Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default Thon Maker / Harry Giles / Jayson Tatum

who ya got ?

class 2016 is pretty intriguing .. but i guess it would still be a big man, i know there is a question about giles's knee that he suffered on his sophomore season .. but just seeing the man child that he is is scary.. on the other hand thon maker a 7'1 center who has handles and can shoot it from range is also not a push over. Tatum is kinda like a otto porter syndrome but he has that fade away jumper and a back to the basket game..

but am a bit favoring giles despite the knee problems..

Banned

Default Re: Thon Maker / Harry Giles / Jayson Tatum

ESPN doesn't have Thon Maker in their list of top recruits. What's up with that?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    ESPN doesn't have Thon Maker in their list of top recruits. What's up with that?

According to the article about his HS reclassification, they don't have Maker listed because he doesn't play HS in the US.

Banned

Damn, that sucks.

What sucks even more is that when I learned about Thon Maker I discovered he played basketball in my home state. He transferred before I even got to see him play. I would've did my own ISH scouting of Thon, would have been cool.

Josh Jackson probably needs to be put up there. Don't believe Maker is in the same class as Giles or Tatum as a basketball player. Not right now.

Long term I think Tatum might end up the best player. Not sure he has a weakness in his game. He has a great handle, pretty much plays like a PG with all the PG skills, improving shooting on what was already above average, unquestionably the best mid game in high school, and from a physical standpoint he's extremely long and very athletic. Also he actually won't stop growing. Last year around this time he was a tall combo (6-6) and now he's a 6-8 wing. Last I read, he might be 6-9. Obviously he needs to put on muscle, like anyone who is growing an inch a month. However, his skill and smooth game at that height is extremely rare.

From what I have been hearing, Josh Jackson is like Wiggins with playmaking ability. I still haven't had the opportunity to watch him, so I can't say either way.

I'll take Giles right now, though. Mostly because I'm bias towards NC kids. He looks healthy and his handle has improved so much over the last year. Almost to the point where I fear he will become a little too perimeter oriented. Thankfully it's more dribble drive stuff rather than falling in love with his jumper. There's a fine line I'm hoping he doesn't cross.

Also I would keep an eye on Kobi Simmons in 2016. He reminds me a little of what Tatum was before his growth spurt. Not quite the height of skill and overall complete game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Damn Thon Maker is finally here, I remember my buddy showing me clips of him like 5 years ago when he was 13 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Josh Jackson probably needs to be put up there. Don't believe Maker is in the same class as Giles or Tatum as a basketball player. Not right now.

Long term I think Tatum might end up the best player. Not sure he has a weakness in his game. He has a great handle, pretty much plays like a PG with all the PG skills, improving shooting on what was already above average, unquestionably the best mid game in high school, and from a physical standpoint he's extremely long and very athletic. Also he actually won't stop growing. Last year around this time he was a tall combo (6-6) and now he's a 6-8 wing. Last I read, he might be 6-9. Obviously he needs to put on muscle, like anyone who is growing an inch a month. However, his skill and smooth game at that height is extremely rare.

From what I have been hearing, Josh Jackson is like Wiggins with playmaking ability. I still haven't had the opportunity to watch him, so I can't say either way.

I'll take Giles right now, though. Mostly because I'm bias towards NC kids. He looks healthy and his handle has improved so much over the last year. Almost to the point where I fear he will become a little too perimeter oriented. Thankfully it's more dribble drive stuff rather than falling in love with his jumper. There's a fine line I'm hoping he doesn't cross.

Also I would keep an eye on Kobi Simmons in 2016. He reminds me a little of what Tatum was before his growth spurt. Not quite the height of skill and overall complete game.

I like Josh Jackson a lot. I like Jackson better than Tatum from a physical standpoint, and from a creativity standpoint. But if it's true that Tatum has grown that much, then I may change my mind. Tatum seems to have a much more sound assembly on his stroke, which bodes well long term. But it's not as if Jackson can't shoot, and he's struck me as more aggressive and more free wheeling creative in what little I've seen of the two of them ... which granted isn't much yet.

I would take Giles over either of them for size / skill / athleticism ratio that comes along usually just once a class.

Maker is really raw. Physically he's off the charts, and it may benefit someone who can get him to play like a real interior threat. But he is still so raw that it's not impossible he stays a one dimensional pick and roll defender style big, which is fine, but it lacks the upside Giles has in my opinion. And some of the stuff I read about Maker's thoughts now that he's re-classified would concern me if I were the GM of an NBA team.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

I also love tatum's game and the way he moves as if its all natural he doesnt have to force things.. his game is as smooth as they come ...

josh jackson is a bit of a sprewell in my eyes but a better play maker

am really excited about giles i hope that his knees would not be a problem... his body is like a man child but moves ala young KG. boy 2016 is really exciting

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    I also love tatum's game and the way he moves as if its all natural he doesnt have to force things.. his game is as smooth as they come ...

josh jackson is a bit of a sprewell in my eyes but a better play maker

am really excited about giles i hope that his knees would not be a problem... his body is like a man child but moves ala young KG. boy 2016 is really exciting

That Sprewell with better vision is pretty spot on.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Jayson Tatum is going to be a outright beast... IMO Thon Maker isnt up to the level of Giles and Tatum, at least not yet.

Decent playground baller

dennis smith jr

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Saw Maker live in action when we hosted the Jordan Take Flight Challenge at the Hangar a couple months ago. He did well against undersized guys but when he played against DeAndre Ayton he struggled. Ayton was giving him problems on both sides of the court and forced Thon Maker into taking tons of terrible off the dribble shots. From that tournament I can see that he needs tons of work on his post game. From talking to the other coaches/recruiters his potential intrigues them all but they still don't know if he will be a SF, PF, or C. The term tweener really applies to him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dab0yech0
    Saw Maker live in action when we hosted the Jordan Take Flight Challenge at the Hangar a couple months ago. He did well against undersized guys but when he played against DeAndre Ayton he struggled. Ayton was giving him problems on both sides of the court and forced Thon Maker into taking tons of terrible off the dribble shots. From that tournament I can see that he needs tons of work on his post game. From talking to the other coaches/recruiters his potential intrigues them all but they still don't know if he will be a SF, PF, or C. The term tweener really applies to him.
    I've never heard a tweener who could play three different postions. I don't know if that's good or bad.

How's his ball handling tho? And lateral quickness? I thought he was gonna be a SF in the Durant mold/

How did Ayton look? There's several out there who think he might be the best high school player in the country. Amazing considering he's a freshman. Watched the stream of the Bahamas game against UNC in the preseason and he killed our frontline. Had like 20/20, or close to it, and beat us... I'm telling you there wasn't any talent around him either.

I want to head out to the EYBL in Hampton if I can find the time this weekend. Heard Giles and Tatum looked great on Friday. Really want to check out this kid Matt Coleman on Boo. Apparently he matched up with Tatum (who is still playing PG for St Louis) and Tatum worked him on both ends. But he's been rising in 2017 and I think UNC is going to end up trying to recruit him with Jalek. Only seen his mixes, although for some reason I got a Kyrie Irving feeling about him. Which is odd because they don't play too similarly based on his highlights.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 04-11-2015 at 03:36 AM.