Default Al Jefferson or Al Horford

I like the Horford addition for the Celtics, but I kind of wish they had gotten Al Jefferson back instead. I think Jefferson is better and Indiana got him for less than half the money. How does this happen?

With Gerald Green back, it would have been fun to have Big Al return too. Both were very popular here and both were sent off in the KG trade.

Default Re: Al Jefferson or Al Horford

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I like the Horford addition for the Celtics, but I kind of wish they had gotten Al Jefferson back instead. I think Jefferson is better and Indiana got him for less than half the money. How does this happen?

With Gerald Green back, it would have been fun to have Big Al return too. Both were very popular here and both were sent off in the KG trade.
    I get why you feel that way, but Horf is definitely better. Jefferson's Celtics tenure was pretty awesome in his short stint, but Horford's game is just better all around. While not a defensive anchor he's definitely better on that end, his range extends further out, he's less reliant on having the ball in his hands, and he's an all-around team player who can pass and do it all. I think you'll be very happy with him.

Jefferson is a skilled big man but I think he's the poster boy for a guy who's game is marginalized by what the game has become. He's one of the most skilled post guys in the game, but he can't get to the line, he's not a good defender. I mean, the only meaningful advantage he has over Horford is rebounding. The Pacers got a pretty good deal on him but if you want to win titles I don't think Al Jeff should be one of your rotation guys. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    I get why you feel that way, but Horf is definitely better. Jefferson's Celtics tenure was pretty awesome in his short stint, but Horford's game is just better all around. While not a defensive anchor he's definitely better on that end, his range extends further out, he's less reliant on having the ball in his hands, and he's an all-around team player who can pass and do it all. I think you'll be very happy with him.

Jefferson is a skilled big man but I think he's the poster boy for a guy who's game is marginalized by what the game has become. He's one of the most skilled post guys in the game, but he can't get to the line, he's not a good defender. I mean, the only meaningful advantage he has over Horford is rebounding. The Pacers got a pretty good deal on him but if you want to win titles I don't think Al Jeff should be one of your rotation guys. JMO
    You're probably right. A lot of nostalgia in my thought.

at his best like 2014 big al may have had a case but he's a bench guy who plays less than 25mpg now. Definitely was not a big part of Charlotte being good this year. It's definitely Horford now and he's a better fit for how Boston wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    at his best like 2014 big al may have had a case but he's a bench guy who plays less than 25mpg now. Definitely was not a big part of Charlotte being good this year. It's definitely Horford now and he's a better fit for how Boston wants to play.
    Agree with this, and part of why I have my doubts about Indy now being a surprise good team this year is because of the number of guys they have as key rotation guys who can't really score efficiently within the flow of the offense. Meh..

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    Agree with this, and part of why I have my doubts about Indy now being a surprise good team this year is because of the number of guys they have as key rotation guys who can't really score efficiently within the flow of the offense. Meh..
    There might be a good chance that Jefferson doesn't even start. Myles Turner really had a good year last year for them and is a legit rim protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    There might be a good chance that Jefferson doesn't even start. Myles Turner really had a good year last year for them and is a legit rim protector.
    No I definitely think so. Turner should absolutely start IMO, and he will be a monster when he finally fills out. Impeccable big man instincts from what I saw last year. But combine Al's 20-25 MPG with Monta's... Monta-ness... Even Thad to me is like... I don't know, having watched Thad on the Nets I think he's a good player but not necessarily a winning one, but he is capable of being just a cog in the machine.

I just wonder about how it will all fit together. Maybe I'll be wrong, I mean they'll have all the opportunity in the world to jell as a unit and probably have a floor of the 4th/5th seed out East. Definitely one of the teams to watch.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Horford is a much better player than Jefferson at this stage, especially in the kind of motion offense that the Stevens wants to run. Horford is a really good midrange shooter who doesn't need the ball in his hands a ton to get going (unlike Jefferson).

Horford is also a good defensive player, which Jefferson is not.

There's a reason Horford was highly sought after and Jefferson was not. I think you'll be pretty happy with what you get, injuries not withstanding.