Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Default Re: NCAA Alleges Major Recruiting Violations Against Memphis & Derrick Rose

Is anyone really shocked that programs like Memphis and USC are dirty?

That's why clean programs like ILLINOIS and Michigan State deserve a ton of praise for their constant ability to remain in the polls despite going up against "schools" that pay their "student" athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I don't recall exactly, but he's made hundreds of hundreds of impermissible phone calls throughout his career. I'm sure some of them had to be to Gordon. Sampson did hire Gordon's relatives as well as overlook a drug problem that was going on with the team.
    You don't recall?!

Indiana had a plethora of players, like Basset and Ellis, who actually smoked crack! This is no lie and Eric Gordon even said as much. When the Indiana basketball program would go on the road some players, like Gordon and DJ White, would stay in their rooms at night while others like Bassett, Ellis, and a few other scrubs that didn't get much playing time would be blowing blunts, smoking crack, and screwing hoes. No joke. This is why they were kicked off the team but Kelvin Sampson didn't care. That Hoosier program was as dirty as they get.

The most pathetic thing was Sampson making star recruits' fathers his assistant coaches so he could land their son for his team...what a clown Scumson is.
    Last edited by John Smith; 05-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Default Re: NCAA Alleges Major Recruiting Violations Against Memphis & Derrick Rose

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    You don't recall?!
    Don't recall exactly if Gordon was directly implicated in the phone call investigation. I know about the drug problems.

It is also alleged that Memphis permitted an associate of a player to travel with the team to some road games for free, an extra benefit that would amount to $2,260

Let's see if I understand this correctly:

- The NCAA organization makes lots of money
    - The Universities make lots of money
    - Athletic Directors make lots of money
    - The Television networks make lots of money
    - The Head Coach and Coaching staff make lots of money
    - All the other providers of College sporting gear and accessories make money
    - Sponsors and advertisers get what they want
    - Actual players who play the game are slave labor because they are "amateurs"

Makes sense to me........

What a scandal!!!!! Couple thousand dollars to a friend!!!!!!! GASP!!!!!!!!!!! How DARE you try to profit from your labor!!!!!!
    Last edited by bagelred; 05-28-2009 at 10:16 AM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    What a scandal!!!!! Couple thousand dollars to a friend!!!!!!! GASP!!!!!!!!!!! How DARE you try to profit from your labor!!!!!!
    I'm sorry, but equating free tuition, room and board, as well as other campus benefits to slavery is just ludicrous. If you haven't realized, the majority of colleges and universities lose money on their athletic programs because it's not profitable. Now you're asking to pay players on top of paying off their scholarships? A full academic ride is already over $100,000 when you include dorm fees, and food, travel expenses.

Having worked two jobs in college to only pay half my tuition as my parents paid off the other half, I'd gladly take a scholarship and they print "Wang" on every T-shirt they sold and not make a dime just to play the sport I love and get a free education... and somehow you deem that slavery? Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but equating free tuition, room and board, as well as other campus benefits to slavery is just ludicrous. If you haven't realized, the majority of colleges and universities lose money on their athletic programs because it's not profitable. Now you're asking to pay players on top of paying off their scholarships? A full academic ride is already over $100,000 when you include dorm fees, and food, travel expenses.

Having worked two jobs in college to only pay half my tuition as my parents paid off the other half, I'd gladly take a scholarship and they print "Wang" on every T-shirt they sold and not make a dime just to play the sport I love and get a free education... and somehow you deem that slavery? Give me a break.
    Most big time football and basketball programs make millions....there would be no college athletics if not for this fact. Sleezeball coaches are all about the money....I went to Ohio State and they paid players.

Give me a break.
    I hope more and more of the elite athletes skip college and go to the international leagues to get paid. Thus causing the collapse of the entire NCAA program......

Please?

Banned

I hope more and more of the elite athletes skip college and go to the international leagues to get paid. Thus causing the collapse of the entire NCAA program......

Please?
    Your panties soiled?

College basketball wont collapse because the elite HS athletes go to Europe where they flounder on the bench unable to adjust to the system & culture before taking their chance at the NBA, while most basketball fans forget about them until the NBA Draft.

Actually it would make college basketball much better with more 2-4 year players in school so teams arent having complete makeovers every year.

The point is that players choose to do this on their own when they break rules while going to college, they know that taking $1000 in an envelope is wrong, but they still do it anyways.These ones are the ones who dont see the actual point of college basketball and treat it like its the AAU circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator

The point is that players choose to do this on their own when they break rules while going to college, they know that taking $1000 in an envelope is wrong, but they still do it anyways.These ones are the ones who dont see the actual point of college basketball and treat it like its the AAU circuit.
    Why is it "wrong"? Because the NCAA says so? Seems very right to me. You are providing a service. And you want to get paid for that service.

