Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Anthony Mason has died

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry. He had a lot to do with the 90s Knicks along with Oakley and Starks. His toughness was second to none, I would go to war with him every time even in the modern day era. He could run point forward and wow man his defense!

My favorite moment from him was the year the Bulls went 72-10. The Knicks were struggling, I think it was the year Riley quit and the Knicks got off to a tough start. So the record setting Bulls visiting the Garden, and Van Gundy puts Mason on Jordan. Man, that was such an awesome game. Jordan is the GOAT so of course he got his 30 points, but wow were they all earned. I remember him forcing MJ into countless turnovers and the Knicks crushed the dominating Bulls 104-72. It was the highlight of the season. The Knicks went on to make the playoffs and of course upset their 1st round team and had to play the Bulls in the 2nd round. Knicks lost in 5, I blame the scheduling as they had the audacity to schedule back to back games (Saturday & Sunday) at the Garden essentially ruining any chance of defending the homecourt (they won game 3 and lost a close game 4). My point is, Mason is the guy that could literally guard every position. Maybe not the speedy PG, but he guarded Jordan and he guarded Olajuwon. For goodness sakes in the 94 Finals, it was Mason on Olajuwon as he was too fast for Ewing. He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.

Regardless, RIP Mason. You were one of the reasons I loved Basketball. Your heart, your grit, your toughness, your defense. I miss the 90s Knicks more and more everyday knowing they have to go forward led by a pretender like Melo. Will miss you <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCUCTp7CqE
    Good Post! Yeah Mason in those early years had those quick feet for a guy that was massive. Then you noticed that he really could bring the ball upcourt. You just kept seeing a different aspect of his game every year for the entire Knick run. Lead the league in minutes played his last year here. He evolved into a 16/11/6 and an allstar, all NBA team (3rd), all defensive team, one of the leagues true enforcers and had one of the best all-around games in the league. All of this coming from a third round pick! a local guy that I would see at the supermarket and courts over by the Merrick blvd depot.

In his later years Mason, was one of the most massive players in the league. Only guy I saw that felt like he was as big as Shaq in person - I'm pretty sure his shoulder girth measured bigger than Shaq's. When Mase came into clubs, he was so much bigger than the football players, Lawrence Taylor, plethora of body guards along with Mike Tyson, that it made you go "Wow wtf". When Oakley was with him you felt like some gangster stuff might go down, but they were both real cool guys that were laid back.

Default Re: Former Knick Anthony Mason has died

Loved watching him compete. Dude was a bull. Rest in Paradise...

Great post.
    Rest in peace, big man
    Used to love his intensity and all around game. This makes me very sad.

Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry. He had a lot to do with the 90s Knicks along with Oakley and Starks. His toughness was second to none, I would go to war with him every time even in the modern day era. He could run point forward and wow man his defense!

My favorite moment from him was the year the Bulls went 72-10. The Knicks were struggling, I think it was the year Riley quit and the Knicks got off to a tough start. So the record setting Bulls visiting the Garden, and Van Gundy puts Mason on Jordan. Man, that was such an awesome game. Jordan is the GOAT so of course he got his 30 points, but wow were they all earned. I remember him forcing MJ into countless turnovers and the Knicks crushed the dominating Bulls 104-72. It was the highlight of the season. The Knicks went on to make the playoffs and of course upset their 1st round team and had to play the Bulls in the 2nd round. Knicks lost in 5, I blame the scheduling as they had the audacity to schedule back to back games (Saturday & Sunday) at the Garden essentially ruining any chance of defending the homecourt (they won game 3 and lost a close game 4). My point is, Mason is the guy that could literally guard every position. Maybe not the speedy PG, but he guarded Jordan and he guarded Olajuwon. For goodness sakes in the 94 Finals, it was Mason on Olajuwon as he was too fast for Ewing. He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.

Regardless, RIP Mason. You were one of the reasons I loved Basketball. Your heart, your grit, your toughness, your defense. I miss the 90s Knicks more and more everyday knowing they have to go forward led by a pretender like Melo. Will miss you <3

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry.

RIP Mason, tho.

right after Kersey ... grew up watching these guys. And even if I hated Mason. This is terrible. Cause of death?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 3 minutes ago
    When was this from JVG?

I am your soldier!

Sad news. Tons of players and coaches dying lately... Thorpe, it was a heart issue. Had a heart attack a few weeks ago, died in surgery I guess.

Even though I don't have much Mason in this, here's my gritty Knicks mix. I loved those teams. True competitors and great defenders. They were like football players.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbAJgAh7zY
    Last edited by ProfessorMurder; 02-28-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Really horrible news.

I once knew a guy that looked like Anthony Mason. When I met him I said, "You look like Anthony Mason."

Aw, man.

Peaceful Journey, Mase.

He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.
    Mase, X, and Oak all took turns bullying Scottie.

They were the only guys post Rodman and the Detroit Bad Boys that could really get to him. And it wasn't just young Pip. They were still getting the best of him even in the '96 ECSF.

They knew if you roughed Scottie up enough physically, he'd get shook. The Bad Boy Pistons, and Riley Knicks knew this. Kind of like the way certain teams, namely the Big 3 Celtics did Gasol. They were inherently passive guys. Betas.

College superstar

Damn too Young.....

fukking hell

one of my favourite players ever.

Oh I remember that vividly, he had me and other Bulls fan shook I truly hated those Knicks but what great series they were, that's when the NBA played like MEN.

RIP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Bad week or so for former NBA'ers with Kersey, Lloyd and now Mason. Sad news. R.I.P. Mase.
    I was about to post this RIP.

Damn, RIP.