Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default This year's Spurs vs. last 6 Champions.

Most people walked away from this season with the impression that the Spurs were head and shoulders the best team in the league. They dominated the playoffs (Except oddly in the first round) and soundly defeated the 2 time defending champs.

so my question is how would they fare in a series vs. the Last 6 Champions since they won the title.

2014 Spurs vs. 2008 Celtics

2014 Spurs vs. 2009 Lakers

2014 Spurs vs. 2010 Lakers

2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat.

Ill give my opinions later so as not to color the discussion right away.

Give us your thoughts!

Default Re: This year's Spurs vs. last 6 Champions.

With how they played the Heat in this year's Finals, they'd beat all of those teams in 6 or 7 games. They shot lights out. And there's nothing you can do about it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    With how they played the Heat in this year's Finals, they'd beat all of those teams in 6 or 7 games. They shot lights out. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    I disagree with this.

The Heat kind of sucked on defense all year...and their defense in the finals was really bad.

The Heat made the Spurs look better than they actually were/are. This Heat team was not good! We have to stop ignoring that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I disagree with this.

The Heat kind of sucked on defense all year...and their defense in the finals was really bad.

The Heat made the Spurs look better than they actually were/are. This Heat team was not good! We have to stop ignoring that.
    I is Agreement on with you. They did play the Mavs, Blazers and Thunder as well so we have an Idea on how they'd fare with other types of teams.

'12 Heat were pretty good defensively. LeBron and Wade were very good defensively and Bosh wasn't as much as ***** as he is right now. Battier was still a good defender as well. Would be a really close and amazing Finals.

NBA lottery pick

2008 Celtics: That would have been interesting match-up. I would give the edge the Celtics in this one. They were Spurs in terms of "team" ball. Sure they had the Big Three but they had intensity on both sides of the floor. I give the edge to the Celtics.

2009 Lakers: I love the Lakers also I am a huge Kobe fan. But I will give the Spurs the edge in this one. That '09 Lakers struggled in the series against the C's, which the Lakers won. But Gasol just disappears too much for me and Kobe can't do it all by himself. The Spurs win this one.

2010 Lakers: The Spurs again. The Spurs are just a "team" in every true meaning of the word. I tell my basketball players, watch the Spurs play because they are a team. They share the ball. They look into the post. They hustle. So the Spurs in this one, again. Man I hate the Spurs :)

2011 Mavs: This 2014 Spurs team would crush the Mavs. The Spurs just had too many options. The Spurs again.

2012 & 13 Heat: I just think that this 2014 Spurs just would have won in 2012 and in 2013, just a great shot by Ray Allen that prevented the Spurs from winning that one in 2013.

As a Laker/Sonics/Timberwolves fan, this 2014 Spurs team was just fun to watch. Like I said before, they were a team. Basketball games are won as a team. Sure we love it Jordan goes off for 50 and the Bulls win. Or when Kobe drops 50 and the Lakers win. Or when Larry Bird goes crazy and hits three point shot after another. But in all honesty, teams win games because other players stepped up. You can't win a game by yourself. It's not 1 v 5. It is 5 on 5. And this 2014 Spurs team had 5 plus a great bench. Holy crap! Patti Mills. Boris Diaw. And Tiago Splitter...just too name a few, stepped up and played well.

So I see the 2014 Spurs only losing that one series and that is against the Celtics. That Celtics team was just on a mission that year.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    2008 Celtics: That would have been interesting match-up. I would give the edge the Celtics in this one. They were Spurs in terms of "team" ball. Sure they had the Big Three but they had intensity on both sides of the floor. I give the edge to the Celtics.

2009 Lakers: I love the Lakers also I am a huge Kobe fan. But I will give the Spurs the edge in this one. That '09 Lakers struggled in the series against the C's, which the Lakers won. But Gasol just disappears too much for me and Kobe can't do it all by himself. The Spurs win this one.