NCAA feels they have a monopoly on the system. I hope athletes realize there is a better choice than a "free edamacation". Please.

Go to Europe everyone.....

Very good NBA starter

i can sit here all day and pretend how i think they are so incredibly disgusting, but that is just a load of "holier than thou" horse sh!t.

dude, if i were a superstar athlete in high school, and hundreds of schools want my ass, and some even beg to offer me and my family money and benefits under the table, i'd take advantage of the situation too, shiiiet.

Banned

Why is it "wrong"? Because the NCAA says so? Seems very right to me. You are providing a service. And you want to get paid for that service.
    Its wrong because you shouldn't take money from strangers, didnt your mother ever tell you that?

The NCAA makes the rules, and when you sign on to play college basketball you are agreeing to follow the rules, and by breaking them you not only affect yourself but your teammates & their families, and your coaches and their families.

NCAA feels they have a monopoly on the system. I hope athletes realize there is a better choice than a "free edamacation". Please.

Go to Europe everyone.....
    Im sorry but a Free Education is important to a lot of people, espescially ones that come from poverty who actually want to learn and establish a career or interest outside of basketball whenever the dream comes to an end.
    Not every player is going to make $1.5 Million in the NBA, there are many who will end up playing in Bulgaria for $99,000 or less per year that may be unable to pay to finish the rest of their college education to advance themselves after they are done playing basketball.

If they want to go to Europe they can do so, they better be ready to adjust to the style of play and culture while making hours long bus rides to their next games playing in front of 4,000 people while being booed heavily when they struggle.

What great responsibility for a 19 year old.

When if you took the college route all you have to worry about is going to class each morning, and being ready for basketball practice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    dude, if i were a superstar athlete in high school, and hundreds of schools want my ass, and some even beg to offer me and my family money and benefits under the table, i'd take advantage of the situation too, shiiiet.
    Even if it hurts your teammates and their families along with your coaches and their families.

Your actions affect others, the few who dont realize this are usually the most ignorant.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGreg
    Ok? How are they going to be "forced" to forfeit their 38 won games and Final Four appearance?
    That stuff is done. If i'm wrong, can someone please explain to me what that actually means?
    it means its off the records. looks like cal pulled a kelvin sampson. have fun UK

Please?
    How many roster spots do you think there are in European leagues? You do realize that the vast, vast majority of NCAA players would not be able to make a roster in Europe? It is high level basketball over there, played by seasoned veterans, most of the European leagues are not bush leagues in terms of talent, plus each team is only allowed to have a certain number of foreign players. Even assuming you do go to Europe, most of the teams can't pay you that much, you're not going to be making 6-figures as a bench warmer on a lot of those teams. Frankly, unless you become an established rotation player and get a correspondingly lucrative contract (again, the vast majority of American college basketball athletes, recieving free educations, are NOT good enough to achieve this) a university education would be more valuable in the long run.

In college, NCAA stars dominate against guys their own age, with inferior talent, physical ability and skill level. That would not be the case for most young American players against veteran European pros, see Brandon Jennings. The top HS PG in America is riding pine in Europe.

Some of the elite players who were destined for the NBA anyway will start doing it and some will do alright, but the idea that this would kill NCAA basketball is ridiculous.

Yes, we'll be missing out on watching a few stars play in college, but that doesn't mean fans will stop watching their teams or that March Madness will cease to be an exciting tournament, and therefore NCAA basketball will continue to make money.

The fact is a full university education, plus room, board, national TV exposure, being treated like kings on campus, prestige after graduation, not to mention they probably get to keep a lot of their gear, is adequate compensation. If they value their education and actually learn something it will earn them plenty of money over the course of their lives.

Now, the NCAA does make a lot of money from these basketball players playing, and maybe the players should get a cut. But would it be an equal cut for all D1 players, or would only the players who go to high major schools get paid? Mid and Low major schools don't pull in a lot of revenue. And it would totally kill the idea that these are student athletes, many of the players wouldn't value their education at all and would just look at going to college as a 4 year pay cheque. They would be pros.

And how is Calipari off the hook for this? Didn't it happen under him? Isn't it likely that he's the one who had somebody grease the academic wheels for Mr. Rose? If he would be in **** had he stayed at Memphis, why should fleeing to kentucky change anything? He's still a corrupt slimeball.
    Last edited by A.M.G.; 05-28-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Even if it hurts your teammates and their families along with your coaches and their families.

Your actions affect others, the few who dont realize this are usually the most ignorant.
    hurt the coaches? like they're the innocent ones. they run the friggin dirty programs.

the ones who assume coaches don't know what's going on are pretty ignorant.

Saw a basketball once

d rose is from chicago so he takes the ACT, the story says SAT