Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5 most relevant franchises this 2015 season?

What do you guys project will be the 5 most frequently discussed teams by the media and fans. Not necessarily winning teams, just teams that will be getting the lions share of spotlight (due to star players, controversies, or just being in a big market)?

I'm going with:

Cleveland Cavaliers - Bran Inc
    SA Spurs - Reigning champs
    Miami Heat - Bosh and Wade still a big-two, jilted by Brans departure
    Chicago Bulls - Healthy Rose, Pau join Noah and an already tough team
    LA Clippe... jk, LA Lakers. Kobe's back.

HM: OKC, which would usurp Miami or the Bulls if either of those two teams end up stuck in mediocrity come AS break, or they could usurp SA due to SA being typically "boring", steady and non-controversial.

List your 5.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: 5 most relevant franchises this 2015 season?

Spurs
    Cavs
    Thunder
    Heat
    Clippers

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Spurs
    Cavs
    Thunder
    Heat
    Clippers
    this

Banned

spurs, cavs, thunder, bulls, mavericks

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Chicago
    San Antonio
    Oklahoma City
    Los Angeles C.
    Miami James/LeBron Cavaliers

Cavaliers - Big 3
    Bulls - Rose
    L.A. Lakers - Bryant
    L.A. Clippers - Paul/Griffin
    Thunder - Durant

I know the Clippers will be the better team with the better record but do you guys really think Clippers will get more media spotlight and fan attention than the Lakers which feature Kobe Bryant's return and all the buzz about "how will he play!?, how will his age/injuries effect him!?" Kobe didn't even play last year and throughout the regular season there were more Lakers and Kobe threads than Clippers or any Clippers player threads by a ratio of like 10 to 1. If it wasn't for Donald Sterling's mistress leaking his private convo I'd have almost forgotten they existed let alone known they were winning more than losing.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I know the Clippers will be the better team with the better record but do you guys really think Clippers will get more media spotlight and fan attention than the Lakers which feature Kobe Bryant's return and all the buzz about "how will he play!?, how will his age/injuries effect him!?" Kobe didn't even play last year and throughout the regular season there were more Lakers and Kobe threads than Clippers or any Clippers player threads by a ratio of like 10 to 1. If it wasn't for Donald Sterling's mistress leaking his private convo I'd have almost forgotten they existed let alone known they were winning more than losing.
    Clippers and Lakers will co-own the spot light. Clippers have arguably 2 Top 10 players, as well a team know for being really exciting. Along with new ownership and a media angle because of the Sterling incident now wanting this to be "America's Team" or something along the lines, they will definitely get a lot of headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Well are we talking just media relevance, or overall relevance factoring in actual basketball success?

Between Blake & DJ both taking another step forward, improving the roster in the offseason, and another year of chemistry under Doc's coaching/system, I honestly think the Clippers this year could end up being a legitimate championship caliber team. Not only that, but they'd be exciting as hell. The Lakers....not so much. And shouldn't relevance through actual success be valued over relevance through historical reputation?

Edit: Didn't read the OP thoroughly. Yeah, Lakers are up there. But overall I think if we're talking about fans that know their shit, Clippers have the edge.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks/Nets got more discussion than the Spurs but that's just me.

Cavaliers
    Spurs
    Thunder
    Clippers
    Bulls/Lakers

Cavs, Spurs, and Thunder are the obvious ones. Cavs just got LeBron. They'll obviously be relevant because everyone keeps an eye on LeBron. Spurs just won the championship so of course they're relevant. The Thunder got arguably the best player going into next season, Kevin Durant, and have Russell Westbrook. Their expectations are high every year. Everyone's gonna have their eye on them.

The other teams that'll be relevant are the Clippers and Bulls/Lakers. The reason why I chose Bulls AND Lakers is because both teams have 2 huge players coming back from injury. Kobe has evidently been the most talked about/looked at player for more than a decade. Derrick Rose is making his returned -- again -- and fans/media want the former MVP to have his first good season since 2011/2012. If any of those 2 guys have a bad game, you already know the media will be all over them haha. The other team, LA Clippers, are also going to be relevant because they got Blake Griffin and Chris Paul. 2 guys who are looked at a lot by the media and fans.
    Last edited by Smook A.; 09-30-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Cavaliers - Big 3
    Bulls - Rose
    L.A. Lakers - Bryant
    L.A. Clippers - Paul/Griffin
    Thunder - Durant
    This.

Let me add one team that you guys are ignoring almost by reflex: the 76ers.

Before you dismiss me as being totally biased, just think, Philly will be on the final year in 2014-15 of it's tanking. By the 2015-2016 season, Philly will have Noel in his 2nd season, MCW in his 3rd season, Joel Embiid in his 1st season, and a top 5 or so draft pick again. Not to mention a ton of cap space for Hinkie to make moves.

Don't underestimate Philly. We have a large, rabid, knowledgeable untapped market. We are on the move, and we have a plan!
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 09-30-2014 at 02:30 AM.

oops you were talkin 2014-2015 season by the OP. I thought it was 2015-16..

So no, we won't be very much talked about THIS year, but we will be by 2015-2016....

It'll be:
    Cavaliers
    Bulls
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Thunder (maybe Knicks)

That's just how it is. ESPN and the media sure as hell doesn't talk about the Spurs. Even if they're coming off the championship, they'll probably play them secondary to these other teams.