Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: rank these 4 in explosiveness

Westbrook is one of 2 players I have seen that makes the rim do that popping "boom" sound when he dunks, the other being Lebron (especially in his peak 2009-2010 form). I don't think any PG in history has his explosiveness. Just look at how high the ball bounces after his slams, and how the net pops up.

Just look at this, like a video game character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZaW2XH4JE

1. Westbrook
    2. Rose
    3. Wade
    4. Iverson (he was different type of explosive, more of a speedy gonzales)

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Westbrook is one of 2 players I have seen that makes the rim do that popping "boom" sound when he dunks, the other being Lebron (especially in his peak 2009-2010 form). I don't think any PG in history has his explosiveness. Just look at how high the ball bounces after his slams, and how the net pops up.

For me its hard to decide between pre injury rose and westbrook in terms of explosivness but i personally prefer Rose's ability and would choose it if given the choice. Pre injury his flat out pace, ability to change direction with the ball and of course ability to get up off his feet was out of this world. I seriously think the 3rd dunk in the following video is one of the greatest of all time given the fact Rose in reality is 6'1 yet able to elevate up and around the rim and still dunk it off two feet. Crazy sh!t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04uyfgVgjY

But yeah Westbrook is at that level too I just prefer how Rose does it.

Westbrook.

Westbrook
    Rose
    Wade
    Iverson

Westbrook has the overall best combination all factors of athleticism. But all of them are freaks in their own way and have advantages over each other in different ways.

Pre-ACL Rose to me had the best bounce, Westbrook and Wade get up there and Westbrook's crazy power and intensity adds to his bounce and makes it look higher than it actually is, but sheer vertical explosiveness, Rose to me off two feet made it look the most effortless. Especially Simeon Rose, dude was otherworldly. Lavine-like. Rose was probably the fastest at his top speed as well, and imo had the quickest change of direction. Iverson is close though.

Wade has the best body control..just had complete mastery of the timing of his movements, agility, contorting around contact, everything. Also the strongest by a good margin.

Iverson probably had the best stamina, the burden he had in terms of minutes, offensive responsibility at that size and taking that much contact pre-rule changes..pretty insane.

Westbrook is probably the most explosive in terms of acceleration from standstill. I think Rose's top speed is probably higher but Westbrook looks like he was shot out of a cannon at times.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton

I think it's cool what you're saying but I literally laughed out loud at the idea that making a boom sound on the rim corresponds to explosive athleticism.

That being said others have touched on this but their athleticism is very different. From a misdirection standpoint nobody can touch AI. From a pure 0-60 perspective it's hard to argue with Westbrook. Wade had a great deal of both, which makes him the most complete player on the list.
    Last edited by Mrofir; 12-08-2015 at 03:39 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQvTABMutyw

Some dunks by Rose during warmups at Simeon. Not the greatest angle and has the rest of the team doing layups and shit too, but you'll know Rose when you see him. The ones where he's doing his typical cocked back 2 handers (both the regular one and the one off the backboard) and gets his head at rim level basically from like 1 step and a gather is just ridiculous. That's 44-45+" vert right there. I've seen Westbrook get close to rim level with momentum but from 1 or 2 steps off a standstill I don't think he gets up like young Rose.

Then you got shit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsaXkMs9XE

Probably the most effortless leaper I've ever seen as far as point guards go.

would u describe Kemp explosive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportal
    I would have LOVED to have seen my boy Wade, without the Marquette knee operation. Can you imagine it? He still played like he did, having cut his meniscus, just like Rose, right?

Westbrook
    Rose
    Wade
    Iverson
    if that happens then his draft stock doesn't take a hit and he might very well be picked before the heat get him, changing the trajectory of his career for better or worse

imagine wade with knees on the pistons

Westbrook
    Wade
    Rose
    Iverson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Well, since we are not ranking overall athleticism then it is Westbrook and everyone else.

Westbrook is simply way more explosive. He's not as fast as AI, can't jump as high as Rose, doesn't have the overall body control and agility of Wade...but he outshines them all by a lot in terms of just pure explosive takeoff speed + power = explosion.

He is to the point guards (in terms of explosiveness), as Shaq was to centers.

I guess if I had to rank them (explosiveness):

1. Westbrook
    2. Rose
    3. Wade
    4. AI

Overall athleticism I'd say is a wash. They are all athletic in different ways...but peak at about the same level.
    Correct ^

1. Rose
    2. Westbrook
    3. Wade
    4. AI

That's not saying AI wasn't athletic, he was a speed demon for sure but just wasn't as EXPLOSIVE as the rest

Westbrook is clearly on another level

The other three are all close