Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Cousins vs Favors revisited

I did a thread on this last year, and the consensus pick was Cousins over Favors, probably 5 to 1. I KNOW IT'S EARLY BUT...anyone want to change their mind yet?

At this point:

Favors 10 and 10 in 20 min per game
    Cousins 14 and 6 in 26 min per game

If you could take one or the other, who would u take now that we have seen them in action?

Default Re: Cousins vs Favors revisited

Favors because he plays defense

Local High School Star

i would take cousins, i think he has more upside

Decent playground baller

although i believe Favors is the better one, i think they both will turn into great players.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broy
    although i believe Favors is the better one, i think they both will turn into great players.
    I agree that both with mature into solid nba ballers. I still take cousins 10 out of 10. so polished offensively already and really has the size and, from what Ive seen, bball IQ to be something special in the league.

I'd take Cousins assuming the rumblings out of Sac that he's an ass are unfounded. Favors doesn't try hard all the time which strikes me as strange so early in his career. His motor has a slow speed mixed in with the others.

Not airballing my layups anymore The Poet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'd take Cousins assuming the rumblings out of Sac that he's an ass are unfounded. Favors doesn't try hard all the time which strikes me as strange so early in his career. His motor has a slow speed mixed in with the others.
    I sincerely doubt you can average 10 rebounds, 5 offensive in 20 mpg without "trying hard all the time." If anyone's had the lazy tag on him throughout their high school and collegiate career, it has been Cousins. He strikes me as a guy who needs to constantly find motivation to play hard, like he does against the Nets for passing on him or when he started giving out his phone number to Mississippi State fans when he played against them.

I like Cousins more as well, but there have been several reports that have been consistent since this debate began:
    1. Cousins is more developed at this point
    2. Favors is more athletic
    3. Favors has been praised to be a work-a-holic/gym rat, Cousins has been noted to be lazy and a hard head

Quote Originally Posted by The Poet
    I sincerely doubt you can average 10 rebounds, 5 offensive in 20 mpg without "trying hard all the time." If anyone's had the lazy tag on him throughout their high school and collegiate career, it has been Cousins. He strikes me as a guy who needs to constantly find motivation to play hard, like he does against the Nets for passing on him or when he started giving out his phone number to Mississippi State fans when he played against them.

I like Cousins more as well, but there have been several reports that have been consistent since this debate began:
    1. Cousins is more developed at this point
    2. Favors is more athletic
    3. Favors has been praised to be a work-a-holic/gym rat, Cousins has been noted to be lazy and a hard head
    THAT^^^

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    I agree that both with mature into solid nba ballers. I still take cousins 10 out of 10. so polished offensively already and really has the size and, from what Ive seen, bball IQ to be something special in the league.
    Completely agree. Although I think New Jersey made the right decision considering that they have Brook Lopez in the middle already.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Completely agree. Although I think New Jersey made the right decision considering that they have Brook Lopez in the middle already.
    It's Philly that made the big mistake. Evan Turner should have been at #4 to Minnesota.

1. WAS - Wall
    2. PHI - Cousins
    3. NJN - Favors
    4. MIN - Turner (bust-ass player for a bust-ass franchise)
    5. SAC - Johnson or someone else.

They still have more time to progress. When favors gets use to the NBA he will play pretty good.
    Ill say Favors.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    This makes no sense. One of cousins main detractors was that he has attitude problems which often translate to work ethic issues and lead to 'not trying hard.'

Good High School Starter

I think fans of both teams (and players) have reason to be optimistic about these guys. I still think that the original outlook remains: Cousins is higher risk with, potentially, higher upside.

I think it's insane to be "revisiting" an issue when we're only 5% of the way through their rookie season though.

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    This makes no sense. One of cousins main detractors was that he has attitude problems which often translate to work ethic issues and lead to 'not trying hard.'
    What he meant to say was, Favors lacks "street hunger"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Favors has shown to be the more athletic big man with much better defensive awareness and instincts (against bosh, he would get right on him in the post and either way bosh went he would slide in front with his chest out, absorb the contact, and keep his hands straight up with his body pressed to bosh; very impressed with his lateral footwork and IQ as to not commit stupid fouls). He also, despite being smaller, is a more capable rebounder and has a nose for where the ball is going.

Favors is a physical beast and whats going to be awesome is watching him in about 20 games when he is getting into top cardio shape. He will be wreaking havoc on the boards alongside one of the best centers in the game right now.