Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: How many players in NBA history could guard 1-5 Effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    One thing I can agree with you is that the bigs today are a joke compared to say 1995. I see a lot of your points though. Let's just leave it at that.

Id like to be clear...I dont think you are wrong...so much as not looking at it the way I am.

Im picturing an actual basketball game...Pippen on say....whoever....Noel...one of those guys I listed in the real games the Bulls played. Im just trying to imagine what you think is gonna go down....where Nerlens Noel just goes to town on Scottie Pippen. Or...trying to imagine Pippen stuck to a guy like Asik for 40 minutes. I cant see it. Its not realistic.

What is possible...what can be done? Him ending up on them from time to time as events unfold...and nothing happening because of it.

Im not picturing 40 minutes on the block with Asik trying to do his Shaq impersonation because that would never happen.

He would technically be assigned to him....and just leave him to help on Davis now and then...he would be all over the place.

I cant even picture this world some people seem to think would exist where these scrubs take it back to high school and try to drop 50 because Pippen/Lebron/whoever is on them.

I saw a claim Duncan would drop 70 on Lebron. Lebron is (depending on the seasons in question)bigger than Kenyon Martin. A worse post defender? Sure. Not by enough that Duncan goes 10-25 vs Kenyon but is gonna drop 70 on Lebron.

I just feel like people arent being real about this issue because they arent thinking it through.

A good defensive forward...is not that great a mismatch for a bad center...or an average guard. And we have way more bad centers and average guards than superstars.

I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Id like to be clear...I dont think you are wrong...so much as not looking at it the way I am.

Im picturing an actual basketball game...Pippen on say....whoever....Noel...one of those guys I listed in the real games the Bulls played. Im just trying to imagine what you think is gonna go down....where Nerlens Noel just goes to town on Scottie Pippen. Or...trying to imagine Pippen stuck to a guy like Asik for 40 minutes. I cant see it. Its not realistic.

What is possible...what can be done? Him ending up on them from time to time as events unfold...and nothing happening because of it.

Im not picturing 40 minutes on the block with Asik trying to do his Shaq impersonation because that would never happen.

He would technically be assigned to him....and just leave him to help on Davis now and then...he would be all over the place.

I cant even picture this world some people seem to think would exist where these scrubs take it back to high school and try to drop 50 because Pippen/Lebron/whoever is on them.

I saw a claim Duncan would drop 70 on Lebron. Lebron is (depending on the seasons in question)bigger than Kenyon Martin. A worse post defender? Sure. Not by enough that Duncan goes 10-25 vs Kenyon but is gonna drop 70 on Lebron.

I just feel like people arent being real about this issue because they arent thinking it through.

A good defensive forward...is not that great a mismatch for a bad center...or an average guard. And we have way more bad centers and average guards than superstars.

I'll leave it at that.

Well, matchups exist for a reason. Every player is assigned a specific player to guard because they are the closest in size/skills. What is the first thing that happens when you check into a game? Find out who your man is. Of course, we can both agree that this doesn't mean you will be glued to this guy the entire game. Within the flow of a game, you end up guarding other people here and there.

But i'll tell you what would happen if Pippen was "assigned" to Noel even if you take away the fact that Noel wouldn't even try to score on Pip. There were be the extra rebounding, the extra put backs, the controlling of the paint area, etc that Noel would take advantage of. Noel is sort of a bad example because he weighs just a tad more than Pippen. But you get guys into the 240 lbs range and that is where you will see these bigs wear Pip out. Every time Pip has to bend down and get leverage and bang away down low, it will wear on him. It has nothing to do with guarding a big from scoring. It's just the general play down low and the physicality that comes with playing down low.

Get a legit big who knows what he's doing and knows how to use his size and these guys would wear Pip out pretty quickly. They have positions for a reason.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

The Worm Dennis Romdan is the only capable of guarding 1-5 effectively

Kemp

Kobe, Rodman.

Surprised at the lack of Klove mentions. when he's locked in he's capable of being the most versatile defensive big in the league. Dude probably had the greatest defensive play of all time on one of the greatest offensive players ever in an isolation with the championship on the line. He's small enough to keep up with guards but wide and strong enough to hold his own against big men.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    you end up guarding other people here and there.
    It's not here or there tho. Different teams have different defensive schemes. Some require more help defense, constant switching etc. Some guys get used as a roamer, some are hid defensively and get stuck on a non offensive player. Not to mention matchups will get messed up in transition especially in a fast paced game. Obviously coaches want certain matchups but screens, picks etc. are usually designed to try and ruin that. I can't remember how many times I seen Nene get switched out on Steve Nash and he'd isolate, dribble, easy J. I agree with what KBlaze is saying. Game isn't played on paper. Certainly matchups that last the majority of the game in some cases but even with stamina/fatigue you'll see it get switched up. The year Denver shut down Chris Paul they used K.Martin, D.Jones, C.Billups.

I'd say Pippen/KG/LeBron are the most impressive defenders from a versatility stand point. KG/Pippen more so than LeBron. It's probably the most valuable aspect of defense outside of straight up rim protection IMO. Gives a defense so many options when you have a guy who can be moved around on anybody.