Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GM David griffin have made JR Smith incredibly competitive and aggressive offer

Default Re: GM David griffin have made JR Smith incredibly competitive and aggressive offer

Turn it down JR. You deserve more. They don't appreciate you.

Default Re: GM David griffin have made JR Smith incredibly competitive and aggressive offer

I wouldn't be signing for any less than Luol Deng who got 4/72m

And you can call it crazy, but Deng got that, Turner got 4/70, mozgov 4/64, Parsons 4/94, Fournier 5/85, Noah 4/72, Bazemore 4/70, Mahinmi 4/64, Barnes 4/94, Crabbe 4/75...........

Banned

Stupid. JR Smith is gonna be a major bust next season. Kick him to the curb and sign Gary Neal for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    And you can call it crazy, but Deng got that, Turner got 4/70, mozgov 4/64, Parsons 4/94, Fournier 5/85, Noah 4/72, Bazemore 4/70, Mahinmi 4/64, Barnes 4/94, Crabbe 4/75...........
    Yep.

It's wrong, but it's right.

You are not crazy.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

How quickly people forget that JR Smith was considered a throwaway back when he first came to the Cavs.

It's probable that living in boring Cleveland, having a legit shot at a title and LeBron's guidance are what "righted" him, so to speak. He's not worth 4/70. No way. You don't sign guys to bad contracts because the rest of the league is giving away bad contracts. That's shortsighted at best and idiotic at worst.

That being said, he is an important part of the Cavs' success and if they don't re-sign him they're going to hurt badly.

They both need each other.

most of those guys are better than jr tho

College superstar

Its so aggressive and competitive he wouldn't even leak the offer? Doesn't sound too aggressive to me...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Deng has never crashed and burned the way JR did in New York. Where are all the other teams lining up to pay JR $15 million a year? Because Deng tested his worth and that was the salary that the market dictated.

Smith has been free to do the same thing in the last couple months and I'm sure if he were getting offers of $17.5 million a year for 4 seasons, the Cavs would be made aware of it.

JR is important to the Cavs, but on teams that aren't as talented and don't have LeBron James on them? Well, that's a little riskier than Luol Deng ... as evidenced by the Knicks having to lose Shumpert and a 1st round pick in order to unload JR's $6.5 million a year contract

All things considered, he should take this offer and be thrilled that he has landed in such a perfect situation with his career on the skids.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

nothing to see here. Rich Paul just being an ass with contract negotiations just like he was with Eric Bledsoe and Tristan Thompson.

I could honestly care less if the Cavs sign JR this year. Sure they could use him, but I hope the cavs and the rest of the NBA stop empowering Rich Paul's ransom demands.

Very good NBA starter

JR has no leverage. Like others said, if he was a commodity someone would have snatched him by now.

I believe the Cavs have no issue paying him 15 million a year, they just want to do a short deal and I believe he wants a 4-5 year deal. If I'm the Cavs, giving JR that much security can be dangerous.

Give JR a 3 year deal at 15-16 million with a player option for year 3. If he takes year 3, you have an expirer for a 3 and D player.

Decent playground baller

You're worth what you can leverage, and you cant really leverage much without a competing offer. I'm sure whatever JR ends up signing for wont be much higher than the offer he got in July. Same thing happened with TT last year, and he only got like 500K/year extra

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jrjim
    You're worth what you can leverage, and you cant really leverage much without a competing offer. I'm sure whatever JR ends up signing for wont be much higher than the offer he got in July. Same thing happened with TT last year, and he only got like 500K/year extra
    Is that all? 500k/yr for 5 years? And for all that the only thing he had to do was not show up for work? To extend his vacation?

Bill Gates would take that deal. You must be some kind of high roller.

Here is JRs leverage:

Kyrie is an injury prone PG. They lost his backup to FA. They lost the backup to the backup PG to retirement. The only other PG on the squad right now is a 5'7" late second round pick. The SG spot is far worse. Without JR they have Iman Shumpert, who was dreadful last year AND is REALLY injury prone. His backup is Jordan McCrae who is a decent slasher but horrific defender and non-NBA player JUST LAST YEAR (played on several different 10 day deals for multiple teams but spent the majority of the year playing in the NBDL).

That's it. Not only do they need to pay JR, they need to get at least another G. Because from where I sit, they have 1 G that would see any min for GSW on their roster without JR.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Is that all? 500k/yr for 5 years? And for all that the only thing he had to do was not show up for work? To extend his vacation?

Bill Gates would take that deal. You must be some kind of high roller.

Here is JRs leverage:

Kyrie is an injury prone PG. They lost his backup to FA. They lost the backup to the backup PG to retirement. The only other PG on the squad right now is a 5'7" late second round pick. The SG spot is far worse. Without JR they have Iman Shumpert, who was dreadful last year AND is REALLY injury prone. His backup is Jordan McCrae who is a decent slasher but horrific defender and non-NBA player JUST LAST YEAR (played on several different 10 day deals for multiple teams but spent the majority of the year playing in the NBDL).

That's it. Not only do they need to pay JR, they need to get at least another G. Because from where I sit, they have 1 G that would see any min for GSW on their roster without JR.
    So ... his leverage is that he can sit out the season if he doesn't get more than what the Cavs are offering? I guess that is true, but $15 million is more than $0. He doesn't have any offers -- as far as we know -- even close to what the Cavs are giving him.

Sitting out and burning bridges with the franchise who you've resurrected your career with while they have a perfectly reasonable offer on the table seems counterproductive to me.