Default Embiid: the real player to tank for?

Obviously all eyes will be on Andrew Wiggins for his freshman season, and I certainly believe he has the potential to be a star in the league - Dr. J 2.0 isn't out of the question. That said, one of his teammates often gets below the radar even though he's just as tantalizing as an NBA prospect: Joel Embiid, a center who will probably be drafted in either 2014 (if he goes the Drummond route) or 2015.

An athletic, talented 7 footer who used to play volleyball and soccer, he's only started playing basketball in 2011 but has already been compared to Andrew Bynum... Hakeem Olajuwon (!), including by his own coach, and Tim Duncan (!!). Those aren't the kind of comparisons you throw around for anyone, although they make sense because they're two greats with backgrounds in other sports who picked up basketball relatively late. That said, he's so raw right now he could also turn out to be an Olowokandi-style bust, and there's always the risk of injury as with Bynum. Is there even a small chance he could be the next great two-way center and would you tank for him?

Here's a video of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCT8dlUXfbQ, where he shows flashes of pure brilliance (check out the spin at 2:22) as well as evidence of his immaturity as a player right now. Personally I'm really high on him, even if he doesn't deliver in his freshman season - he probably won't, and neither did a lot of the great centers. If he decides to enter the draft, I would definitely take a chance on him at number 2... he could be a nice consolation prize for the team that missed on Wiggins. He's the first prospect in a while who seems to have all the tools of the classical, dominant center - the right talent in the right body.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 10-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Embiid: the real player to tank for?

I really hope he stays the second year. Self has shown that he is terrific at developing big guys - Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, the Morris twins, Darrell Arthur. Now while these guys aren't exactly lighting up the NBA, you have to also realize that dudes like Aldrich and Withey were nothing to begin with and others like Kaun play very important roles with good teams like CSKA Moscow.

Selden is another Kansas guy who I think is going to be amazing that is getting way less attention because of Wiggins. If I was a GM and based on what I know now, I would easily take him before guys like Harrison.

Kentucky is deeper but I think Kansas' recruiting class will be the better NBA players.

Saw him for the first time in the summer all star circuit and I was really impressed. He's a legit 7 footer with an NBA body and has the length and athleticism that can really set him apart if he refines his game.

I remember in the Jordan game he had some huge blocks that came out of nowhere and showed a soft touch on the offensive end you wouldn't expect from a "raw" big man. Wiggins will outshine him but it reminds me of the John Wall/DeMarcus Cousins duo at Kentucky a few years back where Wall was the consensus #1 but Cousins was a lock for the top 5 as well.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

I don't know if he's really a go-to number 2 pick. He looks more raw than Drummond coming into college, and a lot less athletic too.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    I don't know if he's really a go-to number 2 pick. He looks more raw than Drummond coming into college, and a lot less athletic too.
    I don't think you've watched at least one of them play. Luckily embiid is dream shaking dudes and dropping lefty hook shots.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'd honestly be happy if the Raptors can get any of the top 5-6 guys. I don't care which one although Parker looks like he'll instantly be a legit #1 scoring option in the NBA so I'm favouring him a bit right now. I can't comment on Exum because I know next to nothing about him.

There isn't just one player to tank for. You get a top 5 pick, you're thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I'd honestly be happy if the Raptors can get any of the top 5-6 guys. I don't care which one although Parker looks like he'll instantly be a legit #1 scoring option in the NBA so I'm favouring him a bit right now. I can't comment on Exum because I know next to nothing about him.

There isn't just one player to tank for. You get a top 5 pick, you're thrilled.
    if you get a top 10 pick your thrilled

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    I don't think you've watched at least one of them play. Luckily embiid is dream shaking dudes and dropping lefty hook shots.
    dream shaking!?

link?

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    if you get a top 10 pick your thrilled
    well as a toronto fan you would aim for top 5 why because after top 5 its a redundant player .. they have gay derozan and ross..

after top 5

you may be looking at caulie stein, aaron gordon, one of the harrison twins.
    GRIII, gary harris, wayne selden, james young..

top 5 would be key addition to raptors.

they might let gay walk ..

worst case for raptors would be exum which is like a penny type of player ...

about embiid he has a soft touch which could very well separate him from other bigs.. the blocks will come naturally... so if he can maximize his potential dude will be the future shaq like stats..better free throws as well

I like what I've seen of Embiid so far (although some of the comments above about the quality of his offensive game at the moment are ridiculous) and he should definitely factor into the top 8 somewhere (and the way I look at it right now, there's a pretty clear top 8) given his height, athleticism and touch. What does concern me though is how raw he is and what limited playing time he's getting right now (the most he's played thus far is 25 minutes and while he looked great in that game, it was against Iona). When he gets to the NBA, he's going to take a bit to get up to speed at that level and the expectations might be a bit much more if the franchise who drafts him isn't patient. I'd just like to see him get more playing time before really launching into what his potential is.
    Last edited by steve; 12-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    well as a toronto fan you would aim for top 5 why because after top 5 its a redundant player .. they have gay derozan and ross..

after top 5

you may be looking at caulie stein, aaron gordon, one of the harrison twins.
    GRIII, gary harris, wayne selden, james young..

top 5 would be key addition to raptors.

they might let gay walk ..

worst case for raptors would be exum which is like a penny type of player ...

about embiid he has a soft touch which could very well separate him from other bigs.. the blocks will come naturally... so if he can maximize his potential dude will be the future shaq like stats..better free throws as well
    Imho the new Raptors GM will draft the best player available in his opinion, unless ownership orders him to take Wiggins under all circumstances. What they won

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Imho the new Raptors GM will draft the best player available in his opinion, unless ownership orders him to take Wiggins under all circumstances. What they won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwSvIOOzMo

highlights after just 1 year of playing ball. #volleyballinspireshoops

Funny thing is, the team that ends up getting him may be the one team that actually tried to win (although they failed miserably).