Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: ISH Book/Movie Club

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Might participate in a book club assuming the books arent ****ing retarded.
    I'm a big fan of the retarded genre. If there's no retarded books you can count me out

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Raped

Sorry but you dont extend my bar.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Enjoy the red.

Its a message board

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

who the hell still read books anymore? i'll join a movie club

I'd be in for both sides. I have plenty of free/down time at work to slip in some more reading and watching.

Ok, I think we have a good group and we can move on to figuring out the mechanics of how this will work. Anyone else that wants to join can do so at any time.

The question now is how we want to choose what to read/watch. I think we can probably alternate between reading and movies in order to accommodate everyone. My idea for selecting a topic is to randomly selecting 3 people to nominate a subject. Then everyone can vote on the 3 options and the first one to get 5 votes (or something like that) will be what we read/watch. Anyone have better ideas?

We can either have the discussion here or we can just choose a sub-forum to use as a place to create a new thread for each new reading/movie. Maybe the WNBA or Sonics forum so that we can kind of be away from the trolls and also have a little used forum that will be easy to find old threads. That or we can do a new thread in the OTC every time and I can keep the OP updated with links to each thread.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 07-18-2014 at 10:57 AM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

The question now is how we want to choose what to read/watch. I think we can probably alternate between reading and movies in order to accommodate everyone. My idea for selecting a topic is to randomly selecting 3 people to nominate a subject. Then everyone can vote on the 3 options and the first one to get 5 votes (or something like that) will be what we read/watch. Anyone have better ideas?

I recommend a weighted lottery system based on intellectual merit.

There is a drawing of ping pong balls, audited of course by Ernst and Young, and everyone is entered with an opportunity. But with fewer balls going to the lesser intellects. Zen would have the smallest number of ping pong balls and therefore the lowest odds. This way you'll have a lower chance of having to watch the base, unstimulating titles he is likely to select.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I recommend a weighted lottery system based on intellectual merit.

There is a drawing of ping pong balls, audited of course by Ernst and Young, and everyone is entered with an opportunity. But with fewer balls going to the lesser intellects. Zen would have the smallest number of ping pong balls and therefore the lowest odds. This way you'll have a lower chance of having to watch the base, unstimulating titles he is likely to select.
    Under that system we would all need to gather in a physical location to take an IQ test administered by Mensa in or to get the weighting system correct. Otherwise, what's the point?

And **** you Shannon. This is going to work by sheer force of will. I will create alts and have discussions with myself if I have to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    It ain't gonna work man! I'm reading two books currently and also writing one, and I don't even like books!

F*ck books!
    Bullshit!

You watch like 21 1/2 movies a week!

Unless your sleep writing or sumthin

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I can't remember who made the other message board. It was a subset of guys from here. And you had to submit for acceptence onto the board.

Once you were in there, there was a movie section. A book section. A music section. And it was all known to be spoiler heavy. So you'd have a thread for some movie, and everyone would get in there and have open discussion about theories, subtext, symbolism, etc.

It was a nice way to do it. There wasn't a set everyone is gonna read this or see this sort of format. Especially in the book section there's be dead threads started about books that other people never read, but you could use them as reviews, then if you chose to read them, at least you knew you had another person, or couple of people, to have a reasonable conversation with on the topic. And if you created a topic on a book yourself, you could find a month later someone engaging you in a discussion on it, which was kind of a cool way to reflect back on stuff.
    The movie stuff obviously went quicker. Especially when there was discussion about classics that everyone had seen, or newer stuff that had become sort of cultural beacons.

It was a nice way to do it. It died though because it didn't have enough members. It's a tricky line to walk when you're trying to keep a closed community of people who are looking to have that level of analytic conversation. If it's fully opened to the public it becomes uncontrollable.

Hmm, for some reason I want to say ukplayer did that. I could be making that up tho. That is an interesting format although I'm not sure how we would pull it off with doing something similar and I'm not sure I would want to create create a message board.

Is it gonna be one book to read per week? That might be a lot for some ppl depending on schedules. Why don't we do something like a weekly movie to watch and a book once a month. Might be easier than to alternate week to week.

I'm also down to somehow have a gated community within a smaller sub forum. It would suck to put effort into organizing this only to have morons disprupt everything

I was actually thinking smaller readings like long-form journalism, essays, portions of a book, etc. We tried the one book per month thing before and a layoff that long just killed the whole thing. If it is a book, I was thinking something shorter just to make it easier on people. I don't want to do a book per week either so no need to worry about that.

I do like the movie a week and book a month idea tho. That would be a nice way to keep everyone engaged and active while we read something. The problem with doing this before is that we couldn't get people together for a discussion after a month of silence.

The short stories genre has so many options to sift through written from notable juggernauts to amateur as fck college students.

I would be down to participate in that. I just didn't want to participate in a novel portion because I like to read at my own pace and not feel obligated to stay up crazy hours to keep with y'all, who I'm sure are faster readers than I am. I've never been a fast reader. I like to savor and have the scene in my head vivd as possible and not just trying to tear through.

Yeah I've slowed down as a reader because I spend so much time on the dialogue now. I pretty much treat it like a script and go through the different inflections until I find the most satisfying/logical one. I don't have much patience for scene description tho. I'd rather my mind fill in the details instead of the writer's.