Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Default List of High School or 1 and done players who flopped in the NBA

So its a belaboured argument that high schoolers and 1 and done guys are depreciating the quality of the league.

But I can can hardly think of any high school guys or 1 and done guys who were abject failures In the league. In fact MOST of the leagues seminal players of recent memory all entered the league early.

Which would make sense because you have to have transcendent talent to come out early.

Kevin Durant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Garnett
    Amare Stoudamire
    Kobe Bryant
    Derrick Rose
    Tmac
    John Wall
    Kyrie Irving
    Dwight Howard

Nothing but 1st team all-nba, all-stars, MVPs, top ten all time greats (BRAWN and Kobe), guys who have literally SHAPED this modern league, the absolute best of the best.

even the guys like Quinton Richardson, Rashard Lewis etc have be relatively successful on the NBA level.

Even the bummiest of the bums Kwame Brown lasted 10+ years.

I keep hearing this argument but is it based on anything TANGIBLE? It seems like a purely philosophical argument.

Let's compile a list of the high schoolers/1 n done guys who flopped in the league.

Default Re: List of High School or 1 and done players who flopped in the NBA

Jonathan Bender
    Sebastian Telfair

Johnny Flynn
    Beasley
    Terrance Williams
    Robert swift
    Last edited by #number6ix#; 03-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Kwame Brown- HS, 1st overall
    Michael Beasley - Kansas, 2nd overall
    DeSagana Diop - HS, 5th overall

Then dumbasses like JR and Josh Smith came from HS. How do you rate Kendrick Perkins?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    So its a belaboured argument that high schoolers and 1 and done guys are depreciating the quality of the league.

But I can can hardly think of any high school guys or 1 and done guys who were abject failures In the league. In fact MOST of the leagues seminal players of recent memory all entered the league early.

Which would make sense because you have to have transcendent talent to come out early.

Kevin Durant
    Lebron James
    Kevin Garnett
    Amare Stoudamire
    Kobe Bryant
    Derrick Rose
    Tmac
    John Wall
    Kyrie Irving
    Dwight Howard

Nothing but 1st team all-nba, all-stars, MVPs, top ten all time greats (BRAWN and Kobe), guys who have literally SHAPED this modern league, the absolute best of the best.

even the guys like Quinton Richardson, Rashard Lewis etc have be relatively successful on the NBA level.

Even the bummiest of the bums Kwame Brown lasted 10+ years.

I keep hearing this argument but is it based on anything TANGIBLE? It seems like a purely philosophical argument.

Let's compile a list of the high schoolers/1 n done guys who flopped in the league.
    The reason you cant think of any of them is because they are all afterthoughts. Why would you remember them?

Kwame may not have been a flop, but he was certainly a disappointment.

I bet if you laid out every draft list, you would find a ton.
    Daniel Orton comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Kwame Brown- HS, 1st overall
    Michael Beasley - Kansas, 2nd overall
    DeSagana Diop - HS, 5th overall

Then dumbasses like JR and Josh Smith came from HS. How do you rate Kendrick Perkins?
    how are josh smith and JR smith failures? The way you write suits an idiot like you.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Jeremy Tyler, Austin Rivers, Brandon Jennings, Korleone Young, Eddy Curry, it took Tyson Chandler years to become decent but those years are over.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    The reason you cant think of any of them is because they are all afterthoughts. Why would you remember them?

Kwame may not have been a flop, but he was certainly a disappointment.

I bet if you laid out every draft list, you would find a ton.
    Daniel Orton comes to mind
    Exactly. I'm glad you mention Orton. Jesus, watching him on the Sixers this year was just comical.

Flynn and Quentin Richardson weren't one-and-done players.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The only one I could remember was Taj McDavid. Telfair may or may not belong in this category as well. A little search also yielded the names Korleone Young and Ousmane Cisse. And I'm sure there are more. Not more than the success stories (especially the ones that left after HS) though.

There are some NBA execs and some NBA players that will say they are for a raised age limit for the individual player's sake. They aren't all lying but there are no doubt ulterior motives for taking that position.

On the owner/executive side the league doesn't need rookie Kobe, KG, T-Mac, etc. Of the HSers it's a definite minority that come in and are good at the NBA level. Only James arrived good enough to be ROY. So without an age limit GMs are forced to draft guys that would hit a higher percentage of free throws by dunking them than shooting. The NBA is better off if everyone has to go to college for 3 or 4 years. It's their free developmental league and also weeds out guys that looked great in college and might have been drafted high if they didn't have to play against a higher level of competition. It will also make players bigger stars coming into the league as we're all more impressed by a guy that had a star run in the tournament than someone who we've never seen/heard of before, maybe scored 20 points in one of those HS games ESPN shouldn't be broadcasting.

