Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Yi to demand a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    uhm, wrong. He may no longer be under a contractual obligation (though i think he is, look at how long nba players retain the rights to Luis scola or Zelko Rebrajca (something like 6 years)) but he cant reenter the draft. Think about Randoplh Morris from UK, entered the draft didnt get taken and became an undrafted free agent. Im pretty sure you cant be drafted twice.
    You can be pretty sure all you want to. You're wrong. Period.

Read it: http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

ok, we dont know the first thing about any media figure but we still hold them up to scrutiny. How is this any different? Think about the Kobe rape bashing that still goes on. Who cares?
    Oh ok, because you do it to other players that makes it ok. I see now.

Mathius

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
    Get with the program, man. Do whatever it takes to join the league as a free agent if you want to choose your destination.
    You cant become an nba free agent until you have been draft eligible (22) and didnt get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius
    Oh great Mathius, please explain to me how Randoplh Morris (an undrafted player who had no professional contract) couldnt re-enter the draft?

NBA lottery pick

Oh great Mathius, please explain to me how Randoplh Morris (an undrafted player who had no professional contract) couldnt re-enter the draft?
    I don't know (or care) who Randolph Morris is. Did he sign an agent? How do you know he didn't enter the draft a second time and not get selected again? How do you know he didn't enter the draft a previous year?

There's only a certain number of times you can enter the draft (2, I think).

Mathius

Mathius
    ok that I am,
    but I dont understand how an undrafted player cant enter the subsequent draft? any ideas, mathius?

also, adam is right, he is under professional contract right now, so by the time the "subsequent draft" comes along, he wont have been a non-pro player for 12 months. besides it wont come to that.

I don't know (or care) who Randolph Morris is. Did he sign an agent? How do you know he didn't enter the draft a second time and not get selected again? How do you know he didn't enter the draft a previous year?

There's only a certain number of times you can enter the draft (2, I think).

Mathius
    it is 2 times, but only under those special circumstances, otherwise why wouldnt tiago splitter stay in the draft, see where he falls and then try again the following year? you must not follow college ball at all. Kentucky, declared after freshman year, stayed in, didnt get drafted, NCAA gave him his eligibility back (never "retained" an agent although he certainly used their money), picked up by the knicks as a free agent this year.
    Last edited by boozehound; 07-05-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad ReturnOfJimi's Avatar

You cant become an nba free agent until you have been draft eligible (22) and didnt get drafted.
    OK, then wait til then if you want to PICK where you GO.

Oh, wait...

He is 22!

Bucks fan

Do you even have a clue what's in his contract with the Tiger's or how it works? Or are you just spouting crap to hear yourself talk.
    Like I said, the contract with the Tigers extends one more year, and they're hoping to profit from releasing Yi from it early. The Bucks will pay them a significant amount.
    He could have taken B. Wright, or Corey Brewer with the pick, and either of those players would have actually probably been happy to play in Milwaukee.
    The job of a GM isn't to draft the player who will be happiest coming there. It's to draft the best player, period. 2 of the top 9 picks this year refused workouts in Milwaukee. If Milwaukee rolls over and obeys their wishes, next year there could be more. Really surprising that someone could think the Bucks are somehow at fault.

Bucks fan

also, adam is right, he is under professional contract right now, so by the time the "subsequent draft" comes along, he wont have been a non-pro player for 12 months. besides it wont come to that.
    Plus, let's say he sits out for a full year from basketball. Who wants to draft an arrogant prick who hasn't even played basketball in a year? As if LA and NY or wherever it is that he wants to go, are going to be just dying to draft him at that point.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    The job of a GM isn't to draft the player who will be happiest coming there. It's to draft the best player, period. 2 of the top 9 picks this year refused workouts in Milwaukee. If Milwaukee rolls over and obeys their wishes, next year there could be more. Really surprising that someone could think the Bucks are somehow at fault.
    Because you continually fail to ignore my point, which is that Milwaukee may have pretty much thrown away their draft choice just to make a point.

Pretty costly if you ask me.

And yeah, keeping the players happy is a big part of the job of a GM. Players make a hell of a lot more money than a GM, or coach.

Oh, and don't think the league offices aren't watching this carefully. Yi's been on the front page of nba.com all day now, as they expect to see him in the Summer League.

Mathius

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    Plus, let's say he sits out for a full year from basketball. Who wants to draft an arrogant prick who hasn't even played basketball in a year? As if LA and NY or wherever it is that he wants to go, are going to be just dying to draft him at that point.
    well he will keep playing for the pro team in china he is under contract to now and the chinese national team, so he'll be plenty busy playing ball...

the whole problem from what i see is he has a really good deal in china now, and if he doesn't want to go to milwuakee he sees it as no problem to pass the NBA up...

he is a superstar in china/asia, he makes good money compared to other people there and has no motivation to give that up to go to a perenial cellar dwelling team and get lost in the shuffle...

Bucks fan

Because you continually fail to ignore my point, which is that Milwaukee may have pretty much thrown away their draft choice just to make a point.

Pretty costly if you ask me.
    They aren't throwing anything away. Yi cannot afford to go back to China and forget about his NBA dreams forever just to make a point. That's what would be costly. Yi will realize this over the coming weeks and will either sign in Milwaukee or be saved by an equal value trade. He can't just go back to China - the Chinese government doesn't want him there, Fegan doesn't want him there, and the Tigers might not even want him there.
    And yeah, keeping the players happy is a big part of the job of a GM. Players make a hell of a lot more money than a GM, or coach.
    Only within reasonable limits. You don't trade away good players just because they ask for it. I assume you think the Lakers are stupid for still having Kobe on their roster, and should accept whatever offers happen to come along for him?
    Oh, and don't think the league offices aren't watching this carefully. Yi's been on the front page of nba.com all day now, as they expect to see him in the Summer League.
    You're right. The league could crack down hard on Yi and Fegan at any moment for thinking that they are above the integrity of the CBA and the draft process. A lifetime ban for Fegan wouldn't be out of the question. Stern doesn't **** around with people who think that they are the ones calling the shots. You're even dumber than I thought if you think that the league will side with anyone other than the Bucks here.

Bucks fan

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    well he will keep playing for the pro team in china he is under contract to now and the chinese national team, so he'll be plenty busy playing ball...
    Then he can't re-enter the draft, and the Bucks still have his rights. I was explaining what would happen if he tries to do what it takes to re-enter the draft, since that's the only way he can end up with another team.

he is a superstar in china/asia, he makes good money compared to other people there and has no motivation to give that up to go to a perenial cellar dwelling team and get lost in the shuffle...
    Which team are you talking about? Bucks were in the playoffs 6 of the past 10 years.

If he stays in the CBA, he would be extremely lucky to make half of the money he would make for the Bucks. And even if he thought that was worth it, the Chinese government might not even allow it. They want him developing in the NBA, after how well it has paid off for Yao.

Think for a minute about Pros/Cons Bucks vs Tigers.

Bucks: Way more money, much better competition, a lot more fame.
    Tigers: More Chinese speaking people nearby.

Take your pick I guess.

Well this is getting outta control guys...On another not, Scot Pollard for president....