Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    robertshaw_1
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: 10 Greatest Defensive Teams of All-Time

Gp, i think your list is perfect....but....could you put them in order?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Good, good, but wasn't the Spurs the best team in the league with defensive in 2004?

I mean, they kept teams down to around 84.3 ppg (tie with the Pistons) and they hold them down to around 40.9% as oppose to the Piston's 41.3%? I guess they are a tie. But great list!

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Good, good, but wasn't the Spurs the best team in the league with defensive in 2004?

I mean, they kept teams down to around 84.3 ppg (tie with the Pistons) and they hold them down to around 40.9% as oppose to the Piston's 41.3%? I guess they are a tie. But great list!
    I could've gave it to either. I just gave it to the 2005 Spurs because they won the championship and were clearly the best defensive team that season. In 2004, the Pistons after they got Rasheed, were the best.

But all the Spurs defensive dynasty years are listed, and ultimately, that's what matters.

Local High School Star sirkeelma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    where are the 2009 Golden State Warriors at?
    at 115th spot

Quote Originally Posted by robertshaw_1
    Perfect List.
    I know.

Quote Originally Posted by robertshaw_1
    Gp, i think your list is perfect....but....could you put them in order?
    I think that would be too tough

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GP_20
    I think that would be too tough
    I've seen most of your top 10 threads and I think all of them are not in order, could you at least put your top 10 NBA teams of all-time in order?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I've seen most of your top 10 threads and I think all of them are not in order, could you at least put your top 10 NBA teams of all-time in order?

A lot, if not half, are in order....

I've ranked all Top 10 positions in order

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

I like it.

Decent playground baller

rockets should be an honorable mention

since yao was on the team, they've been top 10 in defense. thats ****in good, thx yao, you injury prone bastard :waves fist angrily:

Very Strong List

Honrable mention indeed for the Bulls of the 1970's as well as the Pacers in that '03-'05 era and the late 90's era Heat.

Might also make a case for the early 80's 76ers with Bobby Jones, Doc, Moses and Mo Cheeks on D.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Very Strong List

Honrable mention indeed for the Bulls of the 1970's as well as the Pacers in that '03-'05 era and the late 90's era Heat.

Might also make a case for the early 80's 76ers with Bobby Jones, Doc, Moses and Mo Cheeks on D.
    Yes all these teams were considered. 70s Bulls, Early 70s Bucks, 80s Bucks, 80s Celtics, 00s Pacers, late 90 Heat, 90s Sonics, and yes also early 80s 76ers. All considered.

The 80s 76ers, though very talented defensively, never finished Top 3 in Defensive Rating or Points Allowed. Though they were still very good, they were not at an All-Time level like these teams defensively.

Yes all these teams were considered. 70s Bulls, Early 70s Bucks, 80s Bucks, 80s Celtics, 00s Pacers, late 90 Heat, 90s Sonics, and yes also early 80s 76ers. All considered.

The 80s 76ers, though very talented defensively, never finished Top 3 in Defensive Rating or Points Allowed. Though they were still very good, they were not at an All-Time level like these teams defensively.
    How did I forget the 80's Bucks. They like those 90's Sonics never had the big man nessacary to elevate their great defensive perimeters.

The Defesnive Rating and PA is the only weakness I find in this list. Meaning it's too predictable, I was not surprised by one team on the list, which means two things. 1) Well researched list 2) Little consideration for teams peaking defnesivley in the postseason or personal experience.

I wonder which of those teams you had the priledge of watching you'd rank highest or at least say you were most impressed with.

The Cavs under Fratello played pretty good D if I remember correctly too. Just throwing another name out there.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    How did I forget the 80's Bucks. They like those 90's Sonics never had the big man nessacary to elevate their great defensive perimeters.

The Defesnive Rating and PA is the only weakness I find in this list. Meaning it's too predictable, I was not surprised by one team on the list, which means two things. 1) Well researched list 2) Little consideration for teams peaking defnesivley in the postseason or personal experience.

I wonder which of those teams you had the priledge of watching you'd rank highest or at least say you were most impressed with.

The Cavs under Fratello played pretty good D if I remember correctly too. Just throwing another name out there.
    Well I didn't go purely on just how good their defensive rating was or how many points allowed. Those things were just used as strong support.

As you can see, most these teams were successful in the postseason as well. You have the Spurs dynasty, the 04 Piston's dominant defensive championship run, the Russell's Celtics dynasty, the Bad Boys, the 08 Celtics of course, Bill Walton's Blazers...I mean I could go on.

But point is 8/10 of these teams won a championship at some point in their dominant defensive runs. So most had strong postseason runs as well.

I don't remember much of the 89 Jazz, and I remember some parts of the 90 Pistons (this is when I first started watching the NBA), I remember everything after that, and before that I've only seen a few games of these teams playing.

But at the end of the day, I'm looking for the 10 best defensive teams. I don't care what criteria is used, PA, Def. Rating, Personal Observation, Postseason defense, etc. I just want the 10 best. And I think those are the 10 best.

But at the end of the day, I'm looking for the 10 best defensive teams. I don't care what criteria is used, PA, Def. Rating, Personal Observation, Postseason defense, etc. I just want the 10 best. And I think those are the 10 best.
    It's a solid top 10

Not a team that doesn't have as good or better case than any of those left out.

The Hammertime Pistpns top my list which is probably not surprising, but they get bonus points in my opinion because no other defense took down three very different and all-time elite offensive weapons as they did in the Showtime Lakers, the Larry Bird Celtics and of course Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

What do you think of that assesment?