Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Default Andrew Wiggins is not a great in-game athlete (video proves this)

First off, he's a decent athlete who has great length to compensate for his lack of wiggle. Now I'm not calling him a terrible athlete, but he's certainly not elite. Here's why...

HE'S A PREDOMINANT TWO-FOOT LEAPER.

And when I say predominantly, I'm talking about a scary-weird overdependency on jumping off two feet to point he appears uncomfortable jumping off one foot. The fact no blog or media person has brought this up during this draft process is very baffling, but predictable.

Here, watch this Wiggins highlight mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-92Zxce6g

As you can see, the guy jumps off two feet 95% of the time in the video. The few times he leapt off one foot, he looked amazingly uncomfortable and nonexplosive.

How long before we have an honest discussion about how this guy isn't the elite athlete on the court that he's hyped up to be?

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal, it is. Cavs fans know this because Tristan Thompson has this exact same issue. Him and Wiggins are two-foot 'gather' leapers. Helps them when they have space (weak side rebounding, put backs) but when crowed they play much smaller than what they are. That's why Tristan is a poor Iso option despite great 'measurables because he lacks the agility off one foot to improvise on the move. Wiggins has the same issue. A crazy amount of his drives to the basket end up with him leaping off two feet, ie his patented spin move and even his strong side drives to the right.

Conversely, Russell Westbrook is a dynamic leaper. He can explode equally well off one or two feet, but he's particularly eletric off one foot. Here's his mix at UCLA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhsIbXBI2Tk

See the difference? On the court one guy looks like he's jumping off the screen and the other is mildly pedestrian. Hmmm, I wonder why...
    Last edited by PleezeBelieve; 06-26-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins is not a great in-game athlete (video proves this)

I've seen Wiggins jam it off one foot in a highlight video before high school doe

So he's a great out of game athlete? What the fck changes from the point he steps on the court to when he's off it?

You're either a great athlete or you're not. He's a pretty raw prospect if you ask me, but the dude is a great athlete no doubt about it.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Okay, Nostradamus of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    So he's a great out of game athlete? What the fck changes from the point he steps on the court to when he's off it?

You're either a great athlete or you're not. He's a pretty raw prospect if you ask me, but the dude is a great athlete no doubt about it.
    What are you talking about? You ever heard of combine warriors? People who can't replicate their measurable to the court/field?

That's Wiggins. I just posted a fukkin video, idiot. Did you even watch it?

PB please say that Embiid will never come back from his foot injury

And yet, I was not wrong about any of that sh*t you posted

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

God dammit PB. Was I not totally honest with you? Take this post and put it here...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=344093&page=4

No reason for this to be its own thread when we had a perfectly fine conversation going over there.

LMAO @ the circle-jerk going on when I was absouly correct years in advance.

Wall - overrated (Cousins should have went #1)

Kyrie - overrated (Cavs trade him and they would get better)

Barnes - overrated (averaged 9 points on 40% last year)

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    What are you talking about? You ever heard of combine warriors? People who can't replicate their measurable to the court/field?

That's Wiggins. I just posted a fukkin video, idiot. Did you even watch it?
    I've watched the guy multiple times in person, I don't need to watch some whack ass video. He has all the tools necessary to become a star in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended

If he produces on the court, does it matter ?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

He actually makes a fair point that I've seen elsewhere, however...

Wiggins is an extraordinary athlete any way you slice it and his gathering before he jumps could be due more to his loose handle than any particular problem he has jumping off of one foot.

Regardless, good luck convincing anyone that this guy is just a decent athlete:

I think he could probably jump completely over Tristan Thompson. That comparison is not a good one. Hell, Wiggins' second jump will probably be among the best in the entire NBA straight away. Wiggins has some issues he needs to correct to become the kind of player he has the potential to be, but athleticism isn't one of those issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeO3JNfOpno
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-26-2014 at 02:08 AM.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (e)

Agreed. I visit Lawrence a lot and I've never seen anybody run faster from a bar when the cops came than andrew wiggins.

This guy is nba ready