Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Was Melo robbed of 2004 ROTY Award?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    It tells me that you missed the point of the thread. This is about their rookie seasons, not the ensuing years afterward.
    Forgive me for not taking real14 threads seriously

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Forgive me for not taking real14 threads seriously
    Well that's your call, but regardless of the poster( and I'm not familiar with him/her), it's not an absurd question.

Yeah he was. More PPG, more RPG in less minutes + playoffs

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqTwizzle
    Eh.

A 2.1% difference in efficiency is certainly not negligible. That is significant.

Also while they scored about the same Carmelo got his volume in 3 less minutes and also outrebounded Bron in 3 less minutes.

R-Melo was also the better defender of the two.

2.8-apg isn't bad at all for a an average SF or any SF who isn't in a playmaking role.

Yes he was a better playmaker but don't act like the gap is gigantic.
    We are talking 3 extra assists.

3 assists VS 2% efficiency, better rebounding and 3 less minutes is close...
    No, the gap in Lebron's passing and Melo is and was gigantic and it is the largest factor in why Lebron is and was better than Melo.

And statistically speaking, if you just want to talk about stats, 3 assists per game is the difference between someone who is 15 on the assists per game list and someone who is number 45 on it. It is indeed a pretty large gap.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 12-14-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    True Story: Besides his TMZ stories, John Max has never spoken a single word out of HIS mouth/keyboard

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/le...ear.453300383/
    AW calling people out for copy/paste jobs

I remember that 2004 season. People were saying this then, too.

People were just trying to be original. Lebron's generational greatness was apparent even then, and it felt too boring to acknowledge it. Melo was never for one moment on Lebron's level.

Lebron was the most impressive rookie in 2004. He was a clear cut above Melo, who was a clear cut above Wade at the time.

I remember people saying after Detroit won the championship in 04: "Imagine if they had gotten Melo instead of Darko. Scary." Many people replied: "Well, if they had, they may not have traded for Sheed. Wouldn't have had the same defensive identity. Who knows if they win."

Nobody would have said that if Lebron had been available at #2. They would have said, "Detroit screwed up. They picked the wrong guy. Period. I don't care if they won a title. They lost out on 6 more." Even in 2004.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqTwizzle
    RAPM makes sense sometimes and sometimes it gives absurd results.
    Its fine to post it but don't act like because RAPM says something it HAS to be true.

It is not really a great (this guy > that guy) stat.
    I'm good with all that. And in terms of ranking players it clearly isn't perfect.

But when we are talking about one guy adding 8 wins and one guy adding .3 wins we are talking about a MASSIVE chasm in on court impact.

Show me another case where one guy at .3 WPA could be argued a better player than a guy at 8 WPA and then we can talk. For all the discussion about one guy being too high or low, there is just no justification to be 320th in the league and pretending they are as good as a top 60 player.

Melo was the true winner of course. The thing is: Lebron was so hyped before he even plays that some guys guys voted on reputation. Although Lebron had the better career, that year Melo was better. Probably due to him being more ready than Lebron, since he spent a year in college. Lebron catch up shortly after, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    Melo was the true winner of course. The thing is: Lebron was so hyped before he even plays that some guys guys voted on reputation. Although Lebron had the better career, that year Melo was better. Probably due to him being more ready than Lebron, since he spent a year in college. Lebron catch up shortly after, though.
    lebron had better stats. it is as simple as that.