Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is LeBron already on the decline?

Nope, his body isn't declining and neither is his game. He's still a top player and in 2011 was a better player than he was in 2009/10. He just needs to work on his offense and keep his body in shape...ie drop something like 20-25 to regain the mobility that he had in years past.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Yes, anyone who doesn't think LeBron declined last season is just kidding themselves.

Honestly the only improvement I see from LeBron last season compared to his Cleveland days was his mid-range jumper, that's it. He regressed in every other area, especially in quickness and athleticism. He didn't finish as well as he did in 09-10, didn't handle the ball as well, he didn't get to the basket as much, and he certainly played much worse defense. It's really a joke that he made the all-defensive team.

Awesome he improved his mid-range jumper....too bad he regressed in every other aspect of the game. .

Anybody that thinks LeBron in 10-11 was even close to the player he was in 09-10 is just kidding themselves. I always laugh when people still think LeBron is the best player in the league. Especially when they bring up his play in Cleveland. Like it's the same...

Banned

He still hasn't reached his peak, mentally. His b-ball IQ was never that good.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    Honestly, I think he is still in his prime physically. He just needs to lose like 20 pounds. Once he does that, he'll still be more than capable of being like his 2006-2008 self. The clock is ticking though, if he doesn't do it soon he'll be stuck in his current frame. We'll have a better answer to this by the end of the Big Three's second full season together.
    Yeah, agreed. We have to see how the players respond in their 2nd go round.

Banned

I think perceptions of his "decline" stem from the change in his game in order to fit the role in Miami. There are still flashes of Cleveland LeBron on this Heat team though, more often than not, you see this new incarnation of the guy who settles for ill-advised jumpers. Chalk it up to getting comfortable on a new team or something. Despite minutes played, the guy is not declining. He's still an athletic freak but, for whatever reason, he doesn't think he needs to emphasize that part of his game anymore. If that's the case, dude needs to work on his perimeter game/work on his prowess as a point forward.

He can go a few routes when he does eventually decline. He can opt to bulk up even more and develop a strong low post game or rely solely on perimeter shooting. When his athleticism finally starts to dwindle away, he'll still have the strength to play bully ball all day or muscle his way through screens and double teams.

I'm not a LeBron fan whatsoever but the dude still has quite a few years playing at a high level left before claims of 'decline' start to ring true. I think there are A LOT of wishful thinkers/haters in this thread.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    I think perceptions of his "decline" stem from the change in his game in order to fit the role in Miami. There are still flashes of Cleveland LeBron on this Heat team though, more often than not, you see this new incarnation of the guy who settles for ill-advised jumpers. Chalk it up to getting comfortable on a new team or something. Despite minutes played, the guy is not declining. He's still an athletic freak but, for whatever reason, he doesn't think he needs to emphasize that part of his game anymore. If that's the case, dude needs to work on his perimeter game/work on his prowess as a point forward.

He can go a few routes when he does eventually decline. He can opt to bulk up even more and develop a strong low post game or rely solely on perimeter shooting. When his athleticism finally starts to dwindle away, he'll still have the strength to play bully ball all day or muscle his way through screens and double teams.

I'm not a LeBron fan whatsoever but the dude still has quite a few years playing at a high level left before claims of 'decline' start to ring true. I think there are A LOT of wishful thinkers/haters in this thread.
    What? I don't understand why anyone thinks that arguing LeBron has declined athletically is hating. That's an excuse if anything.

He clearly wasn't as explosive, quick, or agile this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    What? I don't understand why anyone thinks that arguing LeBron has declined athletically is hating. That's an excuse if anything.

Guys who are 26 with NO history of getting hurt or anything serious do not lose their athleticism so soon. I've never heard of it happening. Poor diet/training habits is more like it.

I think he may be on the downside, but that's not as dramatic as some make it out to be. He's played for 8 years. He isn't fresh and really young anymore. He can still improve his game if he works at it, obviously, but the fact of the matter is 8 seasons and multiple conference/NBA finals appearances will wear on a player. ANY player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

That could be because of the extra weight he has on his frame. If he loses like 20lbs this offseason and comes in next year just as quick as he was in the past will we still be saying that he declined?

Banned

Nevertheless, to automatically assume that's the result of a "decline" is a reach. The guy is acclimating to a new team and adapting to no longer being the clear cut #1 option anymore. I think most people would require more than one season to determine that he's on the decline.

I usually hit open layups SpLiTViZiOnZ's Avatar

It's his role with the team. He gets by off superior basketball talent, the likes of which has probably never been seen but he didn't really learn how to play the right way when he was still impressionable. He needs the ball in his hand at all times and just is not the same player off the ball. This is why he appeared to decline with Miami. I guarantee you if he had stayed in Cleveland none of this would have even been discussed. He was primary banana in Cleveland and he is some other kind of banana in Miami.

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    well you jumping off his dick would drop 30-35 lbs. at least i'm assuming that's what 12 year old filipinos weigh.

Are you implying that LeBron23 is Eric Spoelstra?

lebron needs more help

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    lebron needs more help

Decent college freshman

yes. By next year he will be such a cripple that Kevin Durant will unambiguously be the best small forward in the league.

That's the answer you wanted, right?