Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: I don't think you can take Embiid over Wiggins...

Sorry to be posting once more in this thread, but Embiid and Thabeet have essentially nothing in common other than their measurements.

Thabeet was always a mechanical offensive player with almost zero basketball skills. The dreaded "project" who doesn't have anything to show right now, but may develop this or that in the future. From the start I thought he was overhyped, and many people were questioning him at the number 2 pick. They'd seen this script before.

Whereas I thought Embiid was a number 1 pick kind of talent literally the moment I first saw a video of him, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one... That was months (or was it more than a year even?) before he even stepped on the NCAA court.

And he's been seen as the potential 1st pick in the draft for much more than two months. Even before the season started, Bill Self was comparing him to Hakeem and Duncan, saying he was the best talent on the team (meaning better than Wiggins) and implying he would end up as a number 1 pick in the draft.

As for the Davis comparison, once again Embiid's per 40 stats were almost identical.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Sorry to be posting once more in this thread, but Embiid and Thabeet have essentially nothing in common other than their measurements.

Thabeet was always a mechanical offensive player with almost zero basketball skills. The dreaded "project" who doesn't have anything to show right now, but may develop this or that in the future. From the start I thought he was overhyped, and many people were questioning him at the number 2 pick. They'd seen this script before.

Whereas I thought Embiid was a number 1 pick kind of talent literally the moment I first saw a video of him, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one... That was months (or was it more than a year even?) before he even stepped on the NCAA court.

And he's been seen as the potential 1st pick in the draft for much more than two months. Even before the season started, Bill Self was comparing him to Hakeem and Duncan, saying he was the best talent on the team (meaning better than Wiggins) and implying he would end up as a number 1 pick in the draft.

As for the Davis comparison, once again Embiid's per 40 stats were almost identical.
    Why would you be sorry?

I'm enjoying your posts.

My initial reaction when the Cavs received the No. 1 pick was just to say, "Take Wiggins," because I hadn't really paid a ton of attention to the top of this draft class, having assumed we'd be picking late in the lottery. I had seen some of Embiid and loved what I saw, but I also heard about his back.

It took me all of about three hours of reviewing the tape after we got the No. 1 pick to swing way in the favor of Embiid. And, it's hard for me to imagine anyone really delving into these guys and not coming to the same conclusion.

That's not to say Parker and Wiggins aren't good prospects... they are, and they're very different.

But, Embiid is just... wow. So much potential. And his floor is also incredibly high. Even if his scoring never translates the way it looks like it probably will, you're getting a rim protecting, rebounding big man who can pass. His passing is probably his most underrated skill, too. I've seen him many times accept double teams/traps, patiently survey the floor and throw darts to the corners/wings for wide open shots.

That's incredibly important in the NBA and one of the reasons the Spurs are as good as they are... Great passing big men.

I am your soldier!

You've got to take Embiid... But you've also got to have or hire a great big man coach like Clifford Ray.

Don't just send him to Hakeem for 3 weeks. Really work him in the post, avoid 3 ball shooting.

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

The only concern with Embiid is his back.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

kawhi leonard , LBJ, Melo, paul george, and durant is proving that the nba is not about being big in this generation ...

If both kawhi and george transform into a better player then i dont see why wiggins wont . They were all quite raw but can almost do it all.

I rule the local playground returnofthemack's Avatar

Got to have the bigs. Gonna be mad if the cavs don't take Embiid. Everyone can say how the nba isn't about the bigs anymore but all it will take is one of these guys (like Embiid) reaching their potential to change everyone's mind.

bump any updates regarding embiid's medical ?

again to my point no body thought that kawhi leonard would be this good ... you can all things about wiggins being raw and all but if kawhi can do this .. wiggins can as well if he works harder.