Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Lebron and Double teaming

I keep hearing from people here that Lebron wasn't double teamed like Kobe, Or MJ, or Shaq or Hakeem or whomever.

A thought came to my head.

Is it possible, just maybe, that teams don't double team him because he's such a transcendent passer? I mean, I wouldn't double team Chris Paul. Or Magic. Or Stockton, or Nash. Because I KNOW that they are finding that open guy. And that it's a free run to the hoop.

Default Re: Lebron and Double teaming

Yes BigKAT, and it's fairly obvious.

(3Ball garbage nonsense copypasta incoming)

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Yes BigKAT, and it's fairly obvious.

(3Ball garbage nonsense copypasta incoming)
    I know right?
    I feel like I'm poking a mouse with cheese here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    I know right?
    I feel like I'm poking a mouse with cheese here.
    haha good analogy. More like a rat though.

Keep posting buddy! You're posts are relevant and though provoking.

(If you're Jeff....good idea.)

Local High School Star

none of the guys you listed are elite scorers so of course you would't double team them. you want to force those guys to score to beat you. however with the likes of kobe, curry, jordan, durant, etc if you don't double they will just kill you. Also as far as finding the open guy- Curry does an excellent job of that. guys like draymond, iggy, and harrison barnes shot nothing but wide open shots because of all the attention Curry drew.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

I wouldn't double team [COLOR="Red"]Chris Paul. Or Magic. Or Stockton, or Nash.[/COLOR]

... Lebron isn't on Magic's level of passing, or CP3 or Nash.

Lebron's 6.8 APG in playoffs is more in line with Bird (6.5) or Jordan (5.7), rather than the 10-12 APG that Nash, CP3, and Magic averaged.

So quit dreaming and stay in reality

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Lebron's 6.8 APG in playoffs is more in line with Bird (6.5) or Jordan (5.7), rather than the 10-12 APG that Nash, CP3, and Magic averaged.

Lebron is on par with magic/stockon, they've said it themselves and anaylst compare them.

The 6.8 apg can easily be attributed to also having to be the team's best scorer rebounder/defender/rim protector. Something magic and other's did not have to do to achieve their 11+ apg.

I keep hearing from people here that Lebron wasn't double teamed like Kobe, Or MJ, or Shaq or Hakeem or whomever.

Is it possible, just maybe, that teams don't double team him because he's such a transcendent passer? I mean, I wouldn't double team Chris Paul. Or Magic. Or Stockton, or Nash. Because I KNOW that they are finding that open guy. And that it's a free run to the hoop.
    Another guy who was also at least as good a passer and the most similar to Lebron was Bird. Did teams double team him?

Lebron gets double teamed on the drive every game........

Almost Every player in the nba gets doubled this isnt 1 on 1 basketball

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

You say he has Bird level passing like that's a bad thing. Bird's one of the best passers the game's ever seen, especially from the forward position.

Great college starter

lebron always get double teamed even what looks like 1 on 1 defense against him still has off side help waiting for him to make his move. The thing is when you double team lebron extra hard, he will pick you apart...he's too good of a passer.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Nothing against the OP since im well aware it does get discussed but....

That teams would hesitate to double one of the most pass first scorers of his caliber ever.....is even discussed? It kinda makes us look bad. Of course Lebron will carve you up if you double. He might pass it 30 times in a row with zero hesitation....

Of course that plays a major major role in how teams defend him. And its so obvious it shouldnt need to be said. You play lebron straight until he forces otherwise because his teams surround him with shooters he wont hesitate to find. Nobody could have failed to notice. We just have a few people who are willing to deny the obvious for the sake of hating.

You try to stay home when possible vs Lebron for the same reason you foul Deandre Jordan before he can dunk it.

Common sense and playing the odds.

Heavily contested pullup jumper or meet him in the lane with a bigman....vs....a wide open 3 Kyrie/Love/Bosh/Miller/Mo/Jr/whoever it is over the years can make 50% of the time?

**** it. Let him pullup. He will make same...but hopefully get nobody else going. Its a solid plan when his shot isnt falling and we have been watching teams do it for 10+ years now.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

It's not JUST because he's an elite passer, although there is that. It's also because his jumper has gotten progressively more busted as the years go on, so why double him unless he's near the basket?

You can't even begin to accuse me of being a LeBron hater. I get accused of the opposite all the time. I just call it like I see it, which unfortunately for people that don't like LeBron, usually works to the detriment of their agenda.
    Last edited by Orlando Magic; 09-30-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

This is not an original thought.

Decent playground baller KnittingRyu's Avatar

Maybe LeBron isn't double teamed because his teams are stacked and it doesn't make sense to leave guys open. LeBron used to be double teamed until he started colluding.