Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Default will we see another Finals MVP on the losing team?

In any sport? To join Jerry West, Ron Hextall, Bobby Richardson and Chuck Howley in the history books. In the modern era what would it take?

Default Re: will we see another Finals MVP on the losing team?

With the way the game is set up now, I have a hard time seeing this ever happening again. As much as I love Magic, Kareem deserved the FMVP in 80, but was out in the last game so he didn't get it. If something like that happened as early as 1980, then I doubt we're going to see a West situation again. The only possible exception would be if, say, someone like Lillard got to the finals, took the Heat to seven games clearly leading his own team, and then got injured during game 7 and lost because he physically could not play anymore that game.

no
    [COLOR="White"]inb4 lebron fans mentioning lebron[/COLOR]

How did Bobby Richardson win over Mantle that year?

Dunking on everybody in the park

maybe if it is undeniable greatness, like 40-13-9 on 63% shooting for the series
    but otherwise no way

the award has developed a very basic formula over the years, going to the loser is very very unlikely

I rule the local playground

Since the media is pre-disposed to vote for Lebron in any voting situation and he still didnt get it in the last Finals, i'd say it's pretty near impossible.

But i cant say 100%. A player going bonkers like Jerry West did against a well oiled opponent that shares the ball with no heavy scorer could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pharcyde
    maybe if it is undeniable greatness, like 40-13-9 on 63% shooting for the series
    but otherwise no way

the award has developed a very basic formula over the years, going to the loser is very very unlikely
    Yeah it would have to be a great performance along with a very mediocre performance of the other team's individuals. I dunno if it's possible.

-Smak

It'd have to a legendary, valiant effort from a generational talent against a historically balanced team without a clear-cut star...If Lebron put up something like 37/10/10 with his teammates still sucking, and took the Spurs to a tight game 7 but still lost, I could've seen him winning FMVP.

I don't think it's happening any time soon though. Aside from San Antonio, every contender in the league has one or more top tier stars that would definitely win FMVP if the team was to win the chip. And even SA has a developing star in Kawhi.

Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

No

Considering that we after Jerry West have seen PLENTY of situations where the player from the losing team was by far the best player in the Finals (you actually see it very often as it is always the best team that wins the championship, not the best player, see even the latest Finals).... so i would say no, never again.... i dont even know why NBA broke their FMVP rules/criteria to give him one... perhaps for the sympathy of all the amazing performances from so many Finals appearances, not sure....
    Last edited by pauk; 10-03-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    i dont even know why NBA broke their FMVP rules/criteria to give him one... perhaps for the sympathy of all the amazing performances from so many Finals appearances, not sure....
    FMVP was only awarded since 1969 (when West won it)

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Considering that we after Jerry West have seen PLENTY of situations where the player from the losing team was by far the best player in the Finals (you actually see it very often as it is always the best team that wins the championship, not the best player, see even the latest Finals).... so i would say no, never again.... i dont even know why NBA broke their FMVP rules/criteria to give him one... perhaps for the sympathy of all the amazing performances from so many Finals appearances, not sure....
    This. Look no further than the last Finals. We all know who was CLEARLY the best player.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    FMVP was only awarded since 1969 (when West won it)
    I am talking about the rest, the 99.9% of the other FMVP awards given out..... considering that i doubt he would get any more FMVPs if that award did exist the whole time..... but if it did exist and Jerry would STILL get just even ONE more FMVP in similar fashion then that would be even more confusing...... considering that FMVP criteria they use/used there is completely opposite to 99.9% of the rest that were handed out and that criteria is something like: "Whoever had the best Finals stats on the winning team, is FMVP"..... I mean, again, there has been very many Finals where the best performer by far was on the losing team, see even the last Finals.... that criteria of "FMVP is the best Finals performer, win or lose" seems to have existed only ONE year in NBA history....

and it kindof makes sense the FMVP criteria was not so clear immediately as that award was completely new, but the criteria become very clear afterwards.....
    Last edited by pauk; 10-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.

I am talking about the rest, the 99.9% of the other FMVP awards given out..... considering that i doubt he would get any more FMVPs if that award did exist the whole time..... but if it did exist and Jerry would STILL get just even ONE more FMVP in similar fashion then that would be even more confusing...... considering that FMVP criteria they use/used there is completely opposite to 99.9% of the rest that were handed out and that criteria is something like: "Whoever had the best Finals stats on the winning team, is FMVP"..... I mean, again, there has been very many Finals where the best performer by far was on the losing team, see even the last Finals.... that criteria of "FMVP is the best Finals performer, win or lose" seems to have existed only ONE year in NBA history....

i dont even know why NBA broke their FMVP rules/criteria to give him one...
    Kinda hard to break the/a criteria when that something hasn't even been done before

And no, there hasn't been very many Finals where the best performer, by far, was on the losing team...

Basketball Genius

and it kindof makes sense the FMVP criteria was not so clear immediately as that award was completely new, but the criteria become very clear afterwards.....
    mods!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!