Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Replace Kemp with Prime Garnett on 96 Sonics

Bring a prime, RINGLESS, KG to the Sonics.... he'd be so hungry with GP20 .. .i imagine a ferocious duo, eating the hearts of their opposition
    every night.
    KG's is one of the greatest ,most versatile defenders in the history of the game. Top 4 defensive forward (duncan, pippen, lebron round out) all time, great passer and playmaker which would be huge on a good squad like the 96 Sonics.

Default Re: Replace Kemp with Prime Garnett on 96 Sonics

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Bring a prime, RINGLESS, KG to the Sonics.... he'd be so hungry with GP20 .. .i imagine a ferocious duo, eating the hearts of their opposition
    every night.
    KG's is one of the greatest ,most versatile defenders in the history of the game. Top 4 defensive forward (duncan, pippen, lebron round out) all time, great passer and playmaker which would be huge on a good squad like the 96 Sonics.

They would be worse. Kemp was the reason they made it
    through the playoffs. Kemps 95-96 season is the most
    underrated finals run in ISH history. Garnett would of
    not got past the Rockets or the Jazz. He for sure would
    of got took by those bulls. Same results, different folks.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

So are you saying the Sonics would have beat the Bulls with KG instead of Kemp?

A prime KG does help but unless he was going to put up some ridiculous numbers, the Sonics still wouldn't take the Bulls. Reason being, Kemp had a really solid series. KG would probably have done a better job keeping Rodman off the offensive glass and reducing the Bulls 2nd chance opportunities would have been huge. But again we are talking about Rodman here.

Yes KG in his prime was as versatile a defender as they come but Kemp anchored that defense very well. KG would improve that team IMO, but enough to beat the Bulls? Tough to say.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by CAstill

A prime KG makes them worse? Really?

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAstill

You delete your account right now!

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Top 4 defensive forward (duncan, pippen, lebron round out) all time, great passer and playmaker which would be huge on a good squad like the 96 Sonics.
    SMH, holy shit. NO. I don't know where people get shit like this from, but if LeBron isn't quickly becoming the most overrated defensive player of All-Time than I don't know what's going on. Look, I'll give LeBron credit, he's become a very good defender over the last 2-3 years but he is nowhere near the All-Time greats, come on with that. Best player in the world today, All-Time great offensive player and player overall, but he's not one of the greatest defensive players ever, he's just not.

As for the topic, I think KG makes the Sonics better defensively but not enough to beat the Bulls, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP CITY
    SMH, holy shit. NO. I don't know where people get shit like this from, but if LeBron isn't quickly becoming the most overrated defensive player of All-Time than I don't know what's going on. Look, I'll give LeBron credit, he's become a very good defender over the last 2-3 years but he is nowhere near the All-Time greats, come on with that. Best player in the world today, All-Time great offensive player and player overall, but he's not one of the greatest defensive players ever, he's just not.

As for the topic, I think KG makes the Sonics better defensively but not enough to beat the Bulls, no way.
    Yes he is. He defends the post, and the outside as well as anyone in the league as a whole. The only thing he's not great at is help defense.

National High School Star

KG was the anchor on one of the greatest defensive teams in NBA history, 2008 Celtics..

Imagine pairing him next to a prime GP20 .

Sonics 1996 NBA Champs

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Yes he is. He defends the post, and the outside as well as anyone in the league as a whole. The only thing he's not great at is help defense.
    Calling him one of best defensive players in the NBA today is fine with me but calling him one of the greatest defensive players of All-Time is just not accurate in my opinion. He's not one of the best defenders in the post, he is probably the best non-big man at defending in the post (debatable, but I wouldn't complain about it) but there are alot of big man who do it better. He's not the best perimeter defender in the NBA, he's just recently (last 2-3 years) become one of the best perimeter defenders in the League. That does not equal "All-Time Great" defender in NBA history. He's a very good to great defensive player, he's not one of the Top 4 All-Time Forward defenders like the OP said and he's not one of the best defensive players of All-Time. There is a pretty big difference between great and All-Time great.
    Last edited by RIP CITY; 07-28-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Kemp had a good series vs Bulls, we could expect similar scoring with KG, plus better rebounding and defense (most likely the best in NBA, which would limit Bulls more than they did with Kemp). Sonics would gain advantage with having a better playmaker in KG, considering team already had more versatile offense than Bulls.

Series would become much more even, toss up who wins. Still I wouldnt bet against Jordan.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Kemp had a good series vs Bulls, we could expect similar scoring with KG, plus better rebounding and defense (most likely the best in NBA, which would limit Bulls more than they did with Kemp). Sonics would gain advantage with having a better playmaker in KG, considering team already had more versatile offense than Bulls.

Series would become much more even, toss up who wins. Still I wouldnt bet against Jordan.
    This!

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

kemp famously pushed/punched back kevin willis that playoff run and there was mini controversy about him not getting tossed or missing games

the real big dog...antoine carr/willis...malone..rodman

there were legit big strong tough guys playing 4 back then...toughman fake guy antics by kg would get him smacked silly

and he just didn't have the strength to play 4 in that era...he'd get pushed around

rodman had the strength and foot speed to bother kg...whereas kemp wiped his ass with rodman...did a drop step reverse dunk on rodman out of the lowpost and tea bagged him

pippen could have bothered kg if he played outside

College superstar

them niggas still would not have won shit

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    kemp famously pushed/punched back kevin willis that playoff run and there was mini controversy about him not getting tossed or missing games

the real big dog...antoine carr/willis...malone..rodman

there were legit big strong tough guys playing 4 back then...toughman fake guy antics by kg would get him smacked silly

and he just didn't have the strength to play 4 in that era...he'd get pushed around

rodman had the strength and foot speed to bother kg...whereas kemp wiped his ass with rodman...did a drop step reverse dunk on rodman out of the lowpost and tea bagged him

pippen could have bothered kg if he played outside
    This. Love KG but seriously he couldn't cut it at the 4 back then. Just not strong enough.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Hold up, let me get this shit straight.....someone mentioned Celtics Garnett that anchored that D

Kemp in 96 put up 19 ppg/11 reb/56%
    in playoffs 20 ppg/10 reb/57%, with 40 blocked shots

is somehow worse than

Garnett in 08 put up 20 ppg/10 reb/49%, with 41 block shots