Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
aj1987
MH!

Default I would be one of the best 10 ever. - Oscar Schmidt

Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. He has a personality that splashes everywhere and a big laugh to match. Not quite a Magic Johnson shakes-the-walls laugh, but not far off either.
Except that Oscar Schmidt is being serious now.
He said he would have been one of the 10 best players in the NBA if the basketball world had been different in the 1970s and 80s, and he came to the United States. And not one of the 10 best in the league. One of the 10 best ever,
Yes, Schmidt said. Anytime. It was easier, because in the NBA at that time it was one-on-one, always. One-on-one, Im free. If it comes to two players guarding me, maybe.
Insert big laugh.
I would be one of the best 10 ever.
Schmidt officially enters the Hall of Fame on Sunday afternoon via the International committee as a Brazilian great who played in five Olympics, led the shocking upset of the United States in the title game of the 1987 Pan-American Games in Indianapolis, could score on anybody, and also starred in Italy. But the closest Schmidt got to the NBA was when the Nets drafted him in the sixth round in 1984.
Signing with the NBA at that time would have meant being ineligible for the national team, and Schmidt was not willing to make that tradeoff. The Nets pursued him three years in a row, he said, but no way. After the rules were changed to allow the Dream Team to play in the 1992 Olympics, sure, except that Schmidt was 34 by the time of the historic Barcelona Games. It would be different under the current rules.
Give me two months of practice, I kill everybody else, he said Saturday at the Hall of Fame, the day before the induction ceremony.
Another big laugh.
There was not a price [the Nets could have offered]. There was national team. Thats it. The national team doesnt have a price. Its proud. Its what you live for. And today, people dont like to play for the national team. Thats very sad for me.
Schmidt was a 6-foot-9 scoring machine at small forward in the Larry Bird mold, able to shred defenses without beating many opponents in a race or a jumping contest. He could shoot and he was smart. Perfect, then, that Larry Bird agreed to be his presenter Sunday afternoon at Symphony Hall.
Schmidt was asked what he would have averaged in the NBA and said, One point a minute. Twenty minutes, 20 points. Forty minutes, maybe 60.
Cmon. Get serious.
Did you see me play? Schmidt fired back.
But a point a minute?
One point a minute at least, he said. Do you know how many hours I practiced a day.
Eight, he answered.
Schmidt will not soften his answer. With a different set of eligibility rules, he would have been one of the all-time NBA greats, and thats that. To him, there is no debate. There certainly is no big laugh about that.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...uld-have-been/
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
ballup
13.37 PER

Default Re: I would be one of the best 10 ever. - Oscar Schmidt

He played basketball in a professional level for 29 years and scored 49,737 points during that time.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Derivative
ISH MVP Sponsor

this is true
Derivative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

I seriously doubt it.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
SyRyanYang
Great college starter

Too bad we'll never find out. Same could be said about Sabonis.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Hes battling cancer, hope he gets healthy
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year

He wouldn't average 1 point per minute, only Wilt has done it, but .7 ppm is realistic. He was just a machine, raining 3's like nothing in an era when most NBA players wouldn't even consider taking them.
But he wouldn't be a top-10 GOAT: Too limited in other fields, like defense and his passing was nowhere near the passing of the GOAT SF's like Bird or LeBron.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
dr.hee
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
He wouldn't average 1 point per minute, only Wilt has done it, but .7 ppm is realistic. He was just a machine, raining 3's like nothing in an era when most NBA players wouldn't even consider taking them.
But he wouldn't be a top-10 GOAT: Too limited in other fields, like defense and his passing was nowhere near the passing of the GOAT SF's like Bird or LeBron.

60 points per game is nonsense of course. Still, from the limited stuff I've seen from him, I'd say his skills translate into any era. Chris Mullin was dropping 25 ppg. Peja had that one 24 ppg season. So I don't see any reason why Schmidt wouldn't be just fine in the NBA.
dr.hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Sakkreth
Raps

Maybe not top 10, but atleast one of top scorers of his time, don't see why he couldn't put up 28-30ppg.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.hee
60 points per game is nonsense of course. Still, from the limited stuff I've seen from him, I'd say his skills translate into any era. Chris Mullin was dropping 25 ppg. Peja had that one 24 ppg season. So I don't see any reason why Schmidt wouldn't be just fine in the NBA.

Where are you getting 60 points from?

He said 1 point per minute, which means he plays 30 minutes he expects to score 30 points. He made a point of saying he'd get 25 in 25 during his HOF speech yesterday and backed it up at a tournament in the 80s.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

lol
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
All Net

Quote:

Well even stackhouse averaged 30 a game.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
It's A VC3!!!
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Where are you getting 60 points from?

He said 1 point per minute, which means he plays 30 minutes he expects to score 30 points. He made a point of saying he'd get 25 in 25 during his HOF speech yesterday and backed it up at a tournament in the 80s.
he said "40 minutes, maybe 60 points".

this guy was just trying to create a stir. nothing to see here.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
bagelred
Stare

Michael Jordan > Oscar Schmidt > Lebron James
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
aj1987
MH!

Quote:
He would do fine in the NBA, but he wouldn't even come close to being the top 10 GOAT.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: