o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Forcing someone left or right

Is it possible to force someone one direction just by positioning your feet higher on one side? Or is just a mental thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o28vdt7fQw

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Forcing someone left or right

Absolutely.

Now nothing is fool proof of course, and a good offensive player is going to be taught to "attack the top foot", but if you're a good defender and position yourself right, you can force a player in a direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Absolutely.

Now nothing is fool proof of course, and a good offensive player is going to be taught to "attack the top foot", but if you're a good defender and position yourself right, you can force a player in a direction.

This. I've played ball for so long I rarely think about it. I force people to their weak hand almost by instinct.

If you keep your body at an angle and don't let them get past your shoulder it can be done effectively with good timing, coordination, and footwork.

Yep what ^ said. Btw 80% of players I verse can't usually go left.

the thing those kids in the video are doing wrong is they aren't moving their feet to cut him off. they think just because they stand like that he will go left. WRONG. attacking the top foot is easier if your defender can't move their feet.

dont be like them. move your feet.

Saw a basketball once

i find that it helps to move my feet and be like a pest in defense and but it requires great stamina to be able to move with so much intensity.

i find that it's easier to get attacked by offensive player by not moving feet and not being active which i figure out the hard way because i do not possess the good stamina to be able to go hard with intensity, but now i'm working on my stamina and it's improving and making the basketball game easier with defense.

Quote Originally Posted by KokoWarzone
    i find that it helps to move my feet and be like a pest in defense and but it requires great stamina to be able to move with so much intensity.

i find that it's easier to get attacked by offensive player by not moving feet and not being active which i figure out the hard way because i do not possess the good stamina to be able to go hard with intensity, but now i'm working on my stamina and it's improving and making the basketball game easier with defense.
    "Wall sits" help.

These kids need to move their feet. WTF?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Just need to remind folks that when facing an elite ball handler best not to position your feet too extreme to try and force them one way, as broken ankles often occurs as you are already facing more to one side....

there are a couple of guys i play against that are better driving left. obviously you want to force a lefty to his right side. the older you get, the more you realize that you have to outsmart them. kinda like shane battier. i hate that punk, but hes a smart defender.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Just need to remind folks that when facing an elite ball handler best not to position your feet too extreme to try and force them one way, as broken ankles often occurs as you are already facing more to one side....
    Agreed with this, in this case I would give them a bit more space and force them to shoot that rock. If he is also a shooter, then I gotta stay closer and be really low so I could easily move my feet and also rely on my other teammates to cover for me, if I get beaten. Defense will take so much energy.

These players are a gem though, if you do find players like this - keep playing with them as you will learn a lot and they will make you feel like you should be on your toes 24/7.