2010 Lakers: The Spurs again. The Spurs are just a "team" in every true meaning of the word. I tell my basketball players, watch the Spurs play because they are a team. They share the ball. They look into the post. They hustle. So the Spurs in this one, again. Man I hate the Spurs :)

2011 Mavs: This 2014 Spurs team would crush the Mavs. The Spurs just had too many options. The Spurs again.

2012 & 13 Heat: I just think that this 2014 Spurs just would have won in 2012 and in 2013, just a great shot by Ray Allen that prevented the Spurs from winning that one in 2013.

As a Laker/Sonics/Timberwolves fan, this 2014 Spurs team was just fun to watch. Like I said before, they were a team. Basketball games are won as a team. Sure we love it Jordan goes off for 50 and the Bulls win. Or when Kobe drops 50 and the Lakers win. Or when Larry Bird goes crazy and hits three point shot after another. But in all honesty, teams win games because other players stepped up. You can't win a game by yourself. It's not 1 v 5. It is 5 on 5. And this 2014 Spurs team had 5 plus a great bench. Holy crap! Patti Mills. Boris Diaw. And Tiago Splitter...just too name a few, stepped up and played well.

So I see the 2014 Spurs only losing that one series and that is against the Celtics. That Celtics team was just on a mission that year.
    The '12 Heat are MUCH better than the '13 Heat.

The reason why Spurs shot lights out was in big part of sucky Heats defense.

Celtics '08 had one of the best defenses of All-time, and they would have Top3 best players on the court. Plus Celtics didnt play hero ball either, superior team and better talent wins this one, too much for Pop to overcome.

Spurs '14 would beat most of others though.

Mavs will definitely beat the spurs, and the spurs will absolutely destory both laker teams so bad that they disband the whole team
    Last edited by Cone; 06-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.

I agree. 2014 Spurs are a bad matchup for all the Heat teams because of the way Heat play defense + no rim protection. IMO, the way to play defense against this year's Spurs is to play man-to-man and force Parker, Duncan and Manu to score enough points (take half of the team out by controlling Green, Mills, Belli, Bonner). Usually only 2 of the big 3 will have a good game and they can't maintain it long enough over a 7 game series.

Celtics - slight edge to them - great defense with KG protecting the rim and good offense (their big 3 closer to their primes) vs Spurs' great offense and good defense (but TD and Manu are old). Although I do think that Spurs' ceiling wasn't reached as Belli NEVER got going in the Finals and he was a huge part of the regular season.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    2014 Spurs vs. 2008 Celtics - tough series. If the Spurs shoot well they win in 6-7.

2014 Spurs vs. 2009 Lakers - Lakers hold a big front court advantage and Kobe was on fire that run. Lakers in 6-7.

2014 Spurs vs. 2010 Lakers - Lakers tired. Spurs in 6.

2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs - Spurs in 6. Same principles as a team, but more talent and depth on the Spurs.

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat - Heat were really peaking in this playoff run IMO. Heat in 6.

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat. - SA significantly better than 2013. SA in 6.

Ill give my opinions later so as not to color the discussion right away.

Give us your thoughts!
    Quoted w/ my responses

Great topic OP! I bet you are awesome and satisfy women sexually.

Here's my opinion.

Boston 08- Toss up. Boston is such a good defensive team If anyone could beat the spurs it would be them.

Lakers 09 - The spurs wipe the floor with these guys. No way kobe and Gasol are defending those passes.

Lakers 10 - Same result

Mavs 11 - I probably go spurs but those mavs were so good and Dirk was so insane that post season I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to knock off the spurs.

Heat 12 - Spurs. It almost happened too if Okc didn't get so insanely hot for 4 games

heat 13 - Spurs once again for obvious reasons.

they beat them all

they beat all those teams cept 08 boston and 12 heat. Celtics were stacked to the top with great players. Heat had healthy wade and lebron.