Default Spurs fans, enjoy. And for those who call Duncan a mere role player this playoffs,

Not that I agree with a top 5 ranking, but still a nice article:

TIM DUNCAN, SPURS

Forward/center | Age: 38
    6-11, 250 pounds
    Last year: No. 6
    2013-14 statistics

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Default Re: Spurs fans, enjoy. And for those who call Duncan a mere role player this playoffs,

I have all the respect in the world for Duncan but

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Spurs fans, enjoy. And for those who call Duncan a mere role player this playoffs,

In Tim Duncan we trust! He will always be one of the best and for SPURS fans like me he is the №1. Some will say stats or legacy shows otherwise but for me personally his style of play, his attitude towards the game it's just a unique combination that nobody else has. I enjoy watching him play and I will be truly sad when he retires. Good read OP thank you.

This ring didn't do much for his legacy, but people calling him a role player are just stupid.

If Duncan's a role player so are the Gasol brothers.

Saw a basketball once

Watching Timmy take over overtime in game 6 @ okc was amazing, ibaka was getting schooled. I've seen almost every spurs game since i was born, its gonna be one sad day when tim walks off the court for the last time.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    This ring didn't do much for his legacy, but people calling him a role player are just stupid.

I agree and disagree. It validates a number of talking points about his career and choices that he made to stay under pop and the sacrifices in pay he took.

It also solidifies the longevity part of his legacy. Exposed the reality that the only thing that has declined with any level of significance over the years are the minutes he plays.

Additionally it should serve as a future design on how valuable it is to preserve your stars rather than bleed their 20's and prime years dry.

Very good NBA starter

I'd take 37-38 year old Duncan over some of the best, current, big men (Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, etc) and to me that really speaks volumes. Duncan is the rock, the foundation, the leader. His shooting range has greatly helped his longevity (compared to players like say Ben Wallace or Shaq), ability to play next to a true center in Tiago or play next to a PF in Diaw is huge, his playmaking has always made him special, and his defense and shot blocking is instrumental even if though he's not as agile as he used to be.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Exactly...if Duncan's a role player, every Spur is a role player.

Local High School Star

Thumbs up Re: Spurs fans, enjoy. And for those who call Duncan a mere role player this playoffs,

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    I'd take 37-38 year old Duncan over some of the best, current, big men (Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, etc) and to me that really speaks volumes. Duncan is the rock, the foundation, the leader. His shooting range has greatly helped his longevity (compared to players like say Ben Wallace or Shaq), ability to play next to a true center in Tiago or play next to a PF in Diaw is huge, his playmaking has always made him special, and his defense and shot blocking is instrumental even if though he's not as agile as he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalRyan
    I agree and disagree. It validates a number of talking points about his career and choices that he made to stay under pop and the sacrifices in pay he took.

It also solidifies the longevity part of his legacy. Exposed the reality that the only thing that has declined with any level of significance over the years are the minutes he plays.

Additionally it should serve as a future design on how valuable it is to preserve your stars rather than bleed their 20's and prime years dry.
    Yes, the longevity is a big boost for sure.

2013 and 2014 are very rare seasons for someone Tim's age. His play in 2013 especially. His production definitely boosted his legacy but simply winning the title doesn't. Ray Allen making one shot doesn't increase or decrease his legacy imo, especially since he wasn't even in the game.

5-time NBA All-Star

Yes, the longevity is a big boost for sure.

2013 and 2014 are very rare seasons for someone Tim's age. His play in 2013 especially. His production definitely boosted his legacy but simply winning the title doesn't. Ray Allen making one shot doesn't increase or decrease his legacy imo, especially since he wasn't even in the game.
    That's the amazing thing about Duncan, if he's in the game, Ray doesn't get that shot. He gets that rebound. He does so many things right and knows how to make himself effective. I do think he looks slow but I never see any exploitation because of it. He knows where to be to make something good happen. I've come to really appreciate him the last two years. He's really interesting.