship teams... which is verry good considering he had to share with allot of guys

are you just looking to argue?
    The only reason I keep responding is because you keep adding in little comments like 17 PPG is just 1 or 2 shots away from 20 PPG. So, you're admitting you're wrong, but then you're also turning around and justifying it as almost the same thing. And I don't like that. That's all it is. If you had just said that you were wrong, I would have dropped it. You kept wanting to be the "I was wrong, but..." guy.

didnt i just get done saying "well if you say close to 20 is only 19 then yes he wasnt close."

but 17 is like 1-2 shots away from being 20

if someone put up 97 points in a game... you would say " well he basically got 100 points

you wouldnt say "no ... you would need 99 points to say that.. it was closer to a 95 point game IMO."

lol seriously... who cares if he wasnt close to 20ppg

he was a pg averaging 17points and 8-9 apg at the same time while winning championships
    It depends on the context. In this context, 3 points is a lot when talking about an average over an entire season.

Just like if I ran the 100 meter dash, if I ran it in 10.8 seconds, I can't just say "I ran it in 10 seconds". In a 100 meter dash, .80 seconds is a TON.

And in basketball, when talking about average ppg, 3 points is a lot.

I think Norm Nixon would get the nod out the guy you mentioned.

1. Nixon
    2. Scott
    3. Divac
    4. Jones

I'd love to see Michael Cooper's jersey retired
    Wow, Cooper's jersey isn't retired ?

Hell with that, Cooper should go before any of the players mentioned in the thread title, easily.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    The only reason I keep responding is because you keep adding in little comments like 17 PPG is just 1 or 2 shots away from 20 PPG. So, you're admitting you're wrong, but then you're also turning around and justifying it as almost the same thing. And I don't like that. That's all it is. If you had just said that you were wrong, I would have dropped it. You kept wanting to be the "I was wrong, but..." guy.
    and for the 4th time. your right

17 is not close to 20...

and for the 4th time... 17 points and 8-9apg on a championship team while having to share time and shots with 3-4 other hall of famers is verry impressive

why do you keep arguing? youve litterally posted the same thing 4 times now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I think Norm Nixon would get the nod out the guy you mentioned.

1. Nixon
    2. Scott
    3. Divac
    4. Jones

Wow, Cooper's jersey isn't retired ?

Hell with that, Cooper should go before any of the players mentioned in the thread title, easily.

lakers dont retire non hall of famers... hense wilkes just getting hof this year and will have his jersey retired this upcoming season

and for the 4th time. your right

and for the 4th time... 17 points and 8-9apg on a championship team while having to share time and shots with 3-4 other hall of famers is verry impressive

why do you keep arguing? youve litterally posted the same thing 4 times now
    You keep asking me questions, man. I'm not rude. I'm not going to ignore you.

My point was never that Norm Nixon wasn't a great player, my point was that he did not averaged close to 20 PPG for his whole career. Not "but this, but that", he didn't do it. Never came close. I never said the guy didn't have an extremely impressive career. My point, really, was that had he actually been a 20 PPG scorer, or close to it, he'd likely be in the HOF already. But he didn't have a 20 PPG career, so he isn't. Big difference between 16 PPG and 20 PPG for a career. That's all I'm saying.

If you do not wish to have my respond again, do not pose a question to me. If you do, I will respond. When people ask me questions, I answer. We're on the same page about Norm Nixon. I just want you to not act like he might as well be considered a 20 PPG guy. That's all. You have acknowledged that now. I'm good.

But as far as Lakers go, I think Bryon Scott should have his number retired before Nixon or the other guys. But I'm not sure if Scott or Nixon will make the HOF. Divac and Jones definitely won't. They'd be in the Hall of Very Good, but not the Hall of Fame.