Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If Duncan wants to carry on, Can the Spurs stay contenders for a while longer?

Duncan is 38 but if he manages to have his mins managed Can the Spurs still stay close to this level going forward? Obviously Manu is 35 or so will likely retires sooner or later but he is replaceable I would imagine. Their depth is crazy good and of course a great system. Parker is 32 but his game is built to last. So how much longer can the Spurs stay great for?

Default Re: If Duncan wants to carry on, Can the Spurs stay contenders for a while longer?

They can be great for a few more years IMO.

Default Re: If Duncan wants to carry on, Can the Spurs stay contenders for a while longer?

their core doesnt require athleticism to be great...just skill

Banned

Tim Duncan is done after this year, win or lose.

Banned

Depends how long Pop stays really. Say Duncan and Ginobilli retire this year, you've still got an excellent team, and $20+mil off the books. Splitter, Baynes and Belinelli would be able to soften the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Duncan is 38 but if he manages to have his mins managed Can the Spurs still stay close to this level going forward? Obviously Manu is 35 or so will likely retires sooner or later but he is replaceable I would imagine. Their depth is crazy good and of course a great system. Parker is 32 but his game is built to last. So how much longer can the Spurs stay great for?

I'd have a wild guess and say IF they won this year, the 3 of them would retire together.

Hell, maybe even Popovich also.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I think the core of Parker, Leonard, and Splitter with a deep team around them and Pop coaching will be able to carry it on.

Leonard will likely take on a huge role next year...and he looks ready for it.

I see him playing 38 or so minutes (up from 30 this year) and having more action come his way offensively.

He seems more than capable to do something like;

20/9/3 58% TS in those increased minutes if he also gets a few more possessions to use by taking on a bigger role.

Manu is definitely going to play out next year as it's his last year.

Duncan has a 10 million dollar player option...so if he stays...the Spurs can run back the same team more or less with maybe adding a piece or two as they might lose Mills to free agency.

If Duncan retires and doesn't pick up his option...the Spurs would have roughly 20 million in cap space with every other key player other than Diaw on the books.

Seems like either way they will be a contender unless Pop retires as well...which I really hope doesn't happen.

Who knows what will happen, but I hope...win or lose this year...the Spurs make one last run next year and then retool completely after 2015...which would actually make the most sense for everyone involved. Parker/Duncan/Manu would all be off the books. Leonard's contract would essentially be up as he won't take the qualifying offer. They would actually only have Splitter's 8.5 million a year on the books for 2016. That is all they would have...

So it seems like the perfect thing to do is go for broke one last time and then call it quits if that is what they want. Who knows though...I wouldn't be shocked if Manu and Ducan both signed for the veteran minimum and took on more player/coach roles to help with the transition. Pretty sure old as shit Duncan will still be a damn good player for 15 to 20 minutes a game.

Local High School Star

win or lose no one is retiring this year
    they will be a serious contender next year
    i see manu retiring after next year
    duncan i feel will play for 3~4 more years

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think the core of Parker, Leonard, and Splitter with a deep team around them and Pop coaching will be able to carry it on.

Leonard will likely take on a huge role next year...and he looks ready for it.

I see him playing 38 or so minutes (up from 30 this year) and having more action come his way offensively.

He seems more than capable to do something like;

20/9/3 58% TS in those increased minutes if he also gets a few more possessions to use by taking on a bigger role.

Manu is definitely going to play out next year as it's his last year.

Duncan has a 10 million dollar player option...so if he stays...the Spurs can run back the same team more or less with maybe adding a piece or two as they might lose Mills to free agency.

If Duncan retires and doesn't pick up his option...the Spurs would have roughly 20 million in cap space with every other key player other than Diaw on the books.

Seems like either way they will be a contender unless Pop retires as well...which I really hope doesn't happen.

Who knows what will happen, but I hope...win or lose this year...the Spurs make one last run next year and then retool completely after 2015...which would actually make the most sense for everyone involved. Parker/Duncan/Manu would all be off the books. Leonard's contract would essentially be up as he won't take the qualifying offer. They would actually only have Splitter's 8.5 million a year on the books for 2016. That is all they would have...

So it seems like the perfect thing to do is go for broke one last time and then call it quits if that is what they want. Who knows though...I wouldn't be shocked if Manu and Ducan both signed for the veteran minimum and took on more player/coach roles to help with the transition. Pretty sure old as shit Duncan will still be a damn good player for 15 to 20 minutes a game.
    Great points, didn't realise the cap situation and really they will be set for a long time even if guys retire.

Pop is the key here, as long as he stays they are in good shape.

If Spurs were to win it all I see Duncan staying one more year and go for something he has never done and thats repeat. I feel he would be motivated to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    I'd have a wild guess and say IF they won this year, the 3 of them would retire together.

Hell, maybe even Popovich also.
    what makes you think parker would retire this year. typical mouth-breather post

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by red1

Geez, that's kinda mean.

Seriously though, what the FUCK was he thinking?

NBA rookie of the year

To honest and as a huge fan of duncan, I dont think Kobe stans are totally wrong when they say duncan isnt the superstar of that team anymore.

Parker is clearly the best player, but the thing is the spurs talent is so evenly distributed that in game 1 where parker scores 2 points in the second half the spurs still beat the Thunder (who many experts said was the best team in the west and some said in the league) in a blowout.

In comparison I cant imagine how the heat would win if lebron scores only 2 points in the second half.

Blasphemous post here, but if duncan retires and pop stays, i think the spurs stay an elite team.
    If pop leaves then they might be a lottery team.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 05-23-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Good High School Starter haji_d_robertas's Avatar

Gregg Popovich has mentioned that he will retire when Tim Duncan retires.

You've already used the 'mouth-breather' comment in another post.

I don't see how I warranted this response?

Anyways, Parker along with Gino and TD have been playing a long while now and have won everything imaginable. To go out on top with another ring and finish up with your best buddies would be a good ending IMO.