NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Tablet Emulator Gaming

So last week I had to travel for work to take a certification class. As I'm still on crutches, getting around in a strange city is still not a realistic option. So knowing I was gonna be tied up in a hotel room all week, I went out and bought my first tablet.

I wasn't looking for a deal, and had been looking for a while, so I basically just walked in and got the new Samsung Tab Pro 12.2. It was expensive and I probably could've gotten 90% of what I wanted for 33% the cost. But I like the big screen. I wanted it for Netflix on my trip (Friday Night Lights ... awesome btw).
    I've had plenty of time to explore with it, and wound up trying a bunch of emulators. It's not something I've ever done, and was a little worried, and several I tried and couldn't figure out. But after seemingly getting game files off one, I tried John's NES Emulator Lite. It picked up the Zelda file I already got from who knows where. I've been blown away. It's awesome.

My only gripe is the controls on screen get less responsive as I play. If anyone knows of a good controller, that'd be awesome. And how do I find game files? I'd love to play metroid next.

And anyone know a good way to push text messaging to your tablet?

Thanks!

Default Re: Tablet Emulator Gaming

The game files you are looking for are called "roms" and you can pretty much find them with google at sites like emuparadise.me

Alternatively you can just go to your favorite torrent site and download the entire libraries of systems. All NES games ever made total to about 100mb, Snes about 600mb.

Controllers are a bit of a minefield, you have to make sure you buy one that works with the specific program you are using, because most of them don't work for everything as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The game files you are looking for are called "roms" and you can pretty much find them with google at sites like emuparadise.me

Alternatively you can just go to your favorite torrent site and download the entire libraries of systems. All NES games ever made total to about 100mb, Snes about 600mb.

Controllers are a bit of a minefield, you have to make sure you buy one that works with the specific program you are using, because most of them don't work for everything as far as I know.

Thanks,

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, and was able to stop at GameStop while I was ditching work for a few hours. That was nice, because being so early, the guy there was able to talk to me for a bit. He had never heard of the emulator I'm using, but he did send me to a site called coolroms.com, and it actually had the John NES emulator as the preferred Nintendo emulator. They had plenty of game files. I pulled down a dozen or so. You're right, I was seeing 150 kb max per file.

He talked me into a Moga controller. He made no promises it would work, but he says they make a bunch of controllers for phones and tablets, and are sort of the most mainstream, so he's guessing it's got as good a chance of any of working. He did say that the PS3 controller can be paired up and work, something I confirmed via a youtube video just now, so I guess I can go buy a used one of those and try that if this doesn't fly.

I feel like I'll be able to plow through Zelda pretty easy from where I'm at if the controller works. I grabbed Metroid while waiting for the controller to charge. That'll be next. And it seems pretty easy to plug the tablet into the tv and play straight onto there.

I'm far more excited about this than I probably should be. Especially considering what I spent on the PS4. Hopefully I can tear myself away from a 30 year old game to get into my Watchdogs when I pick it up next week.

Thing is totally working. And the site the guy gave me is excellent. I pulled down a dozen games or so. Metroid, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Double Dragon, Ghosts and Goblins, Contra.

Controller works great. The set up included some advertising for their top tier controller that if I do continue to do this, I may upgrade to.

I'm pretty pleased with the whole tablet experience thus far. Over the weekend I'll try to hook it up to my tv and see how the playing on the big screen goes.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Have you tried an N64 or PS2 emulator, yet? Haven't used one personally on a tablet, but I hear they work pretty well. I also believe you can connect your tablet to an external hard drive via otg cable (useful for your phone, too, and they're cheap). Throw all your movies, tv shows, music, and whatever on there for long sittings and just to keep your tablet running fast.

And I love FNL. Saracen and Coach Taylor are two of my favorite characters of any show.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Have you tried an N64 or PS2 emulator, yet? Haven't used one personally on a tablet, but I hear they work pretty well. I also believe you can connect your tablet to an external hard drive via otg cable (useful for your phone, too, and they're cheap). Throw all your movies, tv shows, music, and whatever on there for long sittings and just to keep your tablet running fast.

And I love FNL. Saracen and Coach Taylor are two of my favorite characters of any show.

I have not tried any N64 stuff. It's telling that I've actually gotten much more into this than Watchdogs. I finished Zelda, started Watchdogs. And now I've dropped WDs to get into Metroid. I started Metroid, and wasn't crazy about it, because I didn't remember it well, and really suffered. But after getting a couple upgrades, it's playing really well now. I also ran a bit in all my other stuff: Castlevania, Contra, Punch Out, Ghosts and Goblins. They were all entertaining for an hour or so, but beyond that I wasn't wildly interested.

After Metroid I think I'm going to check the site I'm using, CoolRoms.com, for there suggestions on SNES, N64, Genesis emulators. I often list Zelda as my favorite game ever, and Metroid is up there too, but after the NES era, I moved to Genesis, and I've never actually played any of the sequels in either series, less a little time with the second Zelda which my cousin owned as kids. When I do, I'll post in here about how they play.

This particular Tablet, it's the new Samsung Galaxy Tab, can connect to an external drive. But in addition to that, it also comes with a removable micro SD card slot. I have a 64gig in there now, so I can stow things away in there and keep it clean. And I just read SanDisk just released a 128 Gig micro SD. I'd like to figure out a way to move my itunes library to my Android phone and to this using that big microSD, and then get away from apple entirely. Start using amazon for MP3 purchasing and the like. But I haven't quite found a way that I'm comfortable moving forward on just yet.

And I have four episodes left in FNLs, and Coach Taylor makes me want to be a better person, and help mold the lives of young people.

I just don't want to finish it, because I don't want to not be able to look forward to it anymore.

I miss Tyra's bare middriff.

God damn. You better find yourself a SNES emulator right now and play A Link to the Past and Super Metroid.

And I do mean RIGHT NOW.

God damn. You better find yourself a SNES emulator right now and play A Link to the Past and Super Metroid.

And I do mean RIGHT NOW.

That's gonna be next.

And I do mean RIGHT NOW.
    Best Zelda game ever.

I have a memory as a kid of not liking the second zelda. All I remember was the pop up random side scrolling combat sequences and just not being into them.

I can't even think of anything I'd want to try from Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I have a memory as a kid of not liking the second zelda. All I remember was the pop up random side scrolling combat sequences and just not being into them.

The second zelda was on the nes, nothing like link to the past.

Also try shining force 2 on genesis, amazing game

Local High School Star Dr Seuss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    toe jam and earl