Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    anyone who did not get the award because an overrated PG won instead
    You referring to the Nash years?

Default Re: Mvps that never were

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    Joey Crawford
    3 FMVPs too

by DMavs constant fighting over the 2011 season...Dirk was the unanimous MVP

You referring to the Nash years?
    Must have, because Iverson was a SG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    3 FMVPs too

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    3 FMVPs too
    Manu Ginobili got robbed of the FMVP in the last title, can't believe they gave it to LeBron

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cos88
    my bad 2011 but the team was the same as in 09 minus parker and big z at the start of the year.
    The only players that started more than 38 games were 22 year old JJ Hickson and 35 year old Anthony Parker. Varejao played 31 games total and Mo Williams played 34. Pretty sure if everyone were healthy, they'd pull out 30+ wins. Not sure if Wade's 2009 completely healthy squad would even win the 19 games that the Cavs did.

When I was watching both Wade and Lebron play in 09, you can see Wade was dominant. Not sure if I'd label Lebron that. Wade was the best player that year but Lebron made the best team. He's the master of production and consistence. If Jordan was on that Cavalier team, he wouldn't even pull out 55+ win, but that wouldn't make Jordan less dominant than the 66 win Lebron. Not saying Lebron didn't deserve the MVP, but Wade winning it would be perfectly justifiable. According the the league standard, Wade had no shot at the MVP. Kobe had more votes.

I rule the local playground

Although both are Lakers now and I like both, Nash winning MVP's over Kobe put an asterik on the award forever. I understand why Nash won it but Kobe was unreal at the time, by far the best player in the league, had historic feats like every week and it just made the criteria for the award seem like total BS.

Manu Ginobili got robbed of the FMVP in the last title, can't believe they gave it to LeBron

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Wade had no case over LeBron in '09. He was not as good of a player and he didn't have as much team success.

MJ 1997
    Shaq 2001

Are the 2 obvious robberies for me. Maybe Dirk in '06 as well.
    I don't know why people always say Mj 1997. Statistically Karl Malone had the better season. He led the league in Per and was more significant to the jazz defense than MJ was to the Bulls defense with Pippen and Rodman being there. The Bulls only won 5 more games (69 compared to 64) so winning isn't even really a factor. Malone was just as good in 98 and it's a comparable season considering both Pippen and Stockton were injured that season and Stocktons minutes dropped considerably when he did play. Stockons minutes dropped by 6.3mpg in the 64 games he did play in 98 yet Malone basically had almost the same kind of season. Jordan won the MVP in 98 mostly from career accomplishment and not the season he had. If we want to talk about "robberies" you can say Malone was robbed in 98.

I'm not saying Jordan shouldn't have won, but to say it's a robbery is just pure idiocy when it was anything BUT a robbery.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 0000000
    Although both are Lakers now and I like both, Nash winning MVP's over Kobe put an asterik on the award forever. I understand why Nash won it but Kobe was unreal at the time, by far the best player in the league, had historic feats like every week and it just made the criteria for the award seem like total BS.
    Not even true.

Also, there is literally no standard criteria for the award. It's the story of the year award and if there is no real story, it's given to the best player on the best teams.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Not even true.

Also, there is literally no standard criteria for the award. It's the story of the year award and if there is no real story, it's given to the best player on the best teams.

Yes true. One who scores 81 points in a game, 62 in 3 quarters, breaks all sorts of records all the time is the best player that year. Playing at a superhuman level not quite seen like that before. Except maybe Wilt but different era and all, hard to talk about it.
    That's going to superhuman lengths individually if there ever was such a thing. Next year he had multiple 50 pt, 60 pt games.
    Not many players in the history of the game were capable of that. Wilt and maybe MJ and that's it.

Besides, leading a team starting Smush Parker, Luke Walton and Kwame Brown to the playoffs has to count for something as far as team success.

3-time NBA All-Star

1990 Patrick Ewing
    2008 Chris Paul
    2009 Dwyane Wade
    2013 Kevin Durant

^^^Players who never won an MVP that had amazing seasons but were ultimately beat by someone else who deserved it more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 0000000
    Yes true. One who scores 81 points in a game, 62 in 3 quarters, breaks all sorts of records all the time is the best player that year. Playing at a superhuman level not quite seen like that before. Except maybe Wilt but different era and all, hard to talk about it.
    That's going to superhuman lengths individually if there ever was such a thing. Next year he had multiple 50 pt, 60 pt games.
    Not many players in the history of the game were capable of that. Wilt and maybe MJ and that's it.
    If your argument rests on statistics as to him being "clearly better than everyone else" then look no further than LeBron, who is superior statistically, in the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Wade had no case over LeBron in '09. He was not as good of a player and he didn't have as much team success.

MJ 1997
    Shaq 2001

Are the 2 obvious robberies for me. Maybe Dirk in '06 as well.
    This post right here.

And Garnett or Paul 2008.
    Last edited by D-Wade316; 12-12-2013 at 06:17 PM.