Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: NBA life expectancy is 4.7 years, 60% of players go broke?

Alot of you poster are ridiculous, it's not white/black thing, its more of rich/poor thing. If you grow up poor around people that don't know how to manage money, chances are you aren't going to be adequately prepared to handle money. Also it's an American problem, these NBA players get paid check to check like every other American, AND LIKE MOST OTHER AMERICANS LIVE ABOVE THEIR MEANS AND LACK SIX MONTH-YEAR SAVINGS OF THEIR SALARY. On top these NBA players get outrages loans when they sign their NBA rookie contract or New contract, which puts them in even more debt, there alot factors of why NBA players go broke.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    They go broke because they spend they're money like morons, as I previously mentioned.
    Well you obviously know nothing about it because Pippen didn't go broke because of bad spending. He put his money into poor investments. The point is that its easy to talk from the outside looking in, but there are a lot more factors than just spending money on bullshit than why people go broke.

Banned

60% of player go broke? hard to belive. maybe if you put guys that played 1-2 games in the nba into the equation, i mean from all the guys that played a game.

that's not corect. you have to put in guys that played at least one season and got paid more than 40,000-80,000$ the amount of a week contract.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Even stars go broke. Just ask Iverson and Pippen.
    Pippen is not broke nor has he ever been & Iverson will retire comfortably.

The 60% numbers probably include every ex NBA player down to those who signed a 10 day contract to make sensational headlines.

HLN made a big deal of an ex Dallas Cowboy charged with murder & I tuned in to find out it was an ex practice squad guy the organization nor players even remembered. But he is another negative statistic :'Ex NFL Player/Cowboy charged with a violent crime'.

Bankruptcy records are public so until reporters release the names(besides a few stars) those numbers mean nothing to me.

Sensationalism.

Well you obviously know nothing about it because Pippen didn't go broke because of bad spending. He put his money into poor investments. The point is that its easy to talk from the outside looking in, but there are a lot more factors than just spending money on bullshit than why people go broke.
    He made more than enough money to recover from bad business decisions. He spent over 4 million alone on a fucking jet so don't give me that b.s.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Yeah but what's the average salary in the NBA? Isn't it like 5.5 million dollars or something? If you earn a salary like that for a few years you're in very good shape. You just have to learn to say no to people and not buy things you obviously don't need, i.e. movie theater in your fucking house or a goddamn jet.
    Average salary is very misleading. 3 Heat players are making double digit millions annually, and you have a few guys making 3-5 mil per year. But what about Dexter Pittman, Justin Hamilton, Terrell Harris, Jarvis Varnado, Robert Dozier? For every Heat player that makes millions, there are some making hundreds of thousands, which is obviously still not bad. But taking the median makes more sense. Otherwise a team with a Kobe + scrubs could average 5 mil, despite 1 guy making 30 mil and others making 1 mil a year. Remember that the NBA roster is comprised of 15 players, while most rotations only amount to half that. The other half is where you see a <4 year life expectancy.

After federal taxes, state taxes, whatever union fee the players union charges, agent fees (which could be as much as 10% of whatever the contract they got you), a 2 mil per year deal could easily turn into net $500,000 in your pocket each year. You retire at 28 or 29 with about $2-3 mil? That's supposed to somehow last you AND your family (parents + wife + kids) for the rest of your life? There are white collar workers that retire at 55 with more money at a more financially stable situation.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    60% go broke. These guy get a free ride to a college degree. You know how many people would love to have a full paid scholarship. Dumbasses. Well we know Dwight will be part of the broke statistic.
    I am no Dwight fan, and i think he is an idiot, but he has made idiot proof money. 0% chance he goes broke.

Most NBA guys that go broke are probably not making star money.

Although the average salary may be $5.5 million per year, I would guess the median salary is much lower.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I am no Dwight fan, and i think he is an idiot, but he has made idiot proof money. 0% chance he goes broke.

Most NBA guys that go broke are probably not making star money.

Although the average salary may be $5.5 million per year, I would guess the median salary is much lower.
    Dwight has 5 kids and counting. With all those child support payments he'll definitely go broke once his playing days are over unless he invests his money wisely.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    Average salary is very misleading. 3 Heat players are making double digit millions annually, and you have a few guys making 3-5 mil per year. But what about Dexter Pittman, Justin Hamilton, Terrell Harris, Jarvis Varnado, Robert Dozier? For every Heat player that makes millions, there are some making hundreds of thousands, which is obviously still not bad. But taking the median makes more sense. Otherwise a team with a Kobe + scrubs could average 5 mil, despite 1 guy making 30 mil and others making 1 mil a year. Remember that the NBA roster is comprised of 15 players, while most rotations only amount to half that. The other half is where you see a <4 year life expectancy.

After federal taxes, state taxes, whatever union fee the players union charges, agent fees (which could be as much as 10% of whatever the contract they got you), a 2 mil per year deal could easily turn into net $500,000 in your pocket each year. You retire at 28 or 29 with about $2-3 mil? That's supposed to somehow last you AND your family (parents + wife + kids) for the rest of your life? There are white collar workers that retire at 55 with more money at a more financially stable situation.
    Thread

NBA rookie of the year

Dwight has 5 kids and counting. With all those child support payments he'll definitely go broke once his playing days are over unless he invests his money wisely.
    he has 8 kids, and counting but dwight is easily going to make over $150 million from the NBA.

toss in another $100 million from advertisments.

He also has a personality so he could get on a TV show and talk about the NBA.

"you need to have a backup plan and have life in perspective"

Not if you're a star and you make 100 million dollars in your career, you just have to refrain from being a complete retard and not blow your money on stupid shit.
    Yeah. Just don't be Antoine Walker or Allen Iverson.

The problem is a prominent percentage of NBA players come from poor families and don't know what to do with money once they get it. So they buy Escalades, Hummers, and crazy diamond-studded jewelry.

When they get to the NBA, they should be required to have a certified agent, business manager, and financial adviser.