For the players in the league it's simple: they don't want to lose their job to a guy that doesn't even have to beat them out. For example, let's say the Nets had drafted Julius Randle out of HS this year (please ignore feasibility for the sake of argument). That means Jason Collins doesn't get brought in this season, even though Kidd could well decide that Randle has no idea how to play and is just going to spend his rookie year getting cussed out by KG all day long in practice, 0 pt. It doesn't matter that Kidd could use Collins' small contribution more because the potential of Randle makes him far more valuable than the 1 points, 2 boards and "being in the right place" you get from a vet like Collins that a HS player won't give you.

Please don't let this turn into an argument over whether or not Randle could do more than Collins, it's just an example. Coaches bench more talented rookies for vets with no statistical production all the time, that's why I used that example, this is not, I repeat, not, a statement on my part of what I think Randle could do in the NBA right now. In reality I have no idea beyond thinking he could rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The only one I could remember was Taj McDavid. Telfair may or may not belong in this category as well. A little search also yielded the names Korleone Young and Ousmane Cisse. And I'm sure there are more. Not more than the success stories (especially the ones that left after HS) though.

There are some NBA execs and some NBA players that will say they are for a raised age limit for the individual player's sake. They aren't all lying but there are no doubt ulterior motives for taking that position.

On the owner/executive side the league doesn't need rookie Kobe, KG, T-Mac, etc. Of the HSers it's a definite minority that come in and are good at the NBA level. Only James arrived good enough to be ROY. So without an age limit GMs are forced to draft guys that would hit a higher percentage of free throws by dunking them than shooting. The NBA is better off if everyone has to go to college for 3 or 4 years. It's their free developmental league and also weeds out guys that looked great in college and might have been drafted high if they didn't have to play against a higher level of competition. It will also make players bigger stars coming into the league as we're all more impressed by a guy that had a star run in the tournament than someone who we've never seen/heard of before, maybe scored 20 points in one of those HS games ESPN shouldn't be broadcasting.

For the players in the league it's simple: they don't want to lose their job to a guy that doesn't even have to beat them out. For example, let's say the Nets had drafted Julius Randle out of HS this year (please ignore feasibility for the sake of argument). That means Jason Collins doesn't get brought in this season, even though Kidd could well decide that Randle has no idea how to play and is just going to spend his rookie year getting cussed out by KG all day long in practice, 0 pt. It doesn't matter that Kidd could use Collins' small contribution more because the potential of Randle makes him far more valuable than the 1 points, 2 boards and "being in the right place" you get from a vet like Collins that a HS player won't give you.

Please don't let this turn into an argument over whether or not Randle could do more than Collins, it's just an example. Coaches bench more talented rookies for vets with no statistical production all the time, that's why I used that example, this is not, I repeat, not, a statement on my part of what I think Randle could do in the NBA right now. In reality I have no idea beyond thinking he could rebound.
    I have no prob with the owners position on this. As a business owner would you want to hire a dude who isn't going to produce much for you for a few years and maybe never or would you want to hire a guy who can produce a little now and more in the future. There are no guarantees in business but you try and minimize the risks. In the nba money is guaranteed so even if a player doesn't produce then they get paid. This is the one part of the system that overwhelmingly favors the player. I'm not saying the age limit is the best option but something has to be done to make the product better. The rookie classes are just getting worse and worse in terms of how much these guys contribute. When you add in expansion it just makes the talent level and overall game less satisfying to fans who have been watching for a long time. The d league needs to be used better and get AAU out of the equation and we need to learn to develop players better like what happens in Europe. It gets old to see another 6'6" guy who can't shoot and has no idea to move without the ball but can jump and is fast. Imagine if AAU aftually taught then how to shoot and cut and move without the ball. It would be a lot better than having to wait six years or however long it took for Gerald Green to become decent.

Dwight Howard has kinda been a bust, never won anything

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I have no prob with the owners position on this.
    I don't have a "problem" with it either, it's just business, but I don't believe for a second that they are all taking this position for the sake of the players and that's something they want us to believe.

Its Quentin Richardson motherf[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]ker.

I rule the local playground

List of High School or 1 and done players who flopped in the NBA

Not sure if any high school player flopped as much as this